Railroad Line Forums - Some New Construction on the F&SM RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Some New Construction on the F&SM RR
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWest Twin Mills With a Little Twist Topic Next Topic: DV Ross Chemicals - ITLA Kit
Page: of 2

halrey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  8:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stopped by the F&SM RR this morning to pickup a kit and took a few photos.

George has been busy adding some really neat small structures and details to the layout, here are a few shots.

Oh, the little tower over the tracks is based on a prototype that was between the Salem tunnel and the station on the North side back in the early 1900s... funny I started to make an O scale model of the tower back in 2007, I will dig out some old photos.

Hal

halrey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  8:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is also a very nice addition...

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  9:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice photos Hal.

I'll be there later in August. Neither tower was there last time I was there. The diner was there, the building changes over in Bedford Falls, the bridge over the tracks between Colberg Yard and the Allen Bridge had been added. Plus some details were added - like fencing in Manchester.

I almost forgot... all of the detail had been added to the South Manchester draw bridge.

--Rich

Edited by - RichBeau on 08/01/2017 9:13:30 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  10:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful modeling by George, and beautifully photographed by Hal!
Glad to see that George is enjoying his retirement!
Thanks for sharing those with us.

Greg Shinnie

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  10:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hal:

Thanks for posting the new signal towers & diner from the F&SM. Love the diner and especially like the tower the train passes under. The brick tower is pretty cool also. The brick paper is excellent.

Karl

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  8:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I model early rail... but I can't resist to troll and say that he won't be able to fit any double stacks through that structure

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  09:11:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm about to be sacrilegious here, and I will apologize in advance (and my comment will reinforce the fact that modeling, photography and the like are truly a matter of taste) but I don't care for George Sellios's work. It's just too busy for me.

engineerkyle.com

Edited by - engineerkyle on 08/03/2017 7:03:03 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  10:54:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hal,

Great photos; thanks for posting. I've never been able to detail scenes to that degree but I appreciate those who do. And they provide inspiration and ideas.

I hope you find the photos of the prototype for that little tower. Looks interesting.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

halrey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  11:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a few images of the prototype tower in Salem, I think the tower was removed because the locomotive got too large, and could no longer fit underneath.
It must have been a smokey job working the tower...

Hal

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  11:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hal,

Thanks! It's such an unlikely-looking structure it qualified for postcards.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

tloc
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  7:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures of a great modeler's endeavors. The detail that a scene is taken to are inspirational.

TomO

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  7:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by engineerkyle

I'm about to be sacrilegious here, and I will apologize in advance (and my comment will reinforce the fact that modeling, photography and the like are truly a matter of taste) but I don't care for George Sellios's work. It's just too busy for me.

engineerkyle.com

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  8:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kyle, Often less is more. But George sure is superb at his style. He does busy, damn good.
There is Miles, than there is Kenny G.
I dig Miles.
ed

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  9:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photos'. Must have been challenging climbing up and down those tiny steps along
side of the tracks. I wonder if those were for an emergency egress, and if there was a main entry set of stairs on the other side of the tower'..Georges's version is spot on'.
A great model of a great prototype'...

Ted

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  10:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hal, thanks for the great photos. They are 'eye candy' for builders of Craftsman structures.

I must confess to a weakness for switch towers. I have a few on the layout already (including the FSM Tower from 'way back') and I plan on adding a few more.

That Salem tower is quite unique and George's rendition is terrific.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  10:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I realized a longtime wish to visit the FS&M last month and was overwhelmed... so much to see that I couldn't even say whether these towers were in place yet, although I suspect not... wife, daughter and I agreed that a second visit would be real worthwhile to really be able to focus upon the 'details' ... just posted a nice write up on my blog, although my photos can't compare to Hal's!

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: SierraWest Twin Mills With a Little Twist Topic Next Topic: DV Ross Chemicals - ITLA Kit  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000