Railroad Line Forums - Das Boot, a 1/35 scale WWII U-Boat diorama
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 148 ]  [ Total: 149 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 Das Boot, a 1/35 scale WWII U-Boat diorama
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1929 Ford AA truck and belly tank Topic Next Topic: Sylvan HO scale 1937 Ambulance.
Page: of 24

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  3:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was on my annual "northern sojourn" when your cobblestone chaos happened ...Nice work.

I discovered those "stone rollers" during my Dickens Victorian build...but alas...turning a tight corner in my DAS modeling clay wasn't gonna work. For straight shots like yours... no problem.

Putting lights in the crane after the fact would have scared off most Frank- but you recovered well.
Congrats.

I plan far ahead these days for lighting- it's a motivation killer- but it's necessary.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  5:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thatís a pretty neat tool for making cobblestone streets. And I like your springy solution for illumination.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  7:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Letís face it Jerry thereís far too much modeling to get done before the snow falls. Get my drift?

Thanks Pete, a little scary when you bring out the big tools after the model is finished.

Carl, the rollers are pretty neat. I would think theyíd work better in clay. I thought ahead but I didnít plan ahead.

Mike, I tried brass strips but they were too stiff and not springy enough. Then I thought why not springs.

Frank

Tim Godfrey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  7:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tim Godfrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I consider myself extremely lucky to get to see these models progress at least a couple of times a week and some additional emails in between. Trust me, the pictures are in no way a substitute for seeing the real thing!! Helping out on these models from time to time is absolutely the best Modeling education one could ever get. Dave and Frank really are the best!!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  8:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Tim I'm bushing. And did I pay you enough to say that?

Frank

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  8:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, Neat solution to get power to the light. As to your reply just above:
Tim, I'm bushing
Just shrub it off and accept Tim's compliment :)

Edited by - Bill Gill on 10/02/2019 9:02:18 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  10:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill I should have used grammar check instead of spell check. I meant to say "I'm blushing".

I went to the center yesterday and gave the lighting principal a test. Works just fine. I'm using 16v lights with a 12v power pack.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/03/2019 10:59:16 AM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  12:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, your travelling crane looks wonderful!
Using the spring for electrical pick-up was ingenuity at it's best!

Greg Shinnie

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  4:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very creative and the results speak for themselves.
Bravo.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  6:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, tried strips but they were too stiff and the crane being so light wouldnít compress.

Thanks Rick, cute kid. Heís really into it.

Frank

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2019 :  6:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iím down to the finishing touches. The muffler and exhaust pipe were added along with the torpedo loading rig.

Loading a torpedo aboard the yet to be finished U-Boat. This may be a bit premature but Iím ready even if Dave isnít.

auf wiedersehen

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/05/2019 6:40:44 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2019 :  6:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! This will be fabulous when finished.

Thanks for sharing these!

Pete
in Michigan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2019 :  7:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent rusting on the muffler.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2019 :  7:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Frank, I see you bounced right out of that fix getting the lights on'... And Tim is correct'...It is a treat and an education in miniature engineering watching your builds'.. So, we all thank you for inviting us be a part of it'.. Your work is incredible!!!

Ted

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/05/2019 :  7:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dam the torpedoes!!

Beautiful rust Frank!!

I assume that's the deck of the sub??

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: 1929 Ford AA truck and belly tank Topic Next Topic: Sylvan HO scale 1937 Ambulance.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000