Railroad Line Forums - Louís Logging High Wheel Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Louís Logging High Wheel Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: F&SM RR Some New Scenes & Some Old Topic Next Topic: Paint
Page: of 8

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  2:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it comes to scratch building, you just have to like Michaelís Stores craft section. Iíve found many helpful modeling supplies there in the past. Point in hand, these rub rails for the High Wheels. For the life of me I thought from the starting idea on making this project, ďwhat will I use for the wheel support/rub railsĒ?
Well there they were, a package of Wire Hoop assortment used for jewelry & Craft. After cutting to size, and re-shaping the circle, I had my wheel support/rub rails. Plus, the ends that I cut off can be useful eyebolts.
These rings were attached, two or three per wheel, for supports to the wooden spokes and used as rub rails for the logs.
Now for painting up the wheels, attaching the wheel support/rub rails, and placing them onto the axle.

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  2:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awesome Louis!

Philip

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  3:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those rings are perfect Louis. I don't think the model company could have provided anything as good'..What a great find'..

Ted

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  4:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

awesome Louis!

Philip

quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Those rings are perfect Louis. I don't think the model company could have provided anything as good'..What a great find'..

Thanks so much Philip.

Thanks Ted, I got lucky on this find. Sure made it easier.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  4:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coming right along Louis, those rings look real nice.

Jim

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  5:08:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Coming right along Louis, those rings look real nice.

Jim

Thanks Jim, as you can see those wheels came in really great for this project. I like the fact I was able to glue two of them back-to-back and get what I needed. Thanks!

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  09:32:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Louis: Very interesting project, thanks for sharing. Love those wire loops, I was also wondering how you would model them....Joe CCCModOn30

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  11:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MorganHillRR

Hey Louis: Very interesting project, thanks for sharing. Love those wire loops, I was also wondering how you would model them....Joe CCCModOn30

Hi Joe, thanks for your comments, following along, and posting a reply.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  11:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At this stage of the build, other than the horseís rigging hardware, all you would have to do is mount the chain hooks to the top of the axle, and you are done with your build. (See fifth picture down). The first original High Wheels without the slip tongue style were made in this way. Called stiff "stinger" tongues. With the slip tongue style High Wheels, that I am building, a team of horses pulled on the tongue, it slid through the hounds, which pulled the Jacob Staff (a rotating rod and lever system) forward, thus rotating the chain cams and raising the logs off the ground. Here is where my next process is making up the Jacob Staff chain cam.

This set of pictures shows the Jacob Staff above the axle, and the chain cam. This is the mechanism that raises and lowers the logs on the High Wheel. System operations explained above.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  11:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the rings!

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  12:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Nice job on the rings!

Thanks Bob!

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  3:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With an update of progress: Now for my chain cam mechanism, this is my first idea, so where it goes from here is a trial and error at best. Whether I stay with this idea or change at some point, Iím starting off with using Kadee HOn3 wheel sets. The picture below describes the cuts I made to the wheel sets, and a picture of the re-glued wheel sets to make-up the first part of the chain cam. The first wheel set had both the axle cone ends cut flush with the wheels. Second wheel set had both axle cone ends, and wheels cut flush with the wheel flanges. Then a wheel was re-glued onto the first wheel set at both sides, where the wheel flanges were on the outer edges to keep the chain within the now called drum area.

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  3:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Brilliant

Bob

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  4:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very clever ideas, Louis.

George

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  8:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob and George!

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: F&SM RR Some New Scenes & Some Old Topic Next Topic: Paint  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000