Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Take one down, donít pass it around Challenge Topic Next Topic: D&RGW HOn3 boxcar #3187
Page: of 13

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  7:48:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You bet Tony! Been following along and your pit looks great. since finishing it up last year, I really miss working on my SierraWest Scale Models Loco and Service Shops kit build. Such a wonderful design. Your work here brings back fond memories...

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  9:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes me want to add a pit! Looks fabulous!
Cheers,
Dave

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  4:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KKarns

You bet Tony! Been following along and your pit looks great. since finishing it up last year, I really miss working on my SierraWest Scale Models Loco and Service Shops kit build. Such a wonderful design. Your work here brings back fond memories...

Thanks Ken, I thought you might stumble upon this thread at one time or another. Your modeling has given me a lot of inspiration, so as it goes, we all learn from each other. I don't think I would have done an inspection pit if it weren't for yours. I might be copying a few other details too . I have to admit, I don't ever miss working on any model, but more of a "glad it's done" emotion. It's great while I'm doing it, but really ready to get onto another.

Dave, I hope you do, and post it so we can all see. Now it's out, you know you'll have to do one

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

KKarns
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  3:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tony and sharing ideas and techniques is what it's all about. Very true, finishing up a build does come with mixed emotions and I find the current SWSM kit project I'm working on is always my favorite! Keep up the fine work...Ken

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  5:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, You are in good company with Dr. Grunge (Ken). But please try not to duplicate his grunginess. He is the only one capable. Ken is a great modeler and a great guy. Is is in Altoona now.
ed

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  6:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed k

Tony, You are in good company with Dr. Grunge (Ken). But please try not to duplicate his grunginess. He is the only one capable. Ken is a great modeler and a great guy. Is is in Altoona now.
ed

Oh, no worries, Ed, I can't keep up with the guy. I think he has some secret dust or something he just sprinkles on everything.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 11/01/2017 6:19:51 PM

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  6:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, Try Rembrandt raw umber chalk.
ed

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  6:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, Incomplete info. 408.2 is the order number.
ed

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  4:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

ed

Hey, Ed, all the numbers I stated are what I used. I mentioned brown on a previous page for 408.5, but, yes, it is a raw umber, my mistake as I just called it brown. But I don't think I have ever seen Rembrandt make a chalk, I always use soft pastels. Not sure what you mean by out of date, as the numbers are still good. I buy my artists materials from Jerry's, and the numbers are still the same.

Am I missing something?

Here's Jerry's link:

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/rembrandt-soft-pastels

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  4:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

ed

The 408.2 numbers, and others, are what is printed on the paper wrapper on each pastel. The lower the last number (.2 on this one), the darker the color. So 408.2 is almost a blackish color, but still a Raw Umber. The 408.9 is almost a light tan.

Tony Burgess

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  7:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, we are speaking the same language. Different wordage. The full name is pastel chalk sticks. I am used to Brett (SWMW) calling them chalks. The differences in color of the raw umber is as you said, light tan to near black. I used a cabbage shredder to make the powder and put then in little bead containers. Each container has 7 small storage units. Nice way to keep them. One stick makes quite a bit of powder. I can be more specific as to who makes the containers, if anyone has interest.
ed

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  9:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed,
I have been observing on occasions and would like to see what you do with your chalks.... I will be on the edge of my seat waiting in anticipation
Rich

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  11:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich, Do you have any Sierra West kits?
If you do, please do me a big favor. Check and see if he mentions "chalks" in his Construction Manual. It is mentioned in all my kits. Someone told me he never uses that word. Please help clarify.
Thank you. I am appreciative.
ed

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  12:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed Brett may say chalk sticks.

But if you go to Dick Blick there called Rembrandt Soft Pastels.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  01:40:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry, I was only indicated why I called them chalks. On Brett's site, also it is written MANY Manny times in his construction manual's for each kit, on his threads and in his video, he calls them chalks.
Members of his forum call them chalks.
Does that mean it is the correct name for the product. Probably no. Maybe it's used to differentiate the Rembrandt name from the Pan Pastel's mentioned by Roger (Stoney Creek).
Chuck Doan and many others call them powders.
They are all the same thing.
I know what Blick calls them. I have 43 different colors. I apologize for all the confusion I caused. I will make every attempt to avoid that in the future.
ed

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: Take one down, donít pass it around Challenge Topic Next Topic: D&RGW HOn3 boxcar #3187  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000