Railroad Line Forums - The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: My On30 + On18 Modules
Page: of 24

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  10:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Your building mock-ups are charming in themselves. A great aid to planning as well.

Regarding tides, you donít have to model the full range of 12í.

Anyway, itís nice seeing your progress.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  12:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for looking in Mike...and the nice comments. What I was thinking was that if, as suggested, I have sea bed showing then I need to have 20' or so of "room" for the tide to come in, which means that my dock needs to be about 5" high and it's only 2". That's why I was going to show the water at almost high tide (so there will be some high water marks showing but not a lot).
Cheers,
Dave

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  2:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know there's not going to be ships but if there were ships wouldn't the water have to be deep at all times? Meaning the shore would never show. Maybe you could have the dock resting on a sea wall? So only water shows. Just a thought.

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  3:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan large paddle wheelers can float in about 2 foot of water. You can portray a harbor without the water. Leave some waders by the door and tell visitors that they may need them because they are standing in water!!

bruce

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  5:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce...good one! There was a news feature on CBC about all the garbage that has been accumulating underwater off the coast of a Newfoundland town. There is a scary amount of stuff under there. I know there wasn't a lot of concern about the environment in decades gone by. Out of sight, out of mind! Barnacle-covered shop equipment, some tires, and possibly the spoils of a whiskey-running operation gone wrong, come to mind.
Cheers,
Dave

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  6:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were wanting to show more water but felt you didn't have the room. That was why I suggested what I did.

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  12:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrell, you are not wrong. I think my musings are just confusing. My plan was to have water, fairly deep water since it is the coast, but many wharves seem to be really high out of the water, with lots of pilings showing, high tide marks, etc. Mine will be mostly covered with water, suggesting the tide is in, because my wharf is only 8 scale feet above the waterline. I won't have a large expanse of water, however, just enough to plant the structure and have some ripples/waves coming in. There will be no boats docking.
Thanks for looking in!
Cheers,
Dave

Edited by - David Clark on 12/07/2017 12:30:29 PM

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  4:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some progress to show, finally. I took the paper mock ups and cut out some foam core. The two buildings look like one but they aren't. i make the right-hand one a little larger - stretched it out about an inch as I thought it looked too skinny. I will also push the far left one closer to the tracks to make room water-side. There will be a ramp to get up to the loading dock and I will have to have stairs as well, I guess. The second floor extension may stick out a bit over the water, if I need the room. I was wondering how high I should make the loading dock...Right now it is 3 scale feet.

Below is a view looking down the "wharf track". I have the dock template cut out and raised up on some blocking to check out the view. I decided to put a small bridge going from the land to the wharf.

[

Here's another angle looking down the track.

..and a closer view of the two end buildings. I really need to figure out what they do or to whom the cater.

Here is the spot for aforementioned bridge

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Cheers,
Dave

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  10:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi David,
Set a flat or box car on a piece of track and measure the height from the base to floor of the car. That's the deck height size I would make the deck so it is fairly flush with the car to allow easy loading by the little people.
Looking forward to watching the structures develop.
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/28/2017 :  2:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made some progress over the weekend. Cut and stained piles for the wharf, cut and stained support beams, and tried my hand at some "frocks" behind the wharf. The "frocks" were a bit of a disappointment because the plaster is still somewhat soft. I am guessing that since the foam holds water, it is keeping the plaster from hardening. I will give it the day, today, to harden and try putting another layer over top. They still look like foam bits. I will have pictures tomorrow. My wife and I are taking off for the day for a movie and dinner with my dad.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/29/2017 :  5:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the start of my "frocks". This is at the lead-in to the wharf. It will be hidden, at this point, by a bridge and then by the wharf itself so it's a good place to experiment.

Here are the "frocks" with a coat of watered-down wall mud. I found that the foam stayed soft for a very long time and after drying for 24 hours was still not hard.

Here they are with a second coat of mud. Hopefully once it dries, It will be hard and paintable.

Any comments or suggestions are, of course, welcome.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/29/2017 :  5:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While the plastered "frocks" are curing, I decided to get going on the piles for the wharf.

I made this jig to hold the piles and beam while they dried. I scarified the 1/4" dowel with a rasp first and then cut them down to size to support the wharf. I then dunked them in a pot of IA mix for a few hours.
My next step is to get the rocks painted, and paint the water. I still need to mark the stones in the retaining wall and paint them as well. Once the bents have dried, I can glue them to the underside of the wharf and install that. My current plan is to apply a layer of gloss gel to make waves and then set the wharf in that to "glue" it down.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2017 :  6:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David, when we do Frocks we use premixed sanded tile grout. We donít water it down but we make it thinner so it can be brushed on. The sanded variety gives it more texture and when that dries in a day or so it's like concrete. Oh BTW we add a paint color to the mix so it's not white and that gives us a head start on finishing.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 12/29/2017 6:45:25 PM

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  12:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, thanks for checking in and the suggestion. When you say you "don't water it down but make it thinner" what do you mean? I have some dry sanded grout, do you think that would work as well?
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  12:47:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First an update on the retaining wall...
I used a bit of rock to make indentations and give texture to the styrofoam. Then I used a ballpoint pen to scribe the brick outlines. I use a ball point because the ball will roll along the foam instead of tearing it. Don't use too much pressure so the foam doesn't tear.

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: My On30 + On18 Modules  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000