Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Csarnick ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Page: of 49

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2016 :  6:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the main thread for the first Challenge of 2017 - the Pick One - Build One Challenge.

Participants have from January 1 through Saturday, April 15 to work on their chosen project.

There are four (4) categories from which to choose your project(s).

1) Shelf-liberating (as opposed to self-liberating): Grab a kit off the shelf and build it – the older the kit and the longer it has been on the shelf, the better!

2) From Sketch to Scratch: This one is for scratch builders. Start with a sketch or drawing and construct the final model.

3) Hit the Road: Grab a vehicle kit off the shelf (Jordan, Sylvan, Alloy Forms, Wheel Works, Williams Bros., etc.) and get it ready to hit the road.

4) Square Footer: Incorporate at least one model into a 1 Sq. Ft. diorama/scene

I hope that we get our usual large rate of participation in this winter challenge.

You can post all of your progress photos and comments right in this thread. If you do start a separate 'build thread' for your project, please post frequent updates in this thread also.

Once done, please post a few "final pictures" in the thread dedicated to that purpose.

Here is the link to that thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48420

Let the Challenge begin!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  08:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will probably do more than one build during the Challenge, but I will start with a small one in the category: Hit the Road.

My father's first car was a 1937 Willy's Coupe and his second car was a 1939 Willy's Coupe. In fact, here is a picture of that second car.

Knowing this fondness for that era Willy's, I grabbed this Sylvan kit of the 1941 Coupe as soon as I saw it.

This will be my first Challenge project.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  11:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm choosing the "HIT THE ROAD" with a twist. I'm hitting the road on the tracks.
For most of you that remember the “Home brewed ‘PLYMOUTH’ Railcar Critter kit by Backwoods Miniatures” (Picture #1) I always wanted to try and build a similar one in HO scale for the L&R Railroad. I’m starting out with two kits of a 1/72 scale 1942 Army staff car from ACE models, and a Bachmann HO scale Trolley/Cable car for my project. (second and third pictures).
Now I’m using the term loosely “build my own” because I haven’t tried matching up the parts to even see if it is even possible yet. The first for me, I usually have all my ducks in a row. So I will attempt to build a Railcar Critter of my own.
They say Great Minds think alike. Well I'm guessing Bruce and I have cars on our minds.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  11:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks like an interesting project, Louis!

Bruce

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  11:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off to a start with a Bates Tractor kit...

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  12:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The upper walls of the Jefferson station kit are milled clapboard, while the lower wainscotting is board-on-board over cardstock. The outline printing on the cardstock isn't the best, but by matching it up with the upper walls I was able to make adjustments where necessary.

The right window of the north-east wall was off by the most, as shown in this closeup:

The window and door castings have also been cleaned up and given a spray coat of primer.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  1:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll also be correcting a few errors in the kit. This picture from the instructions shows the filled-in freight door on the south-west wall:

Note that the kit supplies a standard 4-panel door which is shorter than the freight door (with some visible clapboard between its top and the bottom of the transom window).

However, this photo from the 1910s shows that the inset door was the same height as the freight door:

Furthermore, this modern picture reveals that it's not a standard 4-panel door, but is rather the original freight door:

Cheers,
Jeff.

Mr Skratch
New Hire

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  1:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Skratch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am converting the FOS HO scale Tower One into a waterfront bait shop. This kit has sat on the shelf for two years and it's time to do something with it!

1) separated the parts from the sheets...and saved as much of the excess siding to use for testing weathering.
2) applied a vinegar weathering mixture to darken and grey up the clapboard as a base.
3) applied white acrylic paint with drybrushing - I want the used but not necessarily abused look for this build - keep in mind I have never done this before, so all techniques are based on reading what others have done.
4) tried out applying one of the signs - cut from sheet - sanded back a bit - applied 1:1 glue/water mix to back and then placed on siding - set in place by simply holding with tweasers. I then sanded the text a bit so it is weathered as well.

I am currently trying to decided what type of roof to put on this...I don't particularly care for the asphalt style included in the kit and it's probably not really appropriate for a waterfront. Maybe a flat seam metal roof or shingles?

I am working on the pier today and finalizing the footprint.

*Never let your current abilities limit your vision - Mr Skratch*
Jason D. Reece, AIA - Overland Park, KS.

Edited by - Mr Skratch on 01/01/2017 1:48:57 PM

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  2:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Well - I'm indulging myself in a sketch to scratch for this challenge. For this project I've decided to attempt a scratch-build with a few alterations of Bar Mills Graves Elevators. I love the design of this kit and spent some time with a calculator when it came out working out just how much it would cost to get it to New Zealand (it worked out at around $650NZ). Those of you who saw me leave Scranton in 2015 will know exactly how many models I took back home with me! The pile when held with straight arms went above my eye level! And so, as much as I would have loved it, I couldn't afford this kit. I must add there were a few Bar Mills kits in that pile.

I started with a few pictures of the kit and a few doodles. This is a kit that looks great on all sides, and as appealing as that is, on my layout that usually means a whole heap of work that will never be seen. My favourite sides were the rail side, the side with the elevator shaft and the fire escape, and the angled wall with the wooden additions between these two. I also obviously needed the front entrance way, so I left the other side wall intact back to the second elevator shaft. At this point I cut the remainder of the structure off with a 45 degree wall going back to the rail serve wall where it meets at 90 degrees. I also kept in the 3-4 story break in the roof line, although mine is a triangle. I had to reduce the length of the rail serve side, curtailing the small office and covered deck.

Plan of my scratch-build showing measurements in mm. The dotted line shows where I have ommited part of the original structure.

And here is a sketch of the changed side of the structure.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  3:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am building a late 19th Century meat packing plant:

My initial sketches:

I used Gimp to adjust perspective for getting measurements for my sketch. (See Bill Gill, I was paying attention when I saw your clinic last fall.) I also have additional views to work from.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  3:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great prototype building, Mike!

Cheers,
Jeff.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  5:35:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good selection of projects so far. I've got a choice of 5 different vehicles to work on:

I've been wanting to start the Jordan bus for awhile now so I guess I can scratch both #1 and 3 off the list.

Wulf
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  6:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The vehicle part of the challenge:

1927 model t school bus.jpg

CEO, Lancre Valley Steam navigation Co.

Edited by - Wulf on 01/01/2017 8:55:29 PM

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  7:32:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greetings Gents!

Here are the basics of my 2017 challenge.

I have unfinished spots at the East and West ends of my layout. To the East is a lame brine derrick that is simply holding a spot for something better, and to the West is a plain, large and unfinished scratch building. My intention is to finish these areas off with a couple of scratch built structures (incorporating the white building), using some walls from a DPM kit.

First I'll look at the dimensions of the DPM kit to see if I can get two structures out of it, then make some sketches. Though I'll post the sketches and most of the progress pics here, you will find more images and info about my challenge here; http://www.engineerkyle.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

ek

PS Sorry about the flash photography, I RARELY use flash as it washes thing out, but in this case the pictures are simply informative.

Wulf
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  8:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made some drawings based on posted and a few other web images; I managed to use the floor and roof with some small add-on styrene pieces, but the four walls needed scratch building from 10 thou styrene.

Download Attachment: 023s.jpg

CEO, Lancre Valley Steam navigation Co.

Edited by - Wulf on 01/01/2017 8:54:20 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  11:21:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This HO scale Bachmann Trolley car is what we are starting out with, for this L&R Backwoods Railcar Critter project.
And, the good news is that after placing the motor mechanism, and the plastic car side together for a visual, they seem to be just fine as far as fitting into place without much cutting, if any at all. The motor appears to be able to set under the hood and in between the car sides. The Trolley frame will have to be shortened some, and the car sides will be cut to the finished length of the frame. The last picture shows places I may have to cut the car sides for a proper fitting length. If I can get away with cutting the sides at #1 it will be like the Railcar Critter from Backwoods Miniatures, otherwise if I have to extend the sides to cut #2, I’ll have a center window, that won’t look bad either.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Edited by - desertdrover on 01/14/2017 11:50:44 AM

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000