Railroad Line Forums - "Original" Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 165 ]  [ Total: 168 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 "Original" Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Troy Tuit Works Topic Next Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout
Page: of 15

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  08:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is part II of this ongoing saga of a backwoods logging outfit set along the border of Kentucky and Tennessee in 1910.

Please do not go looking for part one as they were vaporized when Photo Bucket became ransomeware and hijacked all my pictures. I have seen the light and will now post directly to this site

I'm looking forward to continuing the dialogue in this most fascinating of hobbies.

Doc Tom:

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  09:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about the ransomeware. It got me too but I have an external hard drive and worked around it.

Frank

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/04/2017 :  07:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Sorry to hear about the ransomeware. It got me too but I have an external hard drive and worked around it.

Were you able to repost all your great pictures? I saved all my favorites but not all of the construction threads etc. My faves I will print on paper to enjoy in to old age. The ether of the Internet is rather fickle I have found out.

Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/04/2017 :  07:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As per your request I deleted the other thread Tom. Looking forward to this new one!

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/04/2017 :  1:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

As per your request I deleted the other thread Tom. Looking forward to this new one!

THANKS Mike. I like having a clean slate and a restart, almost like starting another layout.

Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/04/2017 :  5:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a mini layout constructed of Blue Styrofoam. To make it look larger I used a divider between two scenes of the Railroad. To connect the two scenes I have placed a window in the scenery divider in the center.

This "Window" was difficult to conceal in the scenery theme of a backwoods logging railroad. This backwoods outfit is so broke they could not afford any type of tunnel. To hide the window between the scenes I had to use foliage and make a tree tunnel. Here's what it looks like:

The scenes depict the road crew laying and spiking rail late into the evening.

The individual trees had to be carefully placed and "pruned" to avoid fouling the engines and rollingstock.

Thanks for looking. Doc Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/07/2017 :  9:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There has been a lot of wind and rain here in Tennessee. This has resulted in a very good harvest of twigs. I pick them up on my morning walks and by nighttime they are fleshing out the winter forest I am trying to model.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  06:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on hiding the "window" Tom.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  07:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Great job on hiding the "window" Tom.

Thank you Mike. A lot of trial and error planting all the irregularly shaped trees.

Tom

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  10:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom,

You did a great job disguising the window between scenes. I was wondering how you were going to do it. You truly have a branchline railroad.

The new thread is an excellent idea.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  4:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tom,

You did a great job disguising the window between scenes. I was wondering how you were going to do it. You truly have a branchline railroad.

The new thread is an excellent idea.

Mike

Thank you very much. Tom

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  10:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always liked this photo of a log landing in Oregon about 1925. This is a “colorized” version and for the life of me I have had a hard time locating the original B&W on the net. I have seen it before but cannot recall where.

Anyways ,thought I would give a shot at a rough approximation of the action portrayed in the prototype scene. I realize that I have a Stearns Heisler (Climax in the original)posing up front and my little logging people do not appear quite as tired as the workers in the colorized picture.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  09:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  6:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About one year ago I began this project in an attempt to model a primitive backwoods logging operation set in 1910.

In August 2016 I had gotten this far:

It looked like a blue foam aircraft carrier.

Many months later we are at this scene of the"Woods" Side of the mini layout.:

There is much more to do including many more tree armatures, deadfall, leaves and then finally winterization with a little bit of snow and ice.

This mini layout has kept me busy for a year and because of its small size allowed me to really detail the scenery. One of the BIG plusses of a mini layout.

Thank you for looking and following along.

Doc Tom

P.S. I removed the vinyl photo backdrop from this side of the mini as it buckled and took my best shot at a painted backdrop.

Edited by - Grabnet on 07/09/2017 6:57:46 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  7:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very good!

Here's the B&W of the colourize photo above:

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  8:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

Looks very good!

Here's the B&W of the colourize photo above:

Thank you so much for sending that B&W shot. I looked high and low for it and could not get my electronic fingers on it. I will be saving it as it was the inspiration of my log landing scene.

Doc Tom

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: Troy Tuit Works Topic Next Topic: Operation Dark Winter - HO scale micro layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000