Railroad Line Forums - The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: My On30 + On18 Modules
Page: of 24

Ronmallon
New Hire

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  01:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the new wealthy affiliate website is along very nice. Looking forward to seeing it when it's all finished.

Edited by - Ronmallon on 07/23/2017 05:50:07 AM

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  7:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for looking and for the encouragement. I will have more pictures when something interesting happens. I got the rest of the track laid and the loco can manage to cover the whole area without skipping a beat! Now I am installing the Bullfrog turnout controls. I have never installed turnout controls. My last layout had Atlas-type snap switches, I think, so this is new to me. I will post pictures of that endeavour. I was going to paint my backdrop and install it later but now I'm debating that option. Pros are that I can paint it flat on the ground instead of leaning over the layout and cons are that I might scratch the top bit (probably unseen anyway) when I slide it through the slots to hold it in place. I also lose the ability to work on the layout from the backside.
Anyway, I'll figure it out.
I did make some progress on figuring out a design and layout of my engine maintenance facility and engine house. The wharf area is still a design-in-progress although I may go ahead and get the wharf structure built and worry about buildings later, once it is up. I think I may have commitment issues as I am worried that putting the dock and track in will mean I am locked into a certain footprint.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  1:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here's an embarrassing question....how does one uncouple cars using Kadee knuckle couplers? I have seen pictures of guys holding a bamboo skewer between cars but I'm not sure what they are actually doing. I think I used to have uncoupling magnets on my old HO RR and I may go that way again but in the meantime it seems I have to fight to uncouple my cars. (This sounds so dumb
Dave

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  10:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ0AeE26zCk

or a kadee pick #241

Philip

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  12:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip, I just watched that video. Brilliant! Thank you so much!
Cheers,
Dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  1:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Parts of my layout have Kadee magnets, but I'm only installing new magnets where pick/skewer access is difficult.

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  3:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm kinda interested in link and pin set-up, just to be dangerous

Philip

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  3:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw a video where the guy used small rare-earth magnets buried under the ballast. I have quite a few floating around so I may try that method also.
Cheers,
Dave

ChiloquinRuss
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  6:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChiloquinRuss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
" small rare-earth magnets " Play around with polarity as you want to go from side to side and not down the track. Some rare earth magnets polar curves look more like a bar bell with force lobes on each END with nothing in the middle. Russ

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  10:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russ, I don't know if I understand you correctly. Are you saying to line them along the side of the rail, South on one side and North on the other? That's what I was going to do. Or does one have the same polarity on both sides? It seems that you want the magnets to pull the "air hoses" away from the middle.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  7:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started putting in my Bullfrog turnout controls. I had to place the ones closer to the fascia on a block to lower the control rod attachment so that there wouldn't be too much of a bend in it. The turnout controls further away should have enough room to gently bend down to the proper spot on the fascia.
I drilled the holes for the wire before I glued down the track but I think I was a little skimpy on the hole size. Once the turnout was down I drew a line parallel to the point travel and copied it to the bottom of the sub bed. This was to ensure that when the turnout control rod moved it wasn't going to push or pull the points out of alignment. It needs to travel on the same parallel plane as the rail above.
I drew some marks to help align the Bullfrog control, planted some screws and after some fiddling to line everything up, it seemed to work. While there are microswitches to change the polarity of the frogs, I have DCC-friendly switches and they don't seem to need any help.
I had to drill out the hole to allow the wire to stick through and then trim it flush with the top of the cross member. I want to make sure they all work correctly before trimming the wires in case I need to move them.

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  7:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/david clark/2017414192337_DSC04512_opt.jpg" border="0">
Here you can see the block I glued in to lower the mechanism. I drew a black vertical line to line up the control wire going through the sub bed.

This is a view of the top of the track showing the alignment marks to keep the mechanism travelling parallel with switch points.

This is a view of the same switch from below showing the parallel line and the hole for the wire is circled.

Here I have installed the turnout control. The light pencil line is parallel to the dark line but moved down so that I could line up the edge of the control. The red and black wires in the background are just feeder wires for the track

Here you can see the wire sticking through. It will get trimmed once I am satisfied that everything works properly.
Cheers,
Dave

ChiloquinRuss
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  10:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChiloquinRuss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What I was referring to is to check your magnets to see which way the magnetic flux flows. Kadee magnets go from side to side. If you have some magnets and don't know which way they are oriented, put a piece of paper over it and sprinkle some metal filings onto the paper, it will show you the flux pattern. You want the flux to pull your couplers from side to side. I hope I explained it right! Russ

Download Attachment: mag poles.JPG
17.37 KB

Edited by - ChiloquinRuss on 04/14/2017 10:29:49 PM

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  1:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it! Thanks, Russ. So I may need to actually position them on their sides.....
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  1:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got my supplies to split my LED strips behind the valance. Terminal blocks and jumper wires to bridge the gap. Did one at everything still lit up, so that's good. Will do the other two strips when I get some more time. Will need to cut the rail to actually separate the two modules. I think I'm a little worried that once I do that I might introduce some electrical gremlin even though all my track is wired with feeders (so my fears aren't founded - I just need to do it). Will get some more pictures at that point. These posts are no fun without pictures. On a good note I received notice that my Banta mine is waiting at the post office. On a less good note, it is waiting because I owe duty on it. Still a new, shiny thing is always good.
Cheers,
dave

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: My On30 + On18 Modules  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000