Railroad Line Forums - The St. George Railroad (HOn30)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: biomed ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 The St. George Railroad (HOn30)
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: My brass K-27 is finally finished Topic Next Topic: Successful repair of my K-27s
Page: of 2

tillerman1
New Hire

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  8:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit tillerman1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here’s a track plan for the layout I just started as a way of trying out HOn30. The layout is in a 8x13 room, with an extension through the wall to the unfinished part of my basement. The St. George Railroad is a freelanced railroad running from just outside Thomaston, Maine, on the Maine Central, down the St. George peninsula to the town of Tenants Harbor, with a branch to a granite quarry in the middle of the peninsula.

The primary servicing facilities and interchange are at Thomaston Junction, but most of the traffic will likely run between the quarry (the branch located outside the finished train room), the stone cutting shed, and the pier at Tenants Harbor. There is also a lobster cannery at Tenants Harbor to provide additional traffic.

This next image shows the approximate route:

I have started building the bottom and left-hand sections, but my hobby time competes with a lot of other priorities, so progress tends to be slow. I’ll try to post an update every two or three weeks though.

John R.

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  9:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice plan. Looking forward to seeing how things progress.

Jeff S.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  07:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John,

Yes, nice plan. I'm also a freelance modeler. I'll be following along with the progress.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

tillerman1
New Hire

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  09:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit tillerman1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been building the set for a friend's community theater show, so I haven’t made a lot of progress over the past month, but I did build the benchwork for the first two sections and got started with tracklaying. Here’s a photo of the first section. The turntable will come later, and the standard gauge tracks aren’t installed yet since I haven't finalized the arrangement of the freight house and other buildings. The interchange siding in the foreground is elevated so that the narrow gauge decks will be at the same height as the standard gauge freight cars.

I considered handlaying using a more realistic rail size, but in the end I decided to go with Peco mainline flex and turnouts. To my eye, the oversized code 80 rail visually compensates for the overly-wide HOn30 track gauge, so that the overall look is similar to the prototype two-foot track I've seen.

This layout will be DC, but I did modify the turnouts to be “DCC friendly” and to avoid relying on the point rail for power routing. Power will instead be routed to the sidings via Blue Point switch machines.

More soon...

tillerman1
New Hire

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  11:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit tillerman1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been playing around with the layout height while installing the switch machines and wiring the first section. Here's the current arrangement:

The upper fascia may be a little too low although it does help hide the shelf brackets. After I finalize the height I will install the backdrop and lighting. In this photo the track height is 56.5", which seems to work pretty well for me.

tillerman1
New Hire

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  11:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit tillerman1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been spending most of my modeling time building freight cars, but am now turning my attention to structures. First up: the turntable that I promised seven months ago...

This is a Peco conversion based on an SR&RL wood turntable. I posted some construction details on my blog - note that I still have to add the truss rods and NBW castings. I am not entirely happy with the color of the pit walls but don't know if I will bother to repaint them.

I just ordered a Kingfield engine house kit from PLW, so once that arrives I will install the turntable and engine house tracks to complete the track on the first section.

John

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  08:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think A&I on the concrete pit walls will help.

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  7:33:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work on the turntable.

Jeff S.

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  8:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tillerman1

This is a Peco conversion based on an SR&RL wood turntable. I posted some construction details on my blog -

How do we find your blog?

Jeff S.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  9:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work on the turntable Jeff.

Checked out your blog. Looking good.

Benrd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

tillerman1
New Hire

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  10:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit tillerman1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jschumaker

How do we find your blog?

Jeff S.

Hi Jeff,

It is at stgeorgerailroad.blogspot.com.

-John

Edited by - tillerman1 on 12/20/2017 10:37:27 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  08:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, nice work on the turntable and the caboose in your blog is well done. I like the way you corrected the overspray on the windows.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  08:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress, John.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  08:35:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the length of that Peco turntable?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

tillerman1
New Hire

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  5:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit tillerman1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. George: the caboose windows definitely look better than they did, but it still looks like my crews are too lazy to wash them!

Dave, the Peco turntable is 6" long. For comparison, here is a photo with the Railway Recollections forney. Detailing and lettering the locomotive will be my next project.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  6:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!!!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: My brass K-27 is finally finished Topic Next Topic: Successful repair of my K-27s  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000