Railroad Line Forums - SWSM Railroad Camp Scratch Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SWSM Railroad Camp Scratch Build
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Buchenauers Garage Topic Next Topic: Steam Nuts 1.5 Scale PRR Switcher
Page: of 2

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  5:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some time ago i had SWSM Railroad Camp. Unfortunately i had to part with the kit and put the money into household stuff but at the time i copied the templates and things to tackle a scratch build down the line when i was ready.

I decided to make a start on the boiler and welding shop this week for something different then my sawmill.

I dont have the correct windows ect but i am trying to capture the feel of the structures.

here is a pic of the main wall (sorry just a phone pic at the time being)

Download Attachment: WP_20170217_08_30_59_Pro.jpg
185.28 KB

Modeling the Northern Pacific Yacolt Branch
https://yacoltbranch.blogspot.com.au/

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  9:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start. And the coloring is fine.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  05:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have done the same thing with a kit or two, either having sold it, or prefer a scratchbuild of the kit because I didn't like the materials. I'll be following along. Nice job so far.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  5:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the most interesting new things I have encountered on this site is the scratchbuilding of kits. I would never have thought of doing such a thing. I find watching such builds both educational and fun. Really, a new dimension.

Looks good so far. It's going to be an interesting project to watch.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  6:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At the moment i wont tackle the main building as i am still pondering how to do the stone wall sections. i Have the dimensions in my note book but i haven't had much luck calving stone similar to what Brett can come up with. Im also wondering if the stone in a building like this would have been a little more "dressed". Plenty to think about before i tackle that one.

I have the frame details for the truck shed. I need to adjust them a little to fit the windows i have in stock.

Since i dont have a layout to put these on i think they will end up in a module for future use. A bit of a backwoods workshop loco service area ect.

Anyway more picture later tonight as im spending the day at the bench :-)

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  7:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adrian,
Nice project and I will be following along. Do you have any kits with a stone wall in them? If not, and you happen upon a kit with either a stone wall or a brick wall, get yourself a jar of liquid rubber and make a mold from one of them. Then pour a few walls, cut them up to fashion one the size you need. You can cut in your own sized window and door openings. OR, you can get ahold of that lazy Mario and tell him to make some and send them to you! Looking good so far.
Rich

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  8:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adrian, looking good so far. I'll certainly be following along.
The stonework should be an interesting challenge.
Many methods & products out there.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  9:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A little bit of work.
I didn't have any shingles i wanted to use other then the really old FSM ones. I decided to give them a go. I used a small pair of scissors i use for fly tieing trout flies to cut them in the un even finish. They are just the natural paper with white dry brush and some powder wreathing.

I made the stone firebox from scratch. I formed up a styrene box and poured hydro-stone then carved it out. It is stained with a red weathering powder. Now i need to build the door on it and add some motor to the joints.

Download Attachment: WP_20170220_08_46_35_Pro.jpg
130.86 KB

Download Attachment: WP_20170220_08_46_27_Pro.jpg
136.39 KB

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  07:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrian_bateySome time ago i had SWSM Railroad Camp. Unfortunately i had to part with the kit... but at the time i copied the templates and things to tackle a scratch build down the line when i was ready.

so is there nothing ethically wrong with this practice? the manufacturer takes time to develop a product, and maybe copyright the instructions. this mimics copying a master part in resin.

and yet i need to buy a whole magazine to get a one page article? i don't understand the difference.

rda
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  2:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I understand it, (certainly I'm not a copyright attorney) when you buy the kit you have purchased "fair use" of it in all or in part. You are free to make copies of both the parts and the plans, PROVIDED you do not profit by it, ie you don't sell any of the materials. I've no idea of the situation of trading "like for like". Will be interesting to hear more informed comments than mine.

RDA

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  5:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by southpier

quote:
Originally posted by adrian_bateySome time ago i had SWSM Railroad Camp. Unfortunately i had to part with the kit... but at the time i copied the templates and things to tackle a scratch build down the line when i was ready.

so is there nothing ethically wrong with this practice? the manufacturer takes time to develop a product, and maybe copyright the instructions. this mimics copying a master part in resin.

and yet i need to buy a whole magazine to get a one page article? i don't understand the difference.

I guess the difference is if i want to build a model i build a model and get on with the hobby and enjoy the time i have at my workbench.

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  6:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and the heck with the manufacturer, eh? hardly seems fair.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  8:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally Posted by: southpier- Engine Wiper- 10/25/2016 : 01:27:48 AM

MRR, about 1957, had a cover and article about building a two-story, wedge shaped, drug store/ apartment building. berkshire valley later kitted this in resin.

any chance someone could lead me to plans? wish i could offer better information!

thanks

Aren't you the same fellow who asked in the Model Railroad Forums / Startin' from Scratch forum, wanting the plans for a kit? Therefore,
Why is in not ok for Adrian to copy his kit plans, (as he actually bought a kit), and you hadn't purchased any kit at all, but wanted the plans?
I don't get it! Why the "change of heart?"
Be carefull when you throw stones!

Rich

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  10:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

quote:

Originally Posted by: southpier- Engine Wiper- 10/25/2016 : 01:27:48 AM

MRR, about 1957, had a cover and article about building a two-story, wedge shaped, drug store/ apartment building. berkshire valley later kitted this in resin.

any chance someone could lead me to plans? wish i could offer better information!

thanks

Aren't you the same fellow who asked in the Model Railroad Forums / Startin' from Scratch forum, wanting the plans for a kit? Therefore,
Why is in not ok for Adrian to copy his kit plans, (as he actually bought a kit), and you hadn't purchased any kit at all, but wanted the plans?
I don't get it! Why the "change of heart?"
Be carefull when you throw stones!

Rich

i wasn't asking for plans for free. i wasn't sure of the location of the article so referenced the BV kit as a point of reference. after reading the quoted thread, i can see my poor writing skills enabled you, great sleuthing, too, by the way, to interpret my request as the kit plans.

unfortunately, reading and - if i ever! - get around to building the model, wouldn't be the same from the kit plans as the magazine which i first saw when i was about eight years old.

as it turned out, just before the holidays last year i bought the correct MR issue in a lot of magazines from ebay.

i wasn't throwing stones, i was asking how, or if, it was ethical to boast about copying something someone worked to develop as part of their business.

but thanks for playing along; good to know you're still on board!

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  10:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and if the previous post was too much reading, Rich (happy face happy face - don't know how to do those either), maybe you could address the question rather than make a personal attack.

care to give it a shot?

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  11:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't trying to attack you personally but by reading your post comments, I deduct that whether the plans come from a kit or a magazine, yes there should be copyright issues. I also believe that if you buy a kit, it is now your kit, and usually when we buy a kit, we buy it to build. If the need arises to later down the road, sell it, it is your choice to do so. If you have a magazine article with a plan, do you ask the article author if you can use his plan to build your model? Probably not, it is now sixty years later.
Sorry if I stepped on your toes here but this is Adrian's build thread .
Rich

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Buchenauers Garage Topic Next Topic: Steam Nuts 1.5 Scale PRR Switcher  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000