Railroad Line Forums - Along Fever Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Along Fever Creek
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann Spectrum 2-6-0 Topic Next Topic: Whats inside ???
Page: of 3

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  10:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fever Creek is/will be my home layout. Much like a California fever of the mid-1800's, I too will have a feverous dash to a goal. I have just 24 months before NNGC 2019's layout tours. I think the fireman's gonna have to pile on the fuel cuz this is gonna need a full head of steam. :D

-John

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  11:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the plan. It's both continuous run and light switching. A branch (lower right) allows attaching my modules from the CCC group for expanded switching activity. Planned industries include a mine, ore mill, and brewery along with several to-be-named businesses.

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  11:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the space right after the basic benchwork was finished. For now, it sits about 2 feet from the wall for construction access. Once the rear scenery is done, we'll shift it into position against the wall. The size is 11.5 ft by 10 ft. Nearly all of the track is within arms reach without aid of a step stool. The tunnels will have access on the fascia and from below (just in case).

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  11:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Fever Creek journey began 15 months ago with numerous layout doodles and layout shapes. I eventually felt satisfied with the above design, then intentionally set it aside. Sometimes you stare at something so long that you can't see potential problems. I picked it up 9 months ago. I found a few small items to adjust and fell into agreement with suggestions calling for a passing track on the left side. I set it aside again to ponder further on the grades I'd planned and settle on a benchwork style. In June, I broke ground (aka sawdust started flying). The benchwork was built in early July. Since this is a garage space and living in a warm/hot inland area, I paused to insulate the rollup garage door. Since then, most of the work has been on my workbench. An ore tipple was partly constructed to establish the elevation for the mine, 14 switches needed a turnout motor and a method of mounting them, and materials were gathered. Last weekend was the first real work on the track plan.

The image above shows the progress so far. You can see the mounting plates for a couple of the switches. These are 3/16" cabinet grade ply with 1/16" foam pad between the switch and the wood. The switches were gapped near the frog, jumpered, and continuity tested before being attached to the plates. They were also prefitted with throw rods for future animated switch stands (more on this at a later date).

-John

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  07:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How wide is the access path into the center?

Mike

jburch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  09:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on his drawing, a narrow two feet is my guess, but if it works for his needs, so be it.

Jeff

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  1:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes. 2 feet by 6 feet is the aisle. Yes it's not wide. This isn't a multi-person operations design. Perhaps three people at most depending on the use of the module branch. I could have gone wider at the expense of the module branch. The branch was more important to me than having a wide aisle in the center.

John

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  2:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree two feet. I'm lean, and careful, but two feet may present a problem for me.
I very much like the layout. HO does allow a layout like that to work in the given space.
I look forward to more.
ed

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  3:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks good , i fgeell the progress have a good time

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/16/2017 :  10:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nothing like a temperate day to speed grading crews along. The risers are pretty much done on the lower right section. The far left still has some grades to add and a few gaps to fill. A good day's work all in all.

-John

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2017 :  10:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This summer, I built an aisle that is 21" wide with the layout fascia ending 43" above the floor. I didn't hurry to make it permanent, so I could be sure I liked it. Feels quite spacious to me. I won't know for sure how it works for my 'broad gauge' friends till the first op session, but there will be only one train per session whose engineer or conductor needs to fit.

Thinking about it, 21" would feel a lot tighter to me if it was at 50" height - I can pull in my arms but my shoulders are 19" across.

Edited by - jbvb on 09/17/2017 10:53:26 PM

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/27/2017 :  01:12:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Main loop risers are done. Yes, that back corner is 8" above the tabletop. Not visible are the tunnel access hatches in the table for the two tunnels. Working on easing the grade transitions, then I'll be ready to put in some rails.

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  12:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought it might be of interest to see how I'm handling the switch machine mounting. Here's a top view. This is a 3/16 plywood pad. Onto this, I glued 1/16 foam sheet for some sound deadening. After painting it 'dirt' brown, I glued the turnout in place. I gapped the frog and jumpered the points prior to gluing it down. The pads rest in notches in the risers.

The underside looks like this. These are MTB Model MP5 switch motors. They are a slow-throw, lateral slide style rather than a fulcrum rotation (eg. tortoise). They are also not stall motors; they shut off at full stroke. They have inputs for two and three wire control and two sets of contacts. Power can be 9-12 vdc or 12-15vac. Their throw distance is adjustable from 3mm to 12mm in 3mm increments. The 3mm works perfectly with Peco On30 turnouts. I used #1x3/8 wood screws with a #1-72 washer to secure the motor to the pad.

Flatlander
New Hire

Posted - 10/14/2017 :  12:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where do you get the switch machines?
They are very intersting!

Flatlander
New Hire

Posted - 10/14/2017 :  12:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where do you get those switch machines?
They are very interesting

Flatlander
New Hire

Posted - 10/14/2017 :  12:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure how I posted that twice but sorry

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Bachmann Spectrum 2-6-0 Topic Next Topic: Whats inside ???  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000