Railroad Line Forums - The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Geezers lounge - Volume 23 Topic Next Topic: Black Bear Logging II
Page: of 20

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/22/2017 :  4:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Thanks for the input. The foam core wall thickness was going to be an issue, possibly camouflaged by making the interior look like it had more room and using the doors and grimey windows to hide the thick walls. I am hoping that a post-and-beam wall will be sufficiently rigid to keep any warping from happening. I imagine any warping will be longitudinally (ie along the battens) which will be easy to mitigate.
Cheers,
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2017 :  8:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

The board and batten sheetwood I have used is milled such that the battens are along the grain. It warps across the grain i.e. Transverse to the battens.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/24/2017 :  12:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered some wood from Fast Tracks (Mt Albert). We'll see what comes of it. I found a 1/48 scale WWII German VW staff car plastic kit. That will end up being someone's ride once I turn it into a civilian pattern vehicle.
1:1 projects kept me busy today but hopefully I will find some time tomorrow evening to get something done.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  11:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a chance to do a little work on the RR. I got the two modules re-attached and hooked up. The LED light strands overhead worked fine. Most of the track ran well but there seems to be some spots where the loco stalls. I ran a Bright Boy over the rails but there may be some spots that need re-soldering.
You can see what the whole layout looks like with the backdrop. I noticed that one side of the backdrop was a little hazier than the right side. Hopefully when I get some larger trees up, I can mask it. I like how the join in the backdrops it virtually invisible. The tab and pocket I made at the back worked perfectly.

Here's an idea of what the mine will look like. I am planning on adding a shed over top of the tipple and got some wood for it. I will post pictures of it later. The masonite hill cutout will be the backing for a bit of a rocky hill to fill in the corner.

The new wood takes the IA stain differently. I didn't expect that since it is all basswood. Perhaps when I add some powders I can minimize the difference.

Any comments are welcome.
Cheers,
Dave

Edited by - David Clark on 08/06/2017 11:57:50 PM

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/07/2017 :  12:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Dave. I especially like the overall scene since that backdrop looks so good.

Free Layout Design Help / Some Design Ideas (All Scales)

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/07/2017 :  7:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  11:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's how I coloured my new wood siding for the shed over the tipple. I started with a dip in IA stain, which was black ink and alcohol but when that came out very pale I added some chalks from my Doc O'Brian's kit. I had bought these for my military vehicle weathering but they have a new use now. I added some brown, grey, and a bit of yellow for change.

I found some rigging thread I had bought decades ago for a model of the Cutty Sark I was building (never throw anything out!) I painted it a gun metal colour (Oily Steel from Vallejo) then dusted it with some brown and rusty brown.

I started siding the shed over the tipple and I think the colours will be OK.

Comments/suggestions always welcome.

Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  11:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here's an issue I have with new loco I bought. It came new in the box, although I got it off eBay. Everything appears to be intact. The loco doesn't seem to work and I am guessing the tender needs to be attached to the loco. There is no instructions on how to do this other than the sticker on the bottom of the engine which reads, "remove firebox cover.." I don't know how to do this and I don't want to be pulling out random screws until it falls apart. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,
Dave

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  3:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To start off with, I'm assuming that this is an On30, 4-4-0 that you are talking about. The tender should have two connectors like the picture shown that connects to the back of the Loco. Push on the drawbar at the end of the ash pan with your thumb and push the ash pan out. The female connectors are in there. Second picture. As Hminky states you should be able to slide your cover you show to the rear to get to the plugs inside Loco.
Member Hminky has some more information here; http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/of_4-4-0/

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  3:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, Thanks so much. I didn't want to start pulling and pushing without knowing what was supposed to give. I will try this when I get home. You are correct it is On30.
Cheers,
Dave

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  5:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, the RR is really shaping up nicely.

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  3:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Larry!
I got the tender attached to the engine. It was as easy as Louis indicated (everything is easy, once you know how!). I made a little progress on the scenery - got the hill framed in. I also got the tipple shed sided. I think I'm ready to glue down the buildings to a base and stick it in. I will see about getting some pictures posted.
Cheers,
Dave

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2017 :  10:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the new photos! The modules look great!
Dave

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  11:09:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the mine with a little bit more progress. It now has a roof, vent/chimney, doors, and a "keep out" sign. I think I will put the whole thing on sleepers to raise it off the ground and allow me to scenic underneath it and make it look more "settled". It will also raise it a bit more for taller loads.
I still have to put the bracing in and fasten the lift line. Right now the piece the mine sits on can be lifted out so I can work on it.
Any comments welcome.
Cheers,
Dave

Edited by - David Clark on 08/19/2017 11:12:59 AM

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  11:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My LHS was having a 25% off sale yesterday and so I picked up these two vehicles for the layout. A french WWII staff car that can pose as some "old-fashioned" car, and a bulldozer that can find a home somewhere. There was the US staff car but it was twice the price and I am assuming it is because it had a die-cast chassis. I didn't get it.

Cheers,
Dave

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: Geezers lounge - Volume 23 Topic Next Topic: Black Bear Logging II  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000