Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Take one down, donít pass it around Challenge Topic Next Topic: D&RGW HOn3 boxcar #3187
Page: of 13

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  5:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed k

Tony, The weathering and color is excellent. Green is great choice. The effort is well worth it.
ed

Thanks Ed, appreciate that.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  09:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even MORE windows.

These windows being a thinner frame, and yes, probably better suited for a masonry building, but I like them, requires a little smaller piece of wood framing so it doesn't look, well, wrong. So instead of 2 x 2 stripwood to hold the window in the opening, I used 1 x 2.

I have left notes on each picture, so it should be self explanatory, however, just to do a pre-re-cap (is that a thing?):

First, with windows this thin and fragile, make sure the windows go in smoothly, they will bend to an unsightly look if they hang up.

I added 1 x 2 window trim to the inside of the frame along the back or inside wall, of the window opening. I did this by laying it flush to the cutting mat with wax paper between, and just snugging it on to the wall, flush with the inside.

Then I added the windows, previously ensuring the fit was not too tight that the window would bow out. Then I added additional 1 x 2 strips to the outer side of the window, then the trim, which was flush to the inner face of the 1 x 2's.

One thing I discovered after doing a few windows, was to lay a scale along the bottom of some completed end windows, clamping it down, and using an uncut piece of trim stock as a guide to adding the side trim pieces, so all the bottom pieces of trim would be level, and the top piece should just fall right in too.

I imagine this technique can also be done prior to the addition of the lower trim piece, by aligning the scale to the inside face of the lower 1 x 2 trim beforehand, then add the side trim. I still have 4 windows to add on one small wall, so will probably try that.

I also found this wall went a little quicker as I added all the 1 x 2 trim to each window, then all the windows, etc., so I completed it in what felt like a shorter time.

Tony Burgess

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  10:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

This project is excellent! I'm learning some great techniques of yours while I continue to drag my feet on the roundhouse I'm working on. I'm enjoying your build on this one. The window treatment is awesome. Thanks for sharing it all.

Jim

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  11:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Tony,

This project is excellent! I'm learning some great techniques of yours while I continue to drag my feet on the roundhouse I'm working on. I'm enjoying your build on this one. The window treatment is awesome. Thanks for sharing it all.

Jim

Your very welcome, Jim. Glad your enjoying it.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  12:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Some great tips to remember. The results are really good looking windows.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  1:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Again another "Atta-Boy" from me! Nice windows.
I like the coloring of your long walls and the way you made them look rotted at the bottoms. Looking forward to your progress.

Rich

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  1:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, I am loving your build! I was debating getting those same windows and now that I've seen them being used, it certainly helps in the decision process. Thanks,
Dave

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  1:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, Rich and Dave. Thank you all.

Tony Burgess

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  3:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work Tony. You are very kind to share.
ed

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  4:54:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed k

Excellent work Tony. You are very kind to share.
ed

Thanks Ed, actually I share on my Facebook page as well as another; Modelers Guild. It can get a little much, but I post here first, then just copy the wording and paste it on the Facebook page. Adding photos is easier, I just click all I need from my folder and voilŗ...it's done.

Tony Burgess

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  5:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know this color really grows on you after awhile.

Great job on the windows.

Always looking forward to your posts.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2017 :  05:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

You know this color really grows on you after awhile.

Great job on the windows.

Always looking forward to your posts.

I'm inclined to agree with you, Jerry.

I have, at this time, all the windows done except the 2 small ones for the office area. So I am starting on the floor next.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2017 :  2:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just one picture for a quick update. The floor "planking" is finished. I have the inspection pit to do next. Never done one before, shouldn't be hard, so looking forward to it.

Tony Burgess

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/21/2017 :  5:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
Everything is looking fantastic! You have "planking" in quotations...why is that? Is it a casting? Will you be gluing the rails into those grooves? Am I getting ahead of you? :-)
Waiting with bated breath...
Cheers,
Dave

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2017 :  6:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

Tony,
Everything is looking fantastic! You have "planking" in quotations...why is that? Is it a casting? Will you be gluing the rails into those grooves? Am I getting ahead of you? :-)
Waiting with bated breath...
Cheers,
Dave

Dave, I think I "quoted" the word planking, because I wasn't sure if that was the right word, as it, to me, refers more to the planking on a ship. Floor boards might have been better. I wasn't thinking at that time on the model terminology, as I was getting ready to go in the garage and do some more work on a small shelf/cupboard for my niece. She has one of these automated cat litter boxes, looks a little like Star Wars R2-D2. All I need to do now, to that, is assemble and give it a finish, Tung oil, I imagine. It will go over R2-D2 to act as a shelf. The company sells one, but it's like 400 bucks. I spent less than $60 on materials.

And , no, it is certainly not a casting. Heaven forbid. There are no grooves, but the smaller boards , about .63" long, are against two 1/16" square strips which the rails WILL sit upon. Although, in the photo, they do look like grooves, I have to admit. The next set of pictures might show that better.

Tony Burgess

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: Take one down, donít pass it around Challenge Topic Next Topic: D&RGW HOn3 boxcar #3187  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.02 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000