Railroad Line Forums - Steam Era Freight Car Modeling
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Steam Era Freight Car Modeling
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: B&M Eastern Route progress Topic Next Topic: Removing old paint, from old brass locomotives
Page: of 3

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  12:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoy modeling "early rail", but I also have later interests as well, so this seems like the forum to drop those.
Just started a Westerfield Stockcar kit that I picked up for a few bucks at a club layout open house. Boy, what a brutal process it is cleaning these castings up! Sand the back down for a bit and then when it gets close go at it with a fresh sharp xacto blade. After that I hit the back with a stiff wire brush to get rid of some of the hairs and fuzz, then go back to it with a knife and micro file.
Keep going at it like this for a while and then keep going a little longer. Finally one side done. 1 hour per side it looks like. This is probably the most important step of any resin model; there won't be any hiding this later, it's got to be done right in this step before moving on.

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  12:56:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next car is a finished model, DL&W TOFC, with a Wiseman Model Freuhauf trailer and a Shortline Products DL&W Flatcar kit.

The flatcar kit consisted of a Central Valley Stockcar frame and various strips of styrene to constructs the sides. Also included was some laser cut wood decking, a resin casting for the trailer tramp and 5th wheel. It was a very minimalist kit. When it gets to the styrene work you are really creating the frame of the flatcar like the old stripwood kits. In the end a gratifying build rewards with an accurate model.
I based the trailer paint scheme on an old derelict Freuhauf trailer that has been sitting on the roadside in my hometown ever since I can remember. The flatcar model really became a means to display this interesting highway artifact.

Blair

Edited by - BlairM on 09/13/2017 01:10:05 AM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  07:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it! Those Fruehauf Trailers were built in Fort Wayne, Indiana for years. Very close to the International Harvester plant that built the tractors that pulled a ton of them. The Harvester plant became an indoor flea market, and the Fruehauf plant became a storage facility. In any event, very nice work.

Jim

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  07:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
will be interested to see how the Westerfeild kit comes along.
I would like to get my hands on some of them but the exchange rate just to high in Australia at the moment. I follow along with the steam era blogs and resin car works ect. Its another new world of models out there if your into kit building :-)

Modeling the Northern Pacific Yacolt Branch
https://yacoltbranch.blogspot.com.au/

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  08:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That flat car and trailer load looks great, Blair. What is the source of the Fruehauf trailer model?

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  10:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blair nice modeling, and a man after my own heart, I'm not much for the ready built models of today, and enjoy the shake the box early kits for the enjoyment of building something.
Great job with your Pig flatcar/Freuhauf trailer load. Stockcar work looking good as well. Looking forward to your progress.

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  10:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I have some more to photograph and post.

The trailer was purchased from Wiseman Models. Keith Wiseman sells lots of great kits. The trailer was a combination of resin and metal. The quality of his trailers is quite good, they have less flash than a number of the other trailer kits and the details are crisp.

He has acquired a number of kit lines and rolled it into his own offerings. He has the SS scale vehicles: steam tractors, road rollers, the details are amazing, equal to O scale (which he also sells). He sells on his website http://www.locopainter.com And also on eBay, although most folks prefer direct sales.

Blair

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  11:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some further Resin and craftsman models

LNE 10 hatch cement hopper from Funaro, this was the first resin kit I assembled several years ago now, I elected to do the extra hatch grabs on the top, but not the brake gear. I have another kit unbuilt, so maybe I will step it up for that build.

Next Kit is a Rutland Ballast Gon also from Funaro, it isn't in my anthracite region of focus, but I like the look of the car so I decided to build it anyway.

This kit Steve Funaro offered as both a flat kit and a one-piece kit. I built the flat kit and took advantage of the thin walls of the kit to open the doors up and model the wood sheathed interior using hand pressed and scribed sheet balsa wood from my scrap bin. It might be nice to add some blocking debris and a coat of weathering to age down the decals.

This is a styrene model still offered by Central Valley, the same people that make the tie-strips and Pratt bridges. The kit is nicely detailed flat styrene components with little flash at all. It is a well designed kit and has all the brake gear incorporated into the frame casting

And last, a different piggyback trailer from Sylvan scale models. This version was all resin, no metal castings, and required more work with sandpaper and files to get it all cleaned up.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  11:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loved building those Central Valley kits in the 70's and 80's. Before the great depression.
ed

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  11:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know those kits, the wood kits... I have a CRR of NJ reefer I need to take a trip back in time to build. I will update a few details on the kit a little bit, but probably somewhat keep in the spirit of working with wood and wood glue. Have a nice old-fashioned dinner with a Yuengling and then sit down at the workbench and transport myself to an earlier time.

The current Central Valley is a different company, it may be the same name and they may have purchased the company, but I don't think there is much carryover left. Jack Parker's son continues the work his father started with the bridges and tie strips and he still continues to develop new bridges.

This was an even more primitive kit from Ye-Olde Huff and Puff (similar to the old Central Valley) that I backdated even further by cutting it down to a 27ft long 1870s size and using Bitter Creek woodbeam trucks.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  09:04:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking cars. Blair.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  6:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blair,

Those are fine looking models. I especially like the DL&W flats with trailers.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/21/2017 :  12:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I really like how you created that old time CNJ reefer.

Horse

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2017 :  12:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on those trailers and cars'. Very nice work'..Love those old trailers'...

Ted

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  1:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, happy to share, everyone seams to find some appeal in those old trailers. Those trailers themselves are a whole nerdy sub-culture and niche unto themselves.

I got back to the Westerfield Harriman Stockcar last week and spent 3 hours with sandpaper, fresh xacto blades, files and a wire brush.
That is what it really takes to get a resin kit ready, at a minimum. I still see some parts that have a bit of fuzz in corners and some of the flat data boards that are not square. So a bit more time will need to be spent, but probably during the construction time.

This kit was particularly tough to de-flash due to the sides being super thin and how many openings there are between the boards.
next up will be squarely spotting, drilling, mounting, and trimming the grab irons.
I'm going to model this car as early as possible in the life of this variation, which should put it around 1916. S-40-5 SP Harriman Stockcar.

It's almost not worth posting here since the limits on image size are small to the point that most of the fine detail of the kit is lost. At this resolution it might as well be a Varney Stockcar...

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  2:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blair,

Resin kits for stock cars must require the most work as far as cleanup. Looks like you're doing nice careful work.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: B&M Eastern Route progress Topic Next Topic: Removing old paint, from old brass locomotives  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000