Railroad Line Forums - Challenge: Build This Shed
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: Gary Hannibal ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Challenge: Build This Shed
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Cedarhill Designs Kits Topic Next Topic: So I wanted to make white decals...
Page: of 5

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  6:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the internet gods worked in my favor, you should see a nice little building.

I often see this little building next to a restaurant my family and I frequent. It caught my eye. I was looking for a project that could be finished very quickly. Sometimes you just need that instant satisfaction of completion. First thing Saturday morning, I decided to draw it out and see what happened.

This was the result. I spent approximately one day working on this, using materials I had on hand. As I built, I realized that this could go in so many directions.

My challenge to you is to make your own version of the building. I put everything into scale feet, so no matter what size, it should work out for you. Make it yours. Make it cool. Make it quickly. Use what you have on hand, unless your going to your LHS, in which case please support them. Post your pictures here when done! Have fun!

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  7:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is a very unusually-proportioned building. What is its purpose? Any photos of the prototype?

I'm considering doing the challenge. Looks like fun!

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

rda
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  8:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to participate, but I'm with Mike on this one: What is the purpose of a two story one room shack. Any authorial objection to a "two room one story shack?

RDA

Ray46
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  9:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously it's a Home Depot storage shed with a model railroad upstairs.

Ray

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  9:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know much about the real building. It may be a bit deeper than the 10 feet I put on the drawing. I don't have any photos of the building, but guessed the dimensions. Next time I head up there, I'll be sure to grab some photos. I did take a quick look and noted that the cedar shingles have seen better days and that neither side has any openings or windows. The real building also has a taller window (higher up) and the door has no window. I felt this change would make it look more quaint.

It's actually on the property of our favorite restaurant. There is a small hotel and the old restaurant which has seen better days and is no longer used, except for the kitchen facilities and offices. The current restaurant is in what was a diner and scoop shop before it was totally refurbished and became the main focus of the business. Then, there is this building which is in the middle of the property. I assume it's used for storage as I've never seen anyone in it. BTW- It's more of a cream color than the tan I used.

Either way, like I said, make it yours. I was in coastal Maine last month and was really tempted to cover it in shingles and a whale weather vane. Give it a craftsman look. Or gingerbread. Or plank it. Or replace the upper window with a door and hoist. Make it Lowley Worm's Bait Shop. Or something completely different!

You'll notice on the drawing that there is an 8 foot wide version and the 9 foot wide version. I used the 8 foot version because I specifically remember the door being wider than the width on either side. Also, I'd recommend moving the window higher and don't cut the door to seven feet up.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  10:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Railrunner130

My challenge to you is to make your own version of the building....
Make it yours. Make it cool. Make it quickly. Use what you have on hand..

Well, I do like a challenge.

As per instruction, I made it my own version, made it quickly (1.5hr) and used only what I had on hand.

As mentioned a few times previously the proportions seemed a little strange, however, I stuck with them, kinda.

So, I built it to the HO dimensions you gave for the challenge, and then stuck an O scale door on it and viola... my version.

I hope to see more versions...!

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/13/2017 10:48:05 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  11:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The game is afoot . . .

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  09:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using the name on the drawings of Nottingham Inn, I did a google search and found a restaurant by that name in PA. 190 Baltimore Pike, Nottngham, PA.

Looking at the street view and satellite views I do indeed see a shed behind the fence between that business and one next to it that indeed matches the proportions at least of the drawings. It appears from the straight aerial view that there is a blue 'something' like a dumpster next to it. I couldn't manipulate the street view well enough to get a good look at the building. It appears to have a very old cedar shake looking roof.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7491824,-76.0184942,3a,60y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQspU6VvIMETL4NDhSQ4J2A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

See what YOU can see. It surely is rather tall for the normal shed. As described in the first post. Using a few simple photo interpretation methods you can see the height relative to known items leads you to see it's fairly tall. Length of the shadow related to other shadows, vehicle in lot for instance, can show it's rather tall. One street level view I found "walking" a few feet down the road you can see a woman walking to a grey SUV and compare her height, 5-2 to 5-8, to the building in the background and you get an idea of the height of the shed. An 8' fence is another common dimension to use.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7492912,-76.0184453,3a,60y,351.33h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqBH_FgBJaE9JXmM5pHZjJg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In the lead photograph above I believe the impression of dimensions of the model would be improved with the removal of the railcar in the background and possibly a LPP, Little Plastic Person, by the door.

It looks like a fun little challenge. If that's not the correct business I found, well, never mind....

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

Edited by - k9wrangler on 08/14/2017 09:59:13 AM

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  09:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here I "walked" around the corner and looking past the drive thru of the credit union you can see the shed sticking up next to a big and small pine trees behind the white fence. Directly above a dark red mini van. Compare the height of the shed to the car parked by the fence.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7488819,-76.0193146,3a,75y,8.84h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUGZdKkBn7U3zesyEy3mCxg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner

Edited by - k9wrangler on 08/14/2017 10:00:31 AM

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  11:09:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl (UKGuy) Nicely done! I figured someone would make an outhouse out of it!

Karl (k9wrangler), you're dead on! Good detective work. I never paid much attention to the garage next to it... Perhaps fodder for another day. It looks to me to be about 18 feet long.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  6:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
interesting project. weird little building though. might have to set o'neills aside (again) and give this a shot.

if you don't know where you're going any road will get you there.

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  8:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. Long story short, guess where happened to be for dinner?

The shed has a deck built around it, but unless you're doing a dock scene, I don't think that matters. Based on this photo, I think the building would be about 12 feet deep.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  8:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd guess the shed is 10x14, based on a 3'door and 2' stud spacing on the side, also based that's a 3'x4' pallet.
it 'may' have a small loft area, most likely at the back, if there even is one, the window is most likely for light, not a second level, I'd guess the ridge cap at 16'.

My observations at a relatively quick look at the pics..... nice subtle peel on the board edges, and a great tip on how to do nail heads realistically..... subtle, SMALL, straight, and not everywhere.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/14/2017 9:07:50 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  9:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has the look that at one time, years back it may have been a custard or ice stand, or even a hot dog stand. If it was just a shed, why such an elaborate sized deck I wonder'...

Ted

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  9:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should have sent your drone up to peek in the window....:) Interesting I had seen the gutters and downspouts and the mercury light from Google.

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  10:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The deck is part of the old restaurant. I believe that in it's hayday, the main building was often used for upscale events such as weddings. The deck allowed for events to flow outside and cater to more people. I suspect that the subject of our challenge was used for housing patio furniture and tables. The current restaurant was more of a relaxed-atmosphere diner that served breakfast and lunch and it is referred to as "the creamery" because the street side did, and still does have a scoop shop in it.

That being said, if someone is looking to participate in the challenge and is looking for an idea of how to style it, a snack bar is a good idea!

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Cedarhill Designs Kits Topic Next Topic: So I wanted to make white decals...  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000