Railroad Line Forums - The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: My On30 + On18 Modules
Page: of 24

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2017 :  7:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2017 :  7:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dig the circle with the engine.
ed

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  08:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, sent you a PM.

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  12:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed k

I dig the circle with the engine.
ed

That was my wife's choice as well.
Cheers,
Dave

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  4:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

You inspired me to come up with a herald for my own layout. Not that the little line needs it, but I figured I would give it a shot for fun.

Thanks,
Rob.

( PS: Sorry for hi-jacking your thread. )

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  5:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, that's awesome!
Cheers,
Dave

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  6:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, Nicely done.
ed

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  1:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a little time yesterday to do some terra-forming but couldn't upload pictures until today. I couldn't get access to the site for some reason.
Anyway here's what I got done. I made up some paper-mache past and used the blue shop towels to cover the cardboard webbing. I haven't been able to get down to my LHS to get plaster bandage and I wanted to get moving. It didn't turn out as hard as I hoped it would so perhaps I need to add a layer or two. I was also going to add a layer of sculptamold and maybe that will be enough rigidity.
For anyone interested, my paste recipes is simply equal amounts of flour and water - that's it. Dip the torn pieces of towel and lay over top of the webbing. My pieces were about 2" x 3" or so.
I quickly realized that I needed to protect my backdrop so I slid a piece of styrene between the mountain and the backdrop.

This is the little guy from the previous picture. He is from a sci-fi table top wargaming system that I painted. He is about 1/48 scale so I use him to gauge space sometimes.

This is the finished mountain but without the sculpta-mold. I will try that part today.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  3:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning I checked the hardness of my papier mache paste and blue shop towel combo and it seemed pretty rigid. A second layer would certainly add more rigidity but I opted to just add my layer of sculpta mold. I filled a 7 cup tupperware bowl with cellulose insulation fibre and added about 11 oz of plaster of paris powder. I shook it up in the container then took a bit out, added water until it was wet, but not swimming and layered it on by hand. It was pretty lumpy and I am thinking that next time I will try sifting it to get rid of the larger lumps of cellulose. The commercial Sculpta-mold is certainly finer.
Now to see how it hardens up.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  1:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a while but summer and 1:1 projects were predominant. I had sketched up an "artist's concept" of the wharf area (and I use that term very loosely) and I finally got some time to put together a mock up of the structures to go there. Don't mind the white piece along the backdrop - that was to protect the sky from the plaster mountain construction and (eventually) paint.
It's not a great picture but the white portion is the dock area (it will extend a bit to the left). The truck is a 1/43 scale vehicle for visualization purposes. There is room for it to drive by the front of the buildings and through the overpass at the end. The loading dock will be a freight transfer area from sea to rail. I haven't actually figured out the industries yet but I'm thinking the larger building will be something to do with fish processing - maybe a (small) cannery. The one on the right looks strange enough to be a chandler, the one on the left was going to be industrial but maybe a pub with hotel over top?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. My next step is to cut out the dock's shape, install the "ocean bed", land form the bank behind the dock, and paint! Very exciting!
Cheers,
Dave

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  5:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Dave. If I used flour and water the local wildlife would eat it!! (We have a lot of native cockroaches and geckos that live inside).

FWIW I don't think you need much actual water to represent a harbor. It takes up a lot of valuable real estate. In fact I have just pulled my two main wharves about 4 inches closer to the layout edge. I would rather have the space for more 'stuff' than bare water. Unless there is a favorite boat in your life!
Buildings along the water front can be used for anything. Any old building can become a store house for other businesses. Build it as something then repurpose it.

bruce

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  5:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, Thanks for that tidbit of info on re-purposing. I hadn't considered that. I won't have much actual water - no room for boats. The picture is misleading because the piece of black foamcore that the buildings are sitting on actual extends way over the bench edge.
Cheers,
Dave

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  6:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave if you think about the New England area and all those pokey little harbors most of them have no water when the tide is out. So the harbor floor could be modeled under the wharf with all the associated junk on the sea floor.

I've now started to model stuff right on the layout edge. Areas where you can almost poke your nose inside buildings. It's a challenge. But for those us with small layouts it's a good challenge.

bruce

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  7:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, Great progress, I need to stop in more for a look see.

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  8:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brucet

Dave if you think about the New England area and all those pokey little harbors most of them have no water when the tide is out. So the harbor floor could be modeled under the wharf with all the associated junk on the sea floor.

Bruce, I only have about 2" (8 scale feet) from bench top to wharf top. I don't think that's enough room to handle any kind of tide. Around BC, I think the tidal range is about 12'. I was thinking my water would be at close to high tide.
Larry, thanks for checking in. I hope to have more progress in the coming weeks.
Cheers,
Dave

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: My On30 + On18 Modules  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000