Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Brets Brewery
Page: of 24

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2017 :  2:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I may be the person who asked to see the Shapeways lampshades. Thanks for the super close-up-...based on your drilling experience...it's too bad, I may just have to skip those. Thank you!

And I like the toned-down door much better.

Edited by - Carl B on 11/24/2017 2:34:13 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2017 :  4:47:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The door. So much better now it goes with the rest of the building nice job Tony.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2017 :  5:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl,
Thanks Carl, and yes, I posted that for that reason. I too was disappointed that I couldn't drill through. At least I can use them for show on other buildings.

Thanks Jerry, I thought so too.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2017 :  7:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, Beautiful weathering in one of my favorite colors. Exceptional job.
ed

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  10:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed k

Tony, Beautiful weathering in one of my favorite colors. Exceptional job.
ed

Thanks Ed, appreciate that.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  10:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have build the side doors as a separate assembly, still need to add the NBW's though. This was a lot easier than doing the doors and hangers on the walls themselves. Makes for a neater look, at least from my experience.

Thought I would also break off from the norm here and show my bus collection. All are from Britain, and my latest are special to me as I used to live there. One is a bus from Brighton, the other from Maidstone, Kent. My Mother was born there, and I often stayed at my Aunt's pub called the Walnut Tree. The pub is still there, but it has changed a lot, mainly the landscape. The large walnut tree out front, for what the pub was named after, is gone. I will always remember that. And I still remember the smell of the beer down in the cellar. I also remember the overhead trolley busses on some routes. The main reason I fell in love with the one on the right in the last picture. Some memories will never leave, even those that are around 50 plus years old.

Tony Burgess

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  10:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Those doors are outstanding! Sometimes the 'closeups' are just too darn close. Kinda like those local newscasters when HD television came out! It's a great model.

Jim

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  10:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I like the looks of the new doors. Superb. And the toned-down version of the people-door is an improvement as well. Looks less like the management was too cheap to buy a new door. They found it on a curb after it had been sitting outside for a year.

I really like seeing the row of open windows.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 11/25/2017 11:23:59 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  11:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice collection.

I lived in Bristol for a couple of years in the 70s and have memories of time with friends and pubs. And my free time was spent building airplane models. Id buy a cheap day return ticket on the train to Bath and go to a hobby store there on a Saturday.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  12:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loving those doors!
Cheers,
Dave

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  1:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking doors, Tony.

George

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  1:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice rust effect on those doors bottom plates Tony.

How'd you accomplish that?

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  4:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,
Thank you, yes, I agree, sometimes close is too close.

Thanks Mike, I like your thinking, lets say it is a cheap find for a replacement after the other got worn out Most of my time in England was from 1955-61, then another year in '63, then for 6 years from '74. We moved from there to here (various states) to and fro several times, taking the Queen Mary, the SS United States, and then the Queen Elizabeth each time, then it was 747's 3 times after that. So I imagine you had some memories of the busses too.

Thank you Dave, and George.

Carl, Hope I can member...so here goes, I took some construction paper, black, by "Peacock" called 'Sulphite Construction paper'. I used to get it at a store my wife worked at which sold school supplies, but I think it is also available at Walmsrt, and is available on Amazon too.
https://www.amazon.com/Pacon-Sulphite-Construction-76-Pounds-PACP6309/dp/B001B0B106/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1511645157&sr=8-1&keywords=Peacock+Sulphite+Construction+Paper+black

It has a great texture I love, and if wetted, tears like torn roofing paper.

Anyway, I dip a paint brush into a jar of water just to get the bristles wet, then dip it into some weathering powders of rust, I use Dr. Ben's powders. I keep them all in a container parts bin that I can use any and all colors without opening any jars. Looks like this:

Then I just dab rust colors at random. Sometimes adding a little black or grey. Cut it out and glue in place. I have also takien a sharp instrument, like a scribe, and poked holes into it for a little more 'damage', the opportunities are limitless.

Hope that helps.

Tony Burgess

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  5:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just lookin better with every post Tony, and those doors you make are awesome!
Thanks for the explanation on the cardstock paper. There is an endless supply of that in my wife's craft room. Now if I could just locate the key.

Rich

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  5:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info so promptly Tony.

Page: of 24 Topic Next Topic: Brets Brewery  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000