Railroad Line Forums - Louís Logging High Wheel Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password


Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Louís Logging High Wheel Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: F&SM RR Some New Scenes & Some Old Topic Next Topic: Paint
Page: of 8

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member


Posted - 02/10/2017 :  1:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis,
Your models are fantastic and your talent to create is inspiring. Beautiful attention to detail is exceptional.
Thank you for sharing your ideas.
Dave



Country: USA | Posts: 1417 Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman



Posted - 02/10/2017 :  2:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis pontificated,

quote:
Get ready for more then, because Bernd said I should build a cattle car to haul the oxen or horses to their destination along with the High Wheel.


Well Louis I didn't know I had such power over you.

I saw a picture of oxen hitched to one of those big wheels and thought it would make a neat display just like the horses. I wait in anticipation of seeing another neat model materialize. Of course if you need a rest from modeling, by all means do so. But I want it finished yesterday.

Bernd


A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Country: USA | Posts: 2552 Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer



Posted - 02/10/2017 :  4:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

I know yours is an open flatcar with draft horses, but seeing it with them onboard makes me think of the scene in Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid where the RR baggage door slides open and mounted Pinkertons leap out :)



Hey Bill, that's because what you seen, was a Pinkerton mounted car. In those days they traveled in a car made up for them and there horses.




Country: USA | Posts: 17258 Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer



Posted - 02/10/2017 :  4:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Louis,
Your models are fantastic and your talent to create is inspiring. Beautiful attention to detail is exceptional.
Thank you for sharing your ideas.
Dave




Thanks very much Dave for your kind comments, and posting your thoughts.



Country: USA | Posts: 17258 Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer



Posted - 02/10/2017 :  4:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Louis pontificated,

quote:
Get ready for more then, because Bernd said I should build a cattle car to haul the oxen or horses to their destination along with the High Wheel.


Well Louis I didn't know I had such power over you.

I saw a picture of oxen hitched to one of those big wheels and thought it would make a neat display just like the horses. I wait in anticipation of seeing another neat model materialize. Of course if you need a rest from modeling, by all means do so. But I want it finished yesterday.

Bernd



I told Ted to get ready, because you did come up with a excellent idea for me to include a horse car. I had looked into making an Ox car as well, but the only HO Ox I've been able to get is from Noch I believe, and they come as a set with different types of wagons. Too much money just for the Oxen. Thanks for following my builds, and keep up with the ideas.



Country: USA | Posts: 17258 Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman



Posted - 02/10/2017 :  9:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

I told Ted to get ready, because you did come up with a excellent idea for me to include a horse car. I had looked into making an Ox car as well, but the only HO Ox I've been able to get is from Noch I believe, and they come as a set with different types of wagons. Too much money just for the Oxen. Thanks for following my builds, and keep up with the ideas.



Ok, got an idea. How about just an ordinary cow. Now you might get in trouble with the feminists for making a female work like that though. You could always add some horns and add ...............ah never mind. This could get me in trouble. Perhaps a set of ordinary cows. And if you wanted to you could do a John Allen and use a dinosaur or two. Just kidding.

I'll put my thinking cap on and see what other ideas I can come up with. Going to go and have my beer now.

Bernd


A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Country: USA | Posts: 2552 Go to Top of Page

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member


Posted - 02/10/2017 :  9:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

I know yours is an open flatcar with draft horses, but seeing it with them onboard makes me think of the scene in Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid where the RR baggage door slides open and mounted Pinkertons leap out :)



Hey Bill, that's because what you seen, was a Pinkerton mounted car. In those days they traveled in a car made up for them and there horses.





Hmmmmmmm', Louis', I see it now a "Pnkerton" Union Pacific Detective car, to marry up with the flat hoarse car'. A complete set'......Hmmmmm I wonder if Bernd, is thinking along the same line'......




Ted

Country: USA | Posts: 5456 Go to Top of Page

Bernd
Fireman



Posted - 02/11/2017 :  08:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Hmmmmmmm', Louis', I see it now a "Pnkerton" Union Pacific Detective car, to marry up with the flat hoarse car'. A complete set'......Hmmmmm I wonder if Bernd, is thinking along the same line'......



No I didn't think along those lines. One reason is we're talking logging and looking for the bad guys.

Bernd


A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Country: USA | Posts: 2552 Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer



Posted - 02/25/2017 :  11:39:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louís Logging High Wheel Build: Part 2
By making the logging high wheel an animated display model, I decided on placing it onto a flatcar as a transported load. Horses attached to the High Wheel were not feasible, due to displaying the operation of the High Wheel would cause the horses to just hang and dangle, while trying to display the movements of the tongue/pole Jacob Staff mechanism system. By placing it onto a flat car I am able to display it on the rails being transported, and also be able to take it off to show how it works when in use.
I picked up an old Mantua ATSF flat car at a train show $3.00 bin. The Mantua truck couplers were cut off/removed from the trucks, and a set of number 5 Kadee couplers were body mounted onto the flatcar under carriage. The truck journals for the axles to run smoother, I used a Micro Mark's Truck Tuner to clean out the flash from the truck bearings, and replaced the wheel sets with Intermountain metal wheel sets, HO 36" precision blackened wheels InterMountain #IRC 40051. A quick and simple black coloring with a LabelMaster Labelwriter was used on the under frame to cover the plastic. Now on to the deck weathering and detailing.








Country: USA | Posts: 17258 Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer



Posted - 12/06/2017 :  7:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started this flat car for transporting my logging high wheel back in February of this year, and here it is only ten Months away.
I wanted to include it in this Monthís Photo Gallery: Dec. 2017 "Modeling Year In Review" so Iím back at it to finish-up this project. I stained the decking with Floquil Flo-Stain Driftwood # 110720 and Oak # 110723. While the two stains were wet, I brushed on both colors in a hap hazard way across the deck. First picture. After the stains had dried, I brushed on a Denatured Alcohol and Brown Shoe Die mix. Second picture.
Next step will be to place wood shavings and bark across the top of the deck.






Country: USA | Posts: 17258 Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer



Posted - 12/07/2017 :  4:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the wood chips, and dead fall forest debris scattered over the flat car deck, I used PetsPick natural red cedar bedding, that I grind up in an old coffee grinder until I get the right size saw dust mix wood chips. Glued down with a white glue/water mix.






Country: USA | Posts: 17258 Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer



Posted - 12/09/2017 :  12:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Logging High Wheel has been chained down onto the flatcar, and ready for traveling to the logging areas. Possibly some bales of hay and wooden barrels added onto the flatcar, or chains and other details will be done in the future for added visual effects. For now this project is completed.








Country: USA | Posts: 17258 Go to Top of Page

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  3:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neat stuff Louis!
And I really like that trestle in the last shot...!



Country: USA | Posts: 2755 Go to Top of Page

desertdrover
Engineer



Posted - 12/09/2017 :  6:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Neat stuff Louis!
And I really like that trestle in the last shot...!



Thanks Carl! That was a Campbell Scale Models- Timber Trestle kit.



Country: USA | Posts: 17258 Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman



Posted - 12/09/2017 :  7:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis,

Very nice job on the flat car.

Those cowboys seem to be having a good time.

Mike


_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Country: USA | Posts: 3707 Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic: F&SM RR Some New Scenes & Some Old Topic Next Topic: Paint  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000