Railroad Line Forums - NNY RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 NNY RR
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: going smaller
Page: of 2

Tsehum
New Hire

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  9:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks

After sitting on the sidelines for a long time, I joined Railroad Line Forums in January because of the outstanding modelling and the encouragement by the members for each other's efforts.

My first post was to thank Mike for what I consider an inspirational thread on Nantahala Midland. I mentioned I was designing an N scale shelf layout and he indicated some interest in what I was doing (be careful of what you ask, Mike!).

So, my thinking went this way:

I live in a condo so it has to be a shelf layout.

It should have an Inglenook.

I love the old Gum Stump.

I have a replica of the Amtrak Coast Starlight that my wife and I took on our honeymoon from Seattle to San Diego in 1991.

Great Northern ran between Seattle WA and Vancouver BC.

I love GN Empire Builder colours and have acquired a couple of locomotives and some rolling stock of that era.

Rail-to-sea was and is common on the West Coast. It would be an ideal way to move different rolling stock on and off the layout.

I will use cassettes for the main line and the rail-to-sea.

The Inglenook is my primary focus and I have tried to work everything around it. As we all know, plans are great but they change when we put track down.

So, there you have it. I always welcome comments and suggestions. By the way, NNY RR is No Name Yet (I suffer from a lack of imagination!).

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  9:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian,

This looks like an interesting adaptation of the old Gum Stump. Go for it!

Cassettes on and off are common in the UK, and if you have a library nearby that carries "Hornby Magazine," you might find inspiration there. "Railway Modeller" magazine is another UK mag that often has good ideas for space-constrained layouts.

The Hard Part here is likely to be getting underway from the get-go, so don't be intimidated by the process! There's plenty of help available all over the place, and folks here are pretty good about commentary.

Go git 'em!

Pete
in Michigan

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  08:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brian, good to see you moving forward! Overall I like it, the two levels will give it a lot of visual interest. Be careful on the right hand side though. At 12" deep that much track will make scenery a real challenge. Any chance you could make the right hand side 14 to 18 inches deep?

Mike

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  09:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Brian! Its great to see another layout come to life. You will get lot's of great feedback here. I will be following along!

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  11:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll also be keeping an eye on your progress. Enjoy!

Tsehum
New Hire

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  12:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments! I appreciate any and all suggestions. You're right, Mike. The 12 inch width on the right side is very tight given the amount of trackage. I'll do a mock-up before committing to constructing and mounting the shelf.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  4:17:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian,

You have an interesting track plan with lots of operations potential. Should be fun!

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Tsehum
New Hire

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  11:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike! It looks like it will work on paper - the moment of truth will come when the track goes down.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  07:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Lads

Itís been quite a while since my last post in this Forum (see NNY RR) so I thought it about time for an update.

My original plan was for an L-shaped shelf layout however lack of space caused me to rethink the whole thing. At present I have a 2x4 ft. On30 mini and an 18x33 in. On18 mini. The little On18 layout is more or less complete and I havenít done much with it for some time other than to run my N scale rolling stock. So, why not convert it to functioning N scale layout?
The first stage will be the storage shelf on the upper right which I can use as a modified Inglenook for some fun switching puzzles and the replacement of the On18 turntable and sidings. The second stage will be a reverse loop on the left and extension of the upper level sidings. Being a DC analog Neanderthal, I realize Iíll have fun wiring the wye and the reverse loop but thereís lots of information online to help out.

Cheers

Brian
Victoria, BC

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  08:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I probably can't be of much help to you on this plan as it violates two of my three main rules for track planning . They are no duckunders (which you don't have) and no wyes or reverse loops. My reasoning is that they aren't realistic in most cases. Reverse loops, wyes, double slip switches, turntables ect. were avoided like the plague by real railroads unless they had NO other choice as they were expensive to install and maintain and the same applies to the models as well. The same can be said for motorized turnouts in the model world as well. That said these are my rules not yours and if you like those things then you should include them on your layout. That aside it looks like you don't have enough length leaving the wye to gain enough elevation to clear the track inside the tunnel?

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  09:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian,

Iíll second Mikeís concern regarding the track over the tunnels and add the observation that switching cars on a grade is to be avoided as a source of colorful language.

Do you have an operations scheme in mind?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Tsehum
New Hire

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  1:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike & Mike

Thanks for your input! When I built the On18 mini I didn't want a flat layout so I added a grade from the front of the layout to the upper level. As it happens there will be ample clearance for N scale rolling stock.

I could easily eliminate the wye and save myself the cost of 2 turnouts - probably the best thing to do.

Insofar as the reverse loop is concerned, I was very impressed by Prof Klyzlr's Dynamite Canyon video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lbdod_dXJU

Operations would consist of sorting cars on the Inglenook/storage sidings (interchange), then out and back on the reversing loop to the upper sidings, resort and return.

Given the space available, I thought that would give me a little bit of running as well as the appearance of 2 destinations.

I'll look forward to your comments.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  06:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian how long is that layout from right to left?

Mike

Tsehum
New Hire

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  10:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike

Here is a revised plan with dimensions:

The original On18 mini was designed to fit inside a Rubbermaid container (minus the mountain top, trees and buildings).

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  08:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.K. now that I see that it's 8 feet long I understand how you can get clearance for the tunnel. I like that plan better, with the wye and reverse loop gone it will save you a ton of wiring hassles. You have a track running to the left along the bottom edge of the layout that appears to go into a tunnel. Where does it go or is it a hidden staging/storage track?

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/21/2018 08:29:13 AM

Tsehum
New Hire

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  7:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry it isn't clear, Mike - I'm still learning about the best size and resolution for posting photos. The hidden track on the left is the dreaded reverse loop. I hope this helps:

Page: of 2 Topic Next Topic: going smaller  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000