Railroad Line Forums - Challenge: Build This Shed
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Challenge: Build This Shed
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Cedarhill Designs Kits Topic Next Topic: So I wanted to make white decals...
Page: of 5

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  10:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that it is 10' wide but 20' long. The vertical lines are not nails but board ends. If you magnify the pic you can see that the peeling paint always stop at the lines. The small pallet is 3' wide and is half of the boards behind. I call the left side boards at 8' and the two sections to the right at 6'. The bottom right board is beginning to rot and is real short probably the stud spacing.

Just my humble opinion

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  11:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Closer inspection leads me to agree with Phil, the straight lines I originally did see as board ends, the nail holes are more subtle.
Based on the smaller pallet as 3x4 and not the larger, I agree. 10x20.

Maybe next time you go for lunch you could take a measure as well as the camera....

Karl.A

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  02:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have a go at this whilst I'm off later in the week. I've just cut a load of N scale stripwood, so it might give me something to make out of it. :)

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  05:16:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the board cut lines being in the sameplace on the boards looks unusual to me. Normally the builders would stagger the joint, but hten I looked closer and I think there might have been a wider freight door in the middle of the long side and a smaller door or window to the right of it.

For such a small building is has a lot of character to it!

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  08:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree the straight siding cuts would suggest, to me, that there was an opening of some kind in the center of the long wall at some time in the past.

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  09:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It appears that there was a large central opening and a man door to the right. What's on the side and end we can't see? I wonder.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  10:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, would be nice to see the other walls. I also noticed that there seems to be no chimney. So, unless heated by an electric heater only used in warm weather?
I also am puzzled by siding board joints. They do suggest other openings.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  4:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

It has the look that at one time, years back it may have been a custard or ice stand, or even a hot dog stand. If it was just a shed, why such an elaborate sized deck I wonder'...

Well... Ted, here is your tall shed stand of some sorts.
Now having aquired a laser cutter, I can rapid prototype little structures like this in no time at all.
I designed it 10'x 20' feet with the flip open canopy.
Designed, cut out, assembled, and painted in 4 hours!
I still need some fascia boards and roofing, but this gives you another version of this unique looking shed.

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 08/15/2017 6:15:29 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  6:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks a great concept Greg,
but dang-nabbit, it looks so great because that was gonna be my next version exactly, you obvly saw the same straight board ends and plausible configuration as I did the second time around.

Now get that sucker weathered, roofed, signed, and knowing you, lit.

Karl.A

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  6:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Karl.
They say great minds think alike!
My laser cutter just gives me the cutting edge to get mine out first.

Greg

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  6:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I had other things to do.

In four hours, mine would have been weathered,finished, diorama'd and detailed, but hey, the suns still shinin' and it aint time to go into the office yet, so you got there first.

Having a laser gives you a cutting machine, not the cutting edge.. :)

Still, I do think it's great that we had the exact same vision from the second set of pics.

I'm looking forward to see your next steps with it, now that you have the basics done.

Karl.A

shortliner
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/16/2017 :  09:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The more I look at this, the more I think it needs a set of steps - to form one of those two-storey out-houses

Edited by - shortliner on 08/16/2017 10:16:41 AM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2017 :  8:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished off my version of this tall shed.
I added the fascia boards, and the roofing.
And finally weathered it all.
I also liked those half round gutters, and those down spouts on the original shed, so I added my own.
Not certain how my version of this shed will be used in the future, so I haven't added any signs on it.
And I won't build it into a diorama with any scenery around it.

Thanks Railrunner130 for posting this unique tall shed, and turning into a challenge.
It was a lot of fun!
Looking forward to seeing what others might do with this shed.

Greg Shinnie

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2017 :  10:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks nice Greg, but,
you're only gonna give us one 'teaser' picture of the front ?
Gutters look great !

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/17/2017 :  06:58:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,
Nice work. The gutters are definitely part of the character to the original building.

I hope to continue issuing challenges like this one if people are willing to participate. I've got a few ideas for future challenges.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Cedarhill Designs Kits Topic Next Topic: So I wanted to make white decals...  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000