Railroad Line Forums - Das Boot, a 1/35 scale WWII U-Boat diorama
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 157 ]  [ Total: 158 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 Das Boot, a 1/35 scale WWII U-Boat diorama
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1929 Ford AA truck and belly tank Topic Next Topic: Sylvan HO scale 1937 Ambulance.
Page: of 24

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  10:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick, we have loads more since your last visit. Maybe you could get off the “E” train and take the Orange Blossom Special south and see us again.

Thanks Greg for looking in.

You’re quite right Mike; all that’s left are the structural walls from the cab, the roof and the inner and outer bail. (that's why I look for these drawings, otherwise - what's a bail)

Bill, that’s right where I was going.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/24/2019 10:07:00 AM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  2:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Frank, you are quite the show off'.... and deservedly so'.....I may not comment on every one of your posts. But every post gets studied, scrutinized, and often copied to file'.........

Ted

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  5:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The eyes are everywhere. Thanks Ted, glad you are enjoying the thread.

Frank

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2019 :  11:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
WOW! What a scratchbuild!!

David Guffey

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2019 :  7:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thanks Dave. I'd call it a kit-bash but it's way too far gone from that. Yup it's a scratch build.

Frank

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2019 :  10:40:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave brought his handy dandy Proxxon foam cutter to the Center today to cut foam for the “cobble stone” patterned roadwork.

He also bought the add-on piece that allows you to cut slabs to precise thicknesses.

We cut a piece of 2” insulation foam to the desired width. Then we cut it to the correct height, which in our case was 5/16”. It was all hands on deck to keep the set-up steady and not risk gaffs in the slicing. After all we’re slicing 6’ lengths and we want them uniform.

Here I am rolling out the cobblestone pattern into the foam strips. I used a 7' long board so I could keep constant pressure and do a continuous roll. Stopping during the roll sometimes produces dips or blemishes in the pattern.

Dave chose the classic fan pattern cobblestones. The roller is solid clear plastic with the pattern molded into it. You simply roll it over whatever material you’re using. They are mainly used by “gamers” to make structures and villages. Typically they use clay and the rollers come in a large variety of patterns including brick and random stone.

If you look closely you can see some irregularities in the pattern. Oh well!

Here are the strips of pavement laid out between the dock, crane rails and train rails for a test fit.

An inline shot, now to glue them down. And Dave has the envious task of making it look like cobblestone. All 6 feet by 10 inches. See ya’ next month Dave.

Here’s the others Dave bought, brick and stone. They come in 6” and 12” wide rollers.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/29/2019 10:47:24 AM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2019 :  10:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Annnnnnnnd.... There's a whole new technique and set of tools of which I have never heard. Cool stuff!!

Thanks for sharing this, Frank! Learn something every day!

Pete
in Michigan

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2019 :  11:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is really cool. Must be nice to own every new tool on the market.

Reminds me of "Yankee Workshop" seemed every week Norm was getting a new tool.

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2019 :  3:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Green Stuff World has some cool thingies, have a couple of them too. Nice progress love to see it in real sometimes next year..

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  10:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Good to know you’re still young enough to learning Pete, so am I, I think.

Jerry when you have 8 people all pulling in the same direction the options are HUGE.

Martin, terrific to hear you’ll be heading this way next year. The gang would all like to meet with you and show you around the Center. Every once in a while you stumble onto something used in another hobby and discover it works for you too.

Frank

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2019 :  3:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, can you call that method 'Rolling Stones'?

Interesting techniques and thanks for the update.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  10:05:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I suppose you want a reward for coming up with that one liner - here's a KISS

Frank

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  11:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lighting the crane proved to be more of a challenge than I thought. I always assumed I’d light it but always thought I’d get to that later. Well it bit me in the ace. It wasn’t easy running the wires to an already built crane.

I sat there for hours and hours before I came up with this idea. I discovered loads of ways not to get the job done. Originally I used a rod to make the cab pivot on the base. The problem was routing the wires for power to light the lights and still be able to rotate the cab. Like I said hours later I got rid of the post with some minor cursing and installed a one-quarter inch brass tube. Now I had a pivot and a wire routing source.

I hate destroying something to move forward, but this worked.

Rather than drill a hole in the base of the diorama to run electric to the crane and force it to be stationary I decided to power the rails so it would be moveable. That too was another engineering project.

I came up with the idea to use copper plated Kaydee coupler springs. I mounted a brass rod into a wood block and soldered the spring to it. These blocks will be mounted inside the trucks. Then I’d run a wire down the legs from the cab to the spring. The spring would contact the powered rail and viola!

A little test with the rails powered. Just enough rail to make it work.

And viola!

I should have included this photo too. I glued 2 soldering pads to the underside of the travel base so I could flip and flop the base around while I was running the wires without breaking something on the cab or boom. The tape has since come off.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/01/2019 12:00:30 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  2:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you ever sleep??

That was a great fix it Frank. I'd still be sleeping on that one!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  3:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice "Fix," Frank! Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: 1929 Ford AA truck and belly tank Topic Next Topic: Sylvan HO scale 1937 Ambulance.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000