Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 46 ]  [ Total: 47 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast Topic Next Topic: Brets Brewery
Page: of 24

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  9:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich, I can't believe she locks you out of her craft room, unless..???...you have one too???

Carl,
Your very welcome.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  12:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This set of doors isn't something to rush, so I took all the time needed to get it right. I'm happy with it, although I have to add some stops at the ends.

I used Vector Cut nuts on the pulleys, and Ticky's square NBW's for the straps. The two signs I salvaged from a model by Sierra West.

With the NBW's, I drilled the .031" hole through so I can glue it from the back side, saving the possibility of messing up the front.

I also put a 1/8" piece of pine wood behind the doors while drilling so the doors or straps wouldn't pull away, a support.

Tony Burgess

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  12:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

That's fabulous Tony. Enjoying the build...

Bob

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  1:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, your rust color is very realistic.

George

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  3:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob and George, thank you very much.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  5:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

You are a real rust-meister.

We owned a primitive antique table about the color of green you used; sold it a couple of months ago.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  7:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

You are a real rust-meister.

We owned a primitive antique table about the color of green you used; sold it a couple of months ago.

Mike

Thanks Mike, and if I had known, I would have asked for some color samples

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  3:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trying something new here. I am making working hinges, two sets, one in brass, the other in styrene. See which one holds up better. I don't want to use solder on the brass due to the small size, but I might try it out just the same later. For now, I'll use ACC.

The brass I am using is brass tubing, .012" inside diameter (will accept .012" brass rod) with about .032" o/d. The styrene I am drilling out a .015" hole in some .035" o/d styrene (packet says .030, but they vary, and .035 is what I pulled out).

If I remember right, I bought the tubing at Scale Hobbyist:

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/browse.php?kw=brass,pipe

So, while drilling the styrene, my drill bent. Never happened before. I was just doing light pressure in a handheld pin vice into the ends of the styrene. I looked at it closely and found the flutes were much wider on this one than the same size bit I have in another set. Who'd have thought.

Anyway, back to the hinges, I think you can follow along with the pictures now.

First the tubing:

What I used to cut them:

After cutting to length, @.06" long, I kept them on a rod for safe keeping:

Glued one on:

and a "dry" fit, just one so far.

Tony Burgess

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  3:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working hinges! Where will it end?

I've broken my share of bits, but never bent one. You have a special talent, Tony.

George

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  3:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Working hinges! Where will it end?

I've broken my share of bits, but never bent one. You have a special talent, Tony.

George

LMAO. That's funny.

Wait until I put up a tutorial on doing the filaments for the light bulbs! Oh, wait, their LED's, never mind.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  9:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Thatís a strange phenomenon, bending rather than breaking small drill bits. Perhaps youíre becoming unhinged.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  9:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice. Did I miss the size of the flat bar stock?

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  10:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice hinges! You won't find me making any, but yours look great. I like your door sliders too in one of the upper pictures. Nice work.
Rich

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  10:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As usual Tony, this build is showing incredible, excellent modeling and craftsmanship'..Beautiful in every aspect!!

Ted

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  09:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, I have no doubt that I may have passed that threshold a long time ago

Carl, thank you, and I am sorry to say I forgot to mention that, but the stock is .005" brass sheet (4 x 10") from K&S Engineering. I put the stock in my NWSL chopper with a .06" spacing, measured the distance off using a drill bit, and made 10 or 20 or 40 some slices with a new razor blade, and smoothed the edges after with some sandpaper. I had bought many sheets at one time, up to .015", for anything from 40 cents to a buck fifty each. Finally have a chance to use some of it. Thank you for asking.

Rich, Thank you, the door sliders are sliding door hangers. If you look up on Google just door hangers, you'll get all those little pieces of card they give you at hotels to hang on the outside of the door for service or not.

Ted, what can I say? Thank you.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 12/01/2017 09:09:55 AM

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast Topic Next Topic: Brets Brewery  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000