Railroad Line Forums - So I wanted to make white decals...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 So I wanted to make white decals...
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Challenge: Build This Shed Topic Next Topic: Alexander Coaling Tower
Page: of 2

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  4:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Jeff,

The problem might be that, there is no white ink in a regular inkjet or laser printer. They both want to deposit color to white paper. Your computer screen displays RGB (red, green, blue), in various combos to produce white on the screen. A printer lays down CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black) to produce the desired color on white paper. The only "white ink" is currently available on that high $$$$ Okidata printer.

Jim

Not quite true, see https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/?lang=en

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  5:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I'd like to see some of your decal results. It seems like $266.08 + shipping, + white decal paper is a little over the top, when it can be done with a little ingenuity.

Jim

Edited by - BurleyJim on 06/26/2017 5:38:13 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  7:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These aren't mine, they're from the guy who told me about this. This is his first run through the printer (HO scale)

A close-up to check resolution on the really small lettering

dave

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  7:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 'cheap' model looks like you just get a white toner without the CMYK toners. The more elaborate kit for $1300+ is RTR. They are pretty sharp images.

Jim

Edited by - BurleyJim on 06/27/2017 6:30:44 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  8:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's right, it's the white cartridge instead of the black cartridge.

dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  10:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The B&O decals look decent as best I can tell. I wish he'd done his test application to a body that had been thoroughly stripped and then carefully airbrushed.

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  11:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand the desire to take on the project but in reality I can design a set of decals with my Corel Draw program, save the file an then e-mail it to Highball graphics and have Jim print it on his $Mega Okidata machine and have it in my hands in about 2 weeks. A 8.5x11 sheet is $35-$45

I'd much rather exchange e-mails with a pro than buy a bunch of hardware for what is a limited project.

I did do a set of decals in white on black, reporting mark patches, by printing on white paper, it printed the white square around the lettering and looked much like the B&O car above.

I will add this, i looked at the link on the Ghost product and it looks interesting, but what you're getting isn't clear to me.

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

Edited by - k9wrangler on 06/27/2017 09:29:28 AM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  06:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, How were those B&O decals printed? Inkjet? laser?Did he use white toner? white decal paper and print black? ALPS?

Edited by - Bill Gill on 06/27/2017 11:13:41 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  11:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must say that I find the tone of this conversation refreshing. When I started printing my own white decals 15+ years ago using my inkjet and white decal paper my approach was greeted with much hostility. I printed a mask the same color as the car body and heard a bunch of c_%p about how Impossible it would be to match the color. It's nice to see the this approach catching on.

Edited by - railman28 on 06/27/2017 2:31:28 PM

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  3:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looking at just the toner ctgs .. a HP Color LaserJet ctg is around $115

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  4:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Dave, How were those B&O decals printed? Inkjet? laser?Did he use white toner? white decal paper and print black? ALPS?

HP laser using the "Ghost Toner" cartridge. See my earlier post for the URL.

dave

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  4:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With shipping the basic package Ghost printer is in excess of $400!! Ships from Germany.

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

Edited by - k9wrangler on 06/27/2017 4:34:33 PM

CCT70
New Hire

Posted - 06/28/2017 :  10:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit CCT70's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a pair of Red Caboose 2 rail GP9's that I inherited from a now passed friend. One was supposed to be for me and one for him finished off in Western Pacific Perlman green and orange (stripes version). I have a few questions since I'm fairly new to O scale (3 rail) having been in HO most of my life.

Microscale did the decals in HO and N, but never has anyone done WP Perlman decals or CCT decals in O scale. Do any of you know of a place that can reproduce the Microscale HO sheet in O scale for me? I need that and the decals for my other GP9 project enlarged to O. The WP are straight orange decals. The Central California Traction decals are white and red. Any leads on that would be much appreciated. I know there are custom places like rail graphics but I don't want to order 50-200 sheets; more like 2-5 of each.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom Carter
Battleview & Sandalwood Valley Railroad
in On30 Scale

Edited by - CCT70 on 06/28/2017 10:54:19 PM

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  10:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone provide the Okidata Printer model number for me?

Thanks,

Manny

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  10:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link.

https://www.transferpaperexperts.com/white-toner-printer-start-up-packages

$4500 (that's a lot of decals to make) I'm sure you'll get a few orders from the guys here.

Jim

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Challenge: Build This Shed Topic Next Topic: Alexander Coaling Tower  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.84 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000