Railroad Line Forums - The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: My On30 + On18 Modules
Page: of 24

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  09:31:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful weathering on the tipple.

Love those Citroen "Gangster Cars", brings back memories of when I was in the Air Force stationed in France during the mid 60's.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/28/2017 09:33:49 AM

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  11:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank, for the kind words. That means a lot coming from you.
cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  12:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I spent some time last night playing with SketchUp to try to fit in a concept I had for my dock structures. As before, if you've been following along, I am trying to determine whether to put my rail behind or in front of the structures. I included a concept sketch and some Sketchup "plans". Any comments are most welcome.
At first I was afraid that I wouldn't have enough room for the buildings if I put the rail in front, although this would allow me to have more "going on" in front of the structures. That is, ships could unload cargo for "general distribution" by cross-loading from the dock over the open loading dock to trucks behind. It looks like I could stick my coal bin out front with a crane, etc Also it puts the railway front and centre.
Having the railway line behind gives a bit more more of a "peek-a-boo" feeling in that the cars would be visible through the open loading dock areas but you wouldn't see the track. That would make the buildings more prominent and the focus of the scene.
Anyway, take a look. I will still need to build some 3D mockups at some point (I'm not there yet).

In the two plans above, the brown craft paper is the area of the module I am working on (right side) and I have delineated the module, the dock area and at the top of the paper is where the land is and the mainline of the railway.

In these last two, the areas marked out by the module are the same as the previous.
Cheers,
Dave

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  3:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David,
Love the sketch. The buildings have a lot of design variation and character. Looking forward to the build.
Dave

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  4:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave you know I'm going to vote for having the buildings right up front. Much more creative options. BUT. BIG BUT. But I have a single track right behind my water front buildings. It's PITA to clean the tracks and maintain anything.

For me it's more about building than running trains. So it's a compromise I tolerate.

Most of my buildings are not fixed down. So it is possible to move them, clean the track, curse a bit and put the buildings back again.

That shay, sitting on the wharf at the far right, runs along behind the buildings and between the trees, on the left. That track is the issue for me.

bruce

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  5:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I really like your drawing style and the fact that you plan things in such detail.

My inclination is to put track in front of buildings to show off the rolling stock. Depends on what you've done with nearby scenes; you want variation.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  5:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I love your layout and, like you, I am not an operator. Thanks for bringing up the point of access behind the buildings though.
Mike, thanks for the compliment and I wish I could say I'm a great planner but the drawing was actually born out of boredom during breaks at work. I am not good at conceptualizing so I needed to see what the buildings might look like. Now it gives me something to shoot for.
I don't have anything else 'scenicked" yet so I have nothing to match and nothing to vary from! There will be the mine behind and to the left of it all, though.
I'm going to let it percolate a while more but I think I'm leaning towards having the buildings front and centre.
Thanks for your input!
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  6:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just realized I never actually posted a layout design. Here is a sketch that Rob Chant did up for me a while back.
Cheers,
Dave

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  6:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce, beautiful layout, love the wharf scenes. PS: I saved he picture.

Dave, thatís a great little track plan that Rob made for you. Whatís the L x W? as you probably know Iím a fanatic about waterfront layouts

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/28/2017 6:44:38 PM

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  7:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, It's 13' long by 30" deep. Yes, I was looking over your posts - inspiring!
Cheers,
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  7:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Now that I see the overall plan, having the track in back makes sense to me. I'd probably construct the block of buildings and then play around with track configuration before making a final decision.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  8:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, you have confirmed my thoughts as well. Thanks,
Dave

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  10:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love that wonderful sketch.

Here's how I think about it...
Are you building for scenic possibilities? Or operations?
No matter how scenic you would like to make it, I'd say that operations would override the placement. Would you really want someone uncoupling over some nicely detailed buildings? Even I'm that clumsy. Otherwise go for it.

Edited by - RichBeau on 08/29/2017 07:26:06 AM

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/29/2017 :  12:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, you are correct and I hadn't really thought about that aspect but the chance of there ever being someone over "operating" on my RR is about a million-to-one. The train might get underway to show off to friends and family but I think that would be the extent of operating. I am still toying with using rare earth magnets for uncouplers and maybe that's how I will go.
Thank you,
Dave

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2017 :  12:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,
I've built a similar track layout on my rwy. and do operate a lot.
My layout sits at 52" height and is 30" deep. My operators have little trouble uncoupling over "lower height" structures using bamboo "swissel? sticks".
Your layout designs offers plenty of "play time" operation along with a ton of artistic scenery potential.
Looking forward to seeing more.
sully

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: My On30 + On18 Modules  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000