Railroad Line Forums - "Original" Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 "Original" Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout
Page: of 15

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  9:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There has been more work done on the mini railroad. The Bluffs on the Riverside of the model have been completed with bushes and vines. I will plant more bushes on the Woods side of the layout over the next several days and began to apply ground-up leaves and forest floor litter.

Thank you for looking. All comments and critiques welcome. Dr. Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2017 :  07:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/16/2017 :  6:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Error

Edited by - Grabnet on 09/16/2017 6:36:05 PM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/16/2017 :  6:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to use one set of accessory electrical wires buried at the beginning of construction.

I cut away the foam around the wires and put in an electrical connector block.

I built my first O scale structure, a shed from Banta Model Works (nice kit) and put a warm LED light in. I cut a groove to the structure in the sculptamold and wired the light.

Here it is lit up.

I will fill in the groove and “dirt in” the structure. The electrical connector hole in the ground will get a styrene cover and for awhile be removable for wiring the other structures to come in “rail camp” the backwoods headquarters and service facility for the Kittom Lumber Co.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Edited by - Grabnet on 09/16/2017 6:42:37 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2017 :  08:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/17/2017 :  2:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GOT ER' DONE.

That little shack is dirted in and ready for some use by the logging outfit.

It is definitely a temporary structure of wood, tar-paper and sitting in the dirt. Hopefully it will make it til the logs play out.

Thank you for looking. Doc Tom

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  01:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really like the textures of the scenes - the soil and bushes and general soil detritus. I think it's sometimes too easy to focus on just color but I think that having a variety of textures really helps the realism of the scene as well. Looking good. Watching progress.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  07:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom,

The shack fits right in: appropriately ad hoc and temporary looking. Do the chickens go in those compartments on the side?

Kumar makes a good point.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/23/2017 :  09:48:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

I really like the textures of the scenes - the soil and bushes and general soil detritus. I think it's sometimes too easy to focus on just color but I think that having a variety of textures really helps the realism of the scene as well. Looking good. Watching progress.

Thank you Kumard. The multiple layers can be done on these smaller layouts. Next to come is the "leaf layer". I have been grinding up leaves from last fall's yard cleanup in a thrift shop blender (wife said no way to her blender!!! ). Will be applying these with Scenic Express brown leaf material......a nice product. Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/23/2017 :  09:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tom,

The shack fits right in: appropriately ad hoc and temporary looking. Do the chickens go in those compartments on the side?

Kumar makes a good point.

Mike

Thanks Mike.No chickens at rail camp. They would get eaten by the local coyotes rampant in these Kentucky hills. I am going to put in a variety of hand tools needed to keep the little railroad functioning. Coyotes do not like to chew on metal things. Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/23/2017 :  8:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next layer of scenery is going on the mini layout. In keeping with the “backwoods” theme it was time to put in the forest floor. In this first picture on the left is the dirt and downfall and on the left this has been dusted with leaf cover. I used Scenic Express brown leaf material and ground up real leaves from last years Autumnal lawn. I highlighted it all with Scenic Express yellow ground foam.

The layers are fixed with 3M spray adhesive and dilute white glue.

Next to come will be the trees that dropped all these leaves.

Of course someone has to clean it all up and keep the leaves from covering the tracks.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2017 :  08:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  9:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The neighboring Amish brethren in this part of Kentucky are skilled craftsmen. They construct well made barns and sheds. Kittom Lumber Co asked a few of the Amish to frame up the engine house at rail camp. Once a few logs have been cut up into boards the remainder of the walls and roof will go up. Rail Camp is starting to look the part of a backwoods engine and rolling stock facility.

Here is a prototype inspiration shot in the early part of the 20th century.

The model is a Deerfield River Laser kit and is going together nicely.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  9:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Stanley can you hammer a nail?......Well son you just done become a carpenter. Put down your logging axe and saw and lets get this here Engine House built."

Doc Tom

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  12:17:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering if the best way to build structures is actually just like this example. I have a whole bunch of construction ahead of me and I'm trying to decide whether to use proper miniature wooden frames for the buildings.

Watching with interest.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Page: of 15 Topic Next Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000