Railroad Line Forums - Das Boot, a 1/35 scale WWII U-Boat diorama
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 Das Boot, a 1/35 scale WWII U-Boat diorama
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Interaction Hobbies Model Ts Topic Next Topic: Die cast excavator
Page: of 15

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  10:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very sharp work Frank. You're making great improvements to the tug and crane. You're making want a laser cutter. I wish some one offered a cutting service.
The crane kit seems to be a poorly thought out kit. At least they gave it a nice stone base and counterweight. Are you going to add any interior detailing to it?

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  1:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob. I originally cut all the boom parts from 1/16Ē plywood. Then I re-cut the lattice work in 1/32Ē and that looked better. Now that Iím looking at the two Iím thinking I should re-cut the other 1/16Ē stuff in 1/32Ē. So Iíll be scrapping the original boom work.

Iím also re-doing some of the tug work.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  6:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow- re-do's already? That boom is gonna be fragile. But you already know that.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  09:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It might be fragile Carl, but it won't have to do anything but sit there.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/09/2017 09:59:29 AM

drevelia
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  1:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit drevelia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made it back from vacation and here are a few photos of what I've been working on for the U-boat diorama.

This is the basic kit from a company now out of business. It's all resin and white metal

I didn't take pictures during the assembly but it was pretty basic stuff. I reinforced some of the joints with brass pins so it wouldn't fall apart when it's handled.

I added woodgrain with a razor saw and X-acto knife. After primer I painted the wood parts with a tan colored water based paint. After the tan was dry painted on burnt umber artist oil then immediately wiped it off with a clean cloth.
All this was done to make the color of the wood that will show in areas that will have worn,chipped or missing paint.

Maskol was added to areas that will have worn or missing paint then the railcar was painted boxcar red. After drying the Maskol was remove.

The kit really didn't supply couplers but I was able to locate the correct style and scale elsewhere. They were cast resin and pretty fragile so I laser cut some of the parts so I can position them correctly when cars are added to the diorama. (still need painting)

One last note. The the dry transfer decals supplied with the kit were so old that they pretty much just fell apart when I tired to apply them. Archer Fine Transfers makes a set that I still need to add.
Dave

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  3:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like!

Always enjoy seeing your work, Dave.

Pete
in Michigan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  3:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops! I made a mistake!
Dave, the low sided wagon looks great!
Thanks for sharing the pics!

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 07/14/2017 7:53:24 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  5:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
, that is a very cool looking flat car'. Beautiful realistic paint job.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  6:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
Das ist gut gemacht!
ed

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  7:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave always great to see your work. Great weathering.
Keep us posted as you guys keep this new adventure continues.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  11:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iím thinking Daveís tired of seeing me with my thumb drive. Yet another re-cut.

I decided to move the towing bit to the space between the stern and the access hatch rather than have the tow line go over the access hatch. I donít think they would have that in real life. So a new deck was needed and while I was at it I decided to re-cut the inside window frames from thinner material. I used 1/64Ē laser board. The new doors were cut from 1/32Ē plywood so they would be thinner also.

I soldered a mast from brass tube so I could run the wires for the tow lights inside the mast. I ordered a shipís wheel, post and engine telegraph from Blue Jacket. They were installed on the cabin deck.

The boom for the crane got a re-cut also. I made them from 1/32Ē plywood. It took 35 minutes for the laser to raster all the rivets alone. It looks so much better with the thinner material. I originally made it with the 1/16Ē because thatís what the thickness of the resin parts were. I like the lattice work much better than the solid version in the kit.

The X-bracing goes behind the frames and acts as a glue guide for the side pieces. I designed locating notches into the parts so it would be easier to align the frames and X-bracing.

First I painted the boom parts with silver spray paint. I weathered the inside of the boom parts before assembly. The weathering process took me several hours but it was necessary.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  12:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That rust job looks great! the thinner stock looks much better. I don't fully understand the lasering process. Are the rivets raised or cut into the material?
Cheers,
Dave

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  3:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work! Are you enjoying 1:35?

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  5:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

I don't fully understand the lasering process. Are the rivets raised or cut into the material?
Cheers,
Dave

Dave, the laser burns those rivets into the wood.

Frank, your ship parts & boom look wonderful!

Greg Shinnie

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  6:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Frank. Really some nice work there. Looking forward to the next steps.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: Interaction Hobbies Model Ts Topic Next Topic: Die cast excavator  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000