Railroad Line Forums - Bugs! Slippery rails.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Bugs! Slippery rails.
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New Locomotives Topic Next Topic: G Scale Modular  

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  1:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This last weekend I had an open house for our garden railroad group.I have 4% grades. After the first pass engine with 5 cars, the engine started slipping its drivers. I keep removing cars one by one until I just had the engine. Has anyone experienced this? THis is what I found on the track. I have tried sprays and still come back. Any ideas.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  1:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks like you slipping on bug guts... a good spray of malathion once a month should do it.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  8:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If I still lived in Illinois, but this is the land of fruits and nuts, it probably isn't allowed, besides it probably causes cancer in the state of California. LOL Thanks for the response, I'll probably have to go with something less toxic for the dogs and grand kids. Don't want them growing extra arms.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  8:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Since that is the case. I guess you'll just have to buy you a bunch of ladybugs.
The'll eat them....

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  8:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is the less toxic you seek than A good homemade insecticide is made using a soap spray, which is effective for controlling mites, aphids, whiteflies, beetles, and other little insects. To make a basic soap spray insecticide, mix 1 1/2 teaspoons of a mild liquid soap (such as castile soap) with 1 quart of water, and spray the mixture directly on the infected surfaces of the track and plants around the area. A soap spray insecticide works in a similar fashion as an oil spray pesticide, and can be applied as necessary (though it is always recommended to NOT apply it during the hot sunny part of the day, but rather in the evenings or early mornings). This is probably better used on your track. There is an oil mixture, but I'm not sure if it would be good used for your track.
The oil mixture is made from vegetable oil mixed with a mild soap (such as Dr. Bronners castile soap) can have a devastating effect on certain troublesome insects, such as aphids, mites, thrips, etc. To make a basic oil spray insecticide, mix 1 cup of vegetable oil with 1 tablespoon of soap (cover and shake thoroughly), and then when ready to apply, add 2 teaspoons of the oil spray mix with 1 quart of water, shake thoroughly, and spray directly on the surfaces of the track and plants which are being affected by the little pests. The oil coats the bodies of the insects, effectively suffocating them, as it blocks the pores through which they breathe.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  9:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The picture appears to show a lot of aphids. Look at nearby plants or trees overhead to see where they're coming from before you spray.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/21/2017 :  1:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, They appear to be coming from the grape vines on the roof of the patio area. Im going to try the soap, Ill let you know.

Previous Topic: New Locomotives Topic Next Topic: G Scale Modular  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.6 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000