Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: My first attempt at Digital Bricks Topic Next Topic: banta modelworks hillside water tower kitbash
Page: of 31

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  6:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

It's hard to resist propping walls up so we can visualize what the completed model will look like. It looks great from my perspective. Perhaps a little unstable at this point.

Mike

Oh my goodness, I'm already laughing a lot from watching some pet videos on Facebook , you just added to that, 'a little unstable'...oh my God.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  6:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Looks great so far Tony. Looking forward to the siding.

Me too, Jerry. I seem to be stuck on the computer WWWAAAAAYY too much.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2017 :  11:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the stripwood stained and colored. I did a similar approach to what Brett Gallant on his engine shed did. Fairly easy, just a little time consuming, as it takes several steps.

First you use A/I to stain the wood and let dry.

Next you color each side a different color using Rembrandt soft pastels, grey 704.5 for the outside, and 408.5 brown for the inside. I use alcohol as a medium to apply the powdered pastel (using a razor blade to scrape the pastels into a powder). The alcohol is lightly picked up with a brush, dabbed off a little, you don't want much, then dabbed into the chalk and painted on the windows. You'll get the idea on how much to use when you try it out.

The inside won't get any more treatment, unless you want to add more to it, but the outside now gets painted.
This step involves a resist between the wood and paint. As Brett says in his manual, take 4-5 strips at a time, brush on some mineral spirits, I used odorless, let dry for a little bit, but not too dry, it should be a little wet, then paint over that.

Tear off some scotch tape, about 4", and apply it to left (or right) half the stripwood, press down hard, and peel off. It may take several attempts. Then do the other side.

The windows I am using on this project are some I bought a while back specifically for this model. Yep, I planned it several years in advance. They are Rusty Stumps D4033 (1 sheet), D4015 (2 sheets), and one of D4010.

You need 2 laser cut windows for each window on the model. They are applied back to back with some clear styrene in the middle. The clear stuff is sprayed both sides with dull-cote.
Here it is hanging up to dry after spraying outside:

To color the windows, I keep them on the sheet. Using a very small amount of alcohol, I scrape some pastels mentioned above, onto a piece of the plastic the windows were packaged in with a razor blade. With a tad bit of alcohol, I dip it well into the powder and quickly paint the windows, brown inside, grey outside. With the larger windows, the factory windows, I also added some light rust from Vallejo. These windows are generally metal, not wood.

When they dry, I'll assemble them.

Here is where I keep my most-used pastels, I often just dip a wet brush right into the bin for the color I need. Handy, for sure, and has saved me countless hours in searching and storing.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  7:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Starting to get to the finishing stages of the exterior walls. Siding almost done, and windows going in.

I wanted to share the technique I used on the Rusty Stumps windows.

The windows started out as a double window (2 windows each from Rusty's Sheet, glued back to back), with .005" clear styrene (with a dullcote spray on both sides) between each set of windows. They were painted brown inside and green outside to match the siding color, and had some green stripped off to represent weathered paint.

The windows were then sliced in the center wide strip as shown, so I can have the lower section open. The lower sash was also trimmed about .020" on each side to allow for the trim later.

To re-attach the lower window, I made a simple jig to hold the lower section open wile the glue dried. This also kept them pretty consistently open.
A small weight was lain across the top part to keep it down, as the wax paper had a slight bow in it.

A 2 x 2 strip was glued in on the back side of the window frame to lay the window on. This also allowed a finished look from the inside.

At this point, I can place the window in the frame.

The following step is to apply some window framing. Simply some 2 x 4 stripwood, stained with A/I and weathered only with chalk pastels, as you can see, I used a 'Rembrandt' Burnt Umber color.

After the framing is glued in place, with the side pieces overlapping by 1/2 the width of the 2 x 4 strips, I cut some 2 x 2 strips to look like the window is held open.

Some finished windows (no strips holding it here, added after the photo was taken.

Tony Burgess

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  8:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
The walls and windows are colored and stressed perfectly. Well worth the effort you expended to create this exceptional wall section.
Thank you for sharing your approach.
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  8:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I think seeing green paint on a building like this is unusual. A refreshing change. I like it.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  04:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, thank you. The siding is actually the most time consuming part. And I have 6 walls in all!.

Thank you Mike, yes, I wanted something that was different, but not out of the norm. I have seen a few green painted sheds, and thought it blended well, but other colors? Not so much. Here are a couple I saw (which is the same building, different time periods):

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 10/08/2017 04:52:48 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  08:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony nice job on the peeling paint. Great idea for the windows.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  10:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
Thanks for your great tutorial on coloring your wood.
When you were ready to brush on mineral spirits and paint, before using tape, what type of paint did you use? Was it acrylic or enamel based?
Rich

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  10:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jerry.

Thanks Rich, the paint is an acrylic. I pretty much only use acrylics.

Tony Burgess

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  11:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everything looks good Tony.

And I whole-heartedly agree with your choice of paint....only the little 2 oz. acrylic bottles for me!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  12:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good info on the windows, Tony. Thanks for posting the details.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  3:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

You can't beat authenticity. That's a great example. Thank you for sharing.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  4:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, George and Mike, thank you all. Appreciate all of you for leaving comments.

Tony Burgess

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  4:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, The weathering and color is excellent. Green is great choice. The effort is well worth it.
ed

Page: of 31 Previous Topic: My first attempt at Digital Bricks Topic Next Topic: banta modelworks hillside water tower kitbash  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000