Railroad Line Forums - Bitter Creek's new Box Car Kits
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 244 ]  [ Total: 246 ]  [ Newest Member: steamdonkey ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Bitter Creek's new Box Car Kits
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Great Shorpy photo for boxcar roofs and other deta Topic Next Topic: Art Griffin Decals
Page: of 4

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  03:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff of Bitter creek
(http://bittercreekmodels.com/) has come out with a new kits. One of which is for a 25' Central Pacific Box Car (kit K-20) that was in use from the construction period into the 20th century (well, some of them anyway). I will detail their built in this dedicated tread.
Here's a picture I "borrowed" from their WEB page of the finished car;

Here are some pictures of the laser cut pieces. notice that most pieces are labeled.

Notice that the end pieces have for holes for each Grab Iron. Yes two for the wire and two for N/B casting to better represent the hardware. This kit thus raises the bar for quality kits.

I really like the material he used for the car sides. Take a look at the metal castings;

The decals are excellent too;

The kits come with everything you need to model the car in any of it's revenue service days except for trucks and couplers.
Jeff also has a new truck the B-30 for these cars (not on line yet) but this is how they look;

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  08:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the "unboxing" photos, Bob.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  1:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I'm looking forward to watching. I built one of the 34' cars and enjoyed it thoroughly.

This is a pretty small car for my era but maybe I can find an eastern prototype, probably a New England railroad.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  4:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bob,

I'm looking forward to watching. I built one of the 34' cars and enjoyed it thoroughly.

This is a pretty small car for my era but maybe I can find an eastern prototype, probably a New England railroad.

Mike

Mike, cars were always getting "lost" in those days.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  4:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28
Mike, cars were always getting "lost" in those days.

Good point!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  6:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The instructions said about 22 of these cars made it to the 20th century. The instruction are very nicely done. Jeff used nice and large text which made for easy reading. There are six larger than life drawing to aid construction. Additionally a diagram from the Air brakes and three diagrams for decal placement are provided. As set out in these instructions the construction is pretty straight forward and if you have built any wood car kits in the past you should have no problem with these. .

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  7:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Westinghouse KC air brakes, or something more unusual?

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  9:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, they are "K"s. Tichy 3005 come with the kits.

I prefer to build freight cars in batches. so here you see 4 floors and frames assembled and drying;

From now on I'll show pictures of just one car as the build continues.
When I lined up the frame on the floor I made sure I could see daylight through the king pin hole and the two trust rods holes on both end of the frame. Like illustrated here in a crummy picture;

It's only make-believe

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  10:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like an interesting project Bob. I'll be following along'..

Ted

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  11:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ted,
Nothing revolutionary is happening here, just the ABC's of car building.

Here's the completed skeleton of the car;

should do Job. The Model should last as long as the prototypes did.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  07:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I'm impressed how square and strong these models turn out. No saggy roof, for sure.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  09:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a sturdy roof design, too often the roofs are more prototypical but a lot weaker/harder to get the roof to stay glued in place.

dave

drb
New Hire

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  5:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,

Looking forward to following your progress on this interesting kit. What is the wheelbase of the new trucks? Do they have 33" diameter wheels or are they smaller like their T-19 trucks that have 28" wheels?

Dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  12:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave The new T-30 trucks do 33" wheels and a 4.5' wheel base.

It's only make-believe

drb
New Hire

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  09:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Bob!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  11:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! I got more done on the cars.
I want to point out that you don't need to measure out where to place the truck bolsters or cross beam for the needle beams as their location is marked;

These cars were built before turnbuckles were in general use so none are provided. Fishing line is provided for the truss rods and is installed in the usual way. I stained the wood with a dark A&I and painted the metal parts with flat black. Later, after I add couplers, I'll dust the bottoms with a mud color that will blend and soften the colors and contrast. But this is how they look now:

Be sure to view my main thread to see what else I've been doing.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Great Shorpy photo for boxcar roofs and other deta Topic Next Topic: Art Griffin Decals  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000