Railroad Line Forums - An Old Man Contemplates an Old Man's Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 244 ]  [ Total: 245 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 An Old Man Contemplates an Old Man's Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry Topic Next Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref.
Page: of 18

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2020 :  09:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Dan.

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2020 :  05:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

Feedback - good, bad or indifferent - is always greatly appreciated.

Dan

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/16/2020 :  10:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rebashing A Bash

During the heat wave, which appears to have broken, at least for now, I ruminated about the prototypicality of the operation of the dual gauge track using the mine loco and, as a result, some changes were made to the layout.

Battery powered mine locos need to be recharged. While doing that they generate sulfuric acid fumes and explosive hydrogen gas, so ventilation is important. What could be better than recharging them out of doors and what better place to do that on the layout than in the empty spot where the tread-power and the steam winch used to be, however, the pushed kiln cart gets in the way.

Therefore, the cart will be pulled out to the kilns by the mine loco, using simulated link and pin couplers, instead of being pushed. This means the loco needs to be unmodified and its front axle installed (no problem there) and to hide the old barney, the kiln cart needs to be modified to fit over it, as the loco once did (BIG problem there).

I just couldn't bring myself to modify that classic metal Central Valley truck under the cart (it is an old friend from the very early days of On30), so a modern, plastic passenger car truck was bashed instead. The wheelbase was just long enough for the axles to fit over the ends of the barney, but the wheels and flanges were interfering with accommodating its width.

As the cart is stationary, the bolster was removed from the truck and the remaining parts were glued together to make a rigid assembly. The flanges were then clipped and the tread faces filed on the inner parts of the wheels to make room for the barney. Flanges were left on the bottom of the wheels, so the cart fits properly on the track.

Since the truck under the cart cannot be seen from the normal operating position, a bit of fudging on prototypicality was allowed, for the greater good, of course. Except for the roller bearings and the exposed air brake cylinders, the bashed truck doesn't look all that bad and the hidden barney is completely invisible. It is a nice fit.

QCAW

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/20/2020 :  11:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More Vignettes!

With the successful use of various vignettes at the stub end of the kiln cart track, toward the back of the layout, why not do something really bold and use more of them at the front of the layout? The recently installed car repair track, a non-operating spur that abruptly ends towards the left hand side of the layout, is just the place for them.

Way back when Bachmann first started On30 train production, I bought a low side gondola car to see what it was all about. Although it was nice stuff, it was too big for any layout that I had in mind. Nevertheless, I held on to it over the years, hoping to find a use for it. Also competing for layout space is the little flagstop station that was bashed from an elevated crossing tower kit as well as the recently bashed car repair shed. On the current layout, there is not enough space to use all of therm at once and building a larger layout ain't gonna happen; nevertheless, they can all be accommodated by using vignettes.

IMHO, the early Bachmann gondola seems to look better without its sides, so they were removed. As a bunch of sectional, code 100 straight track was on hand, the rails were salvaged to use as a load for the resulting flat car. When placed at the very end of the spur, this formerly unusable car becomes the cornerstone for a vignette of something every railroad needs, an MOW facility.

When its place at the end of the spur is taken by the station, the vignette changes dramatically. As moving trains pass quite close, the station sits on top of the spur track rails and it is keyed to them using wood strips strategically glued underneath its platform, thereby forestalling initial misalignment or later dislodgement.

When the railbus and its trailer (another bash that is worthy of display) sitting next to the station on the spur, the scene becomes an end-of-the-line passenger depot. When the railbus and trailer are helicopter switched onto the mainline rails, passenger service can be run. When they are replaced by Bachmann passenger cars (the combine and coach already on hand) that are pulled by a locomotive, the versatile vignette then becomes a branch line flagstop with an adjacent team track.

Replacing the station with the car repair shed changes the look once again. As the end of the spur features a short section of four rail track, a place to build and/or repair those ash collection cars, the double ended shed is placed several inches from the end of the spur, with its open bottom straddling the track, thereby locking it into position. A spare four wheel dump car, appearing to await repairs, when placed outside the shed, adds to the vignette.

As a bonus, the shapes, heights and varying positions of the vignette features will alter the sight lines across the layout, thereby giving additional views. Although the current layout may be small, it will not be boring.

QCAW

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  6:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Railcar Bash For The MOW Vignette

When positioning the large Bachmann flat car with the rail load for the proposed MOW vignette, the glaring need for more stuff made itself evident; something that wasn't the typical kits for handcar/speeder motive power along with a push cart or two. What was needed is a non-operating industrial railcar bash, an early auto that was modified to run on railroad track.

After perusing the internet in search of prototype ideas, I used the side frames salvaged from under an old HO bobber caboose (I think it was made by AHM). They were originally going to be used under the kiln cart, but the wheelbase was too long. While, from time to time, it may be stymied, serendipity never sleeps and they turned out to be right for this bash. As the railcar will be moved to and from the layout when changing vignettes, the side frames and wheels were glued into a strong, monolithic underframe, to counteract my occasional Godzilla moments.

The body is also nearly indestructible. It is the remains of a Lesney "Models of Yesteryear" Y-14, a 1911 Maxwell Roadster (there are far too many Model T conversions). I bashed it years ago into a small pickup truck. A piece of thin styrene sheet was glued to the top of the underframe as a base to receive the somewhat modified one piece, diecast metal body, which is conveniently flat on the bottom. The Maxwell fuel tank was also modified and glued behind the body to cover up the gaping hole that used to be hidden by the old pickup truck body.

The photos show the railcar bash in its test fit stage, after the usual trial and error missteps. As a bonus, prototypically, it can be used top up or top down.

QCAW

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2020 :  06:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool.

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/28/2020 :  07:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick,

There is more to come...

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2020 :  08:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I enjoy watching your burgeoning collection of vignettes as it grows in number. They all have personalities, particularly your latest.

Mike

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/28/2020 :  5:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Tool Car Bash For The MOW Vignette

One of the packs of Woodland Scenics figures came with a pump type handcar for O-gauge track that left a lot to be desired. By removing the ugly pump handle gizmo, pulling off the wobbly wheels and sanding down the glued on plastic axles to make the underside flat, the deck for a possible tool car bash was the result. In theory, all it needed was HO gauge wheels to make it work in On30, but as things turned out, that would not be easy.

The cast plastic deck measures 1 5/8" long by 1" wide, but it is a rather chunky 3/16" thick and therein lies a problem. Because of its thickness, standard O-scale 16" diameter handcar wheels make the car ride abnormally high and lowering the deck by gouging out holes to clear the upper parts of the wheels was deemed to be impractical. However, as the deck is just wide enough to cover the side frames of many HO freight trucks, an outside bearing bash, making it similar to the rest of the layout's four-wheel fleet, was decided on.

An old Roundhose brand, Fox stamped steel truck that was on hand was recruited, mostly because, unlike an archbar truck, it was nearly flat across the side frame tops, but just about everything else was a problem. The traditional mounting method of using a screw or bolt through the truck bolster hole was also deemed to be impractical. In addition, the truck is made from Delrin plastic, which means that it cannot be glued, except by using some pretty exotic stuff. ACC and tacky glue are used for just about everything, so a way had to be found to employ the old reliable ones on this bash.

As the tool car will be stationary on the layout, two sets of plastic, wheel and axle assemblies, ones that can be glued, were substituted for the Fox truck originals and the flanges were clipped from corresponding sides of each wheelset. Mounted in the inverted truck side frames, with the flangeless sides pointing down, the assembly was carefully sanded until the tops of the journal box mounting slots were ready to be removed, which is a good place to stop.

The sanded off plastic wheels, mounted in the Delrin side frames, were carefully positioned on the bottom of the tool car deck and glued in place, simultaneously addressing the truck mounting, excessive height and adhesive problems. Serendipitously, the coupler mountings for the tool car and the railcar not only match each other, but they also match the Kadee HO height gauge (it certainly wasn't planned that way). Link and pin couplers (diecast metal ones by Model Engineering Works, more old friends from my very early days of working in On30) were fitted to both.

As the photo indicates, waving guy is of the opinion that, while each may be an oddity that was separately bashed, the tool car and railcar appear to make a functional pair (he also likes playing with the link and pin couplers). Together, they are four inches long and when combined with the MOW flatcar, they make a linear vignette that is about a foot in length, the same as for the station and repair shed ones. Except for adding extra details and a coat of paint, this should end assembling the MOW vignette.

QCAW

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2020 :  6:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice. Waving Guy wants to be careful playing with the link and pin couplers or he'll be waving with fewer fingers.

Mike

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/30/2020 :  07:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael

You don't have to worry about waving guy. He comes from a long line of railroad workers, so he knows his stuff.

Here is a photo of the current clan. His shy older brother is on the left and sitting in the railcar, turning it into a kiddie ride for an amusement park, is his cousin.

All the best to everyone.

Edited by - Dan on 08/30/2020 07:15:07 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2020 :  08:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/04/2020 :  08:12:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick,

Could employing the thumbs up icon be the answer to the problem of readers showing appreciation for a posting without having to put it into words, which for some, can be intimidating?

Personally, I like the idea, it is simple as well as universally understood, but how does one put the icon, by itself, into a reply? I ain't not figured that out yet.

All the best

Dan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/04/2020 :  09:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dan,

If you “Reply to Topic” to bring up a text box, there are smilies on the left. You’ll have to hit “Show entire smile list” to see them all. When you hit one it’s inserted on the text box for you.

That’s the way I know how.

You could also type in the character string that corresponds with that smilie. Try it and you’ll see what I mean.

Mike

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/04/2020 :  10:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By George, I think he's got it!

Thanks Mike.

Dan

Page: of 18 Previous Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry Topic Next Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000