Railroad Line Forums - The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 61 ]  [ Total: 61 ]  [ Newest Member: RLJones ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30 Topic Next Topic: Okie Logging Camp Kitchen and Dining room cars
Page: of 29

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  2:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After months of 1:1 work building a built-in shelf unit for the living room I got some time to paint a little. There is so much to do on the layout that it took me about an hour to figure out what I was going to spend time on and then to get it sorted - ayah!
I settled on a boxcar to paint. After not doing any regular painting for a few years, many of my paints were dry, I couldn't remember what colours I had and on and on. Anyway here's what transpired: Comments and critiques are welcome.
I started with scrubbing the plastic with a fibreglas pen to roughen up the surface and scrub off the original road name.

I then mixed up some paint similar in colour to the existing which turned out to be Raw sienna and some Burnt Umber and I added a little grey to lighten it up here and there.
For the interior floor I painted it a sandy-grey colour and gave it a wash of Games Workshop's brown wash.

I painted the wheels and trucks with my remaining Camo Brown Rustoleum but I think next time I will use a lighter colour. I tried lightening up the wheels with some rust colour but not sure about it.

I stippled some dust/sandy colour on the sides of the boxcar to represent kicked up dust.You can also see the painted over "previous owner" logo.

The roof was painted a dark grey with some planks lightened up with a lighter grey. You can see the wheels in the third picture - they are more rusty-like.

I finished up with some chalk weathering.

I still have to figure out how to get my logo on the cars (or even if I want to).
Cheers,
Dave

Edited by - David Clark on 03/27/2019 2:52:54 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  4:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Dave ... that looks excellent ... I love the look of the trucks & wheels ... nice work!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  4:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NICE.

Frank

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  4:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  8:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done David.

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2019 :  8:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent. I will remember this when I paint mine.

Roland

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2019 :  08:14:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2019 :  09:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent paint and weathering, Dave. And a little history with the ghostly herald too.

Mike

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2019 :  1:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice comments, guys. I hope to be more regular with progress in the future.
Cheers,
Dave

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2019 :  07:37:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, good weathering.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2019 :  2:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bill. I must say, having such well-respected and accomplished modelers following along and offering encouragement is great praise!
Cheers,
Dave

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  12:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave did you spray paint that box car??

And whose kit was it??

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2019 :  12:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Dave did you spray paint that box car??

And whose kit was it??

It was a Bachmann Spectrum kit. I just brush painted it with tube acrylics. I found them to be quite translucent - they wouldn't cover the old logo. I had to add model acrylic - Vallejo - to cover it. When I get home I will list the colours I used - I wrote them down so that I could duplicate it on others.
Cheers,
Dave

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  12:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job! Convincing.

You can follow my construction of the logging camp kitchen: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47400&whichpage=1 and the dining hall at http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50236

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2019 :  09:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Great job painting.

Page: of 29 Previous Topic: The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30 Topic Next Topic: Okie Logging Camp Kitchen and Dining room cars  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000