Railroad Line Forums - Lou’s Logging High Wheel Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 55 ]  [ Total: 56 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Lou’s Logging High Wheel Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: F&SM RR Some New Scenes & Some Old Topic Next Topic: Paint
Page: of 8

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  10:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like another hand full of interest. 400 plus lurking, and a dozen followers. But, for those interested in modeling I push onward.

This method idea seems to be plausible, so I cut the wheels down to a semicircle to lay on top of the axle, and will make up the Jacob Staff mechanism that also fits on top of the axle to raise and lower the chain cam. The two small spikes from Micro Engineering, the last picture in the top photos, will be drilled into the front of the chain cam, and used as chain hooks to attach the chain that loops under the logs being dragged.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  11:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, that is some very creative craftsmanship'. How did they get the chains under the logs?

Ted

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  11:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Louis, that is some very creative craftsmanship'. How did they get the chains under the logs?

Thanks Ted!
Good old man power. Sometimes when the logs are mashed into the soil they dig under them, or roll the log over onto the chain, with cant hooks, or peaveys to get a chain around them. Also, grabs or a skip hammer, is used to get the logs that are flat on the ground up high enough to slip the chain under. Below is a picture of the peavey that was used most often being the best versatile tool in the woods.
Second picture is the cant hook.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  11:25:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis, thanks for all the research, and excellent research it is I might add. Oh and nice looking high wheel.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  11:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talk about real work' It always amazes me how difficult and the actual
hard labor our ancestors endured in every day life. The team horses sure earned their keep as well. Thank goodness Peta wasn't around back then'..
As Frank mentioned, good research Louis and excellent tutorial...

Ted

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  12:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Louis, thanks for all the research, and excellent research it is I might add. Oh and nice looking high wheel.

quote:

Talk about real work' It always amazes me how difficult and the actual
hard labor our ancestors endured in every day life. The team horses sure earned their keep as well. Thank goodness Peta wasn't around back then'..
As Frank mentioned, good research Louis and excellent tutorial...

Thanks very much Frank for your comments.

Hey Ted, there was no OSHA back then, just back breaking man power. The work animals did earn there keep.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  12:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou, Sent you an email.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  3:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Lou, Sent you an email.

Hey Bill, I had a look at that article of the rock transporter. There again shows how these people back then came up with these great ideas. I've never seen or heard of that one. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Maybe another idea to use these big wheels I got from Jim, member (BurleyJim).

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  3:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The chain pins used, from two small spikes from Micro Engineering, has been drilled into the cam, and glued into place, and chains are attached to see how that part of the system works. Also, the start of the Jacob Staff mechanism has been cut from Evergreen #224, 1/8” tube 7/8” long, with a 1/8” long piece for the front bearing. As seen in the first set of pictures. The second picture shows the chain & cam, the parts for the shaft cut, and below that, the parts glued together to make-up the top section of the Jacob Staff. Last set of pictures shows where the top of the shaft will be glued to the cross member of the chain cams.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  12:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again a trip to the Michaels Store, proved to have a part that will work for the hinged section of the Jacob Staff chain cam. Following through the below pictures, you can see where a picture frame brass hanger will work for the hinge system, that I need to install onto the top of the High Wheel to raise and lower the Chain Cam mechanism. The brass plate hanger wire was removed, and the brass piece was notched at the two top corners to fit in-between the cams, and a notch was made at the bottom for the tongue/pole to slide through. For the hinge pin, I used a section cut from the hanger wire and flattened at both ends to connect to the bottom of the cams.

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  2:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting build of a rarely modelled subject. Nice work :)

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  7:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danielb

Interesting build of a rarely modelled subject. Nice work :)

Thank you Dan for your comments, and posting a reply.
However, it seems like interest is dropping rapidly.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  7:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first hinged section of the Jacob Staff with chain cam is completed and painted black. The second part of the Jacob Staff is being made-up using two 5mm screw eyes, screwed into both ends of a 5/8” piece of WD-40 tube. A piece of Evergreen #224, 1/8” tube 1/8” long is cut to be used as a bearing, and glued on top of a piece of Evergreen square tube #253, 3/16” cut 1/8” long that will be attached to the tongue/pole permanently. By doing this, as the tongue/pole is moved backwards, the shaft bends at the middle, and folds into the up position, lowering the log chain, as the tongue/pole is moved forward, the shaft is pulled to the down position, tightening the log chain up under the High Wheel axle. Obviously as seen in the last picture, I could have gotten away with a smaller type rod for the front of the shaft, but hey I’m working with HO, and also trying to get this thing a workable display piece. So the parts have to be a bit heftier to hold up to the animation.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  7:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work Louis'. Cain't wait to see it in operation'..

Ted

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  9:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Excellent work Louis'. Cain't wait to see it in operation'..

Thanks for following along Ted!

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: F&SM RR Some New Scenes & Some Old Topic Next Topic: Paint  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000