Railroad Line Forums - Topic abandoned?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 159 ]  [ Total: 160 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Dead Rail Forum
 Topic abandoned?
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Where Did All The Dead Railers Go? Topic Next Topic: Welcome- What are you using or thinking about
Page: of 3

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  12:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I give up!

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  3:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill--

http://www.deltang.co.uk

I do not know of anyone who uses it, but there was a forum discussion (not here and not sure what forum) that really liked it. I believe you have to put the throttle together.

This site explains the S-cab by Staton
Enjoy the day

TomO

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  08:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tloc

Thanks Bill--

http://www.deltang.co.uk

I do not know of anyone who uses it, but there was a forum discussion (not here and not sure what forum) that really liked it. I believe you have to put the throttle together.

This site explains the S-cab by Staton
Enjoy the day

TomO

I'm using the Deltang radio system. Have since the day Dave posted on Freerails. Had one of the first Receivers.

Three steamers with the early Deltang R/C.

Atheran crane using Deltang R/C.

A video of the crane in action using the Deltang radio system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Vdk7-vNd4

I see I started using the system 5 years a go. Dave has many new receivers. I know once I get a layout built I will be using Deltang R/C. the system will work with AC voltage, DC voltage and DCC voltage applied to the tracks. How is that possible? Simple. I use a rectifier before feeding the receiver the required voltage. All three steam engines have that circuit in front of the receiver. To go completely Dead Rail all I would need to do is add batteries.

I'm sure there will be many questions on how I did/do this system. Ask away. I'll try to answer them as best to my knowledge as I can.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Edited by - Bernd on 05/04/2017 08:17:23 AM

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  09:21:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool Bernd! I'll check this tonight. I'm off to work in a few.

Philip

Mountain Man
Section Hand

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  6:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the concept - just have to wait until it finally filters down to us N-scalers.

Mountain Man
Section Hand

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  7:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops! No EDIT function and my avatar seems to have left for distant horizons.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2018 :  9:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mountain Man, I see a ?bear footprint? as your avatar.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2018 :  07:30:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man

I like the concept - just have to wait until it finally filters down to us N-scalers.

Deltang's receivers are small enough to fit in N scale. Check out David's web site if you haven't already. There are several videos on the site that show some N scale trains using his receivers.

I also see your avatar. Edit function is at the top of your post once it's posted.

Bernd

DanT
New Hire

Posted - 06/05/2018 :  11:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to mention I'm close to having a BPRC model that will allow battery charging on-board (magnetic induction) without having to rely on track or wiring. This includes balance charging for two or more batteries. I've been operating for about five years using DelTang receivers alone or in combination with DC sound decoders. I usually post on another forum, but I wanted to mention here that IMO the method is superior and gaining momentum and worthy of continued development. I think Bernd knows what I am talking about.

Dan

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  07:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DanT

I think Bernd knows what I am talking about.

Dan

Hi Dan. Glad you joined up. I do know what you're talking about. I left that other forum due to a change in ownership and I wasn't very pleased with the out come.

Hope we can get a good dialog going here on BPRC. I have a project under way that has stalled out at the moment due to family commitments and many 1:1 projects.

Again glad you've come aboard. Hope we can make this topic come alive again.

Bernd

DanT
New Hire

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  1:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bernd. Although I still contribute, what bothered me most was terminating the DelTang discussion, not only once, but twice, due to a "computer glitch".

I've been slow to make progress for a year due to health reasons. I had 7 hrs of surgery 12 days ago, but all is good and recovery is coming along nicely.

So I'm trying to double my efforts on BPRC. Met a major supplier at the Springfield show who is willing to sell locomotives to me w/o electronics. He tried it, and liked it.

After 6 years of experimenting, building and operating, I'm still convinced this, or some form of wireless-dead rail operation is the future for model railroading. I look back to the days when we had telephone booths everywhere, vs the smart phones we use today. Amazing progress!

I'll get back and summarize where I'm at and what I'm using and any constructive comments anyone might have.

Dan

Edited by - DanT on 06/06/2018 1:23:29 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  1:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dan,

That's good news all around. Here's to a speedy recovery from you surgery.

Since the new guy took over the forum doesn't seem to be working right so I have ceased to post there. I was going to take over the forum and Herb let me try it for a while. It took to much of my time, plus not knowing that much on how to administer a forum I decided after nearly a year that I did not want to take over the forum.

I'm very interested in any new info you care to share. I'm going to have to make the trek to the Springfield show some time so we can meet and discuss this subject.

One thing I'm a bit concerned about is David's business. Since I believe it's a one man show I'm concerned about product availability in the future. It would be great if there was a way to manufacture them over here. Since he doesn't seem to sell from his website anymore I sort of backed off a bit. I have found one source over here but he only sells certain R/C boards and not the full compliment that David has on his website.

I also believe that R/C and battery power is the future in model railroading. I've also discovered a unique drive system using eddy current tech from a British forum. It took me a year to realize how it worked I've posted on this forum and MRH forum about it. Seems modelers aren't that interested. Come to think of it lot's of modelers don't seem interested if it isn't plug-n-play.

If you want to discuss something that's not for public consumption you can e-mail me at protolancer(at)kingstonemodelworks(dot)com.

Bernd

DanT
New Hire

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  2:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bernd,

This subject can be complicated. I know, I was there. I think the best way I can help others, and myself, is to break down any discussion into sub-topics like general arrangements and concepts, mechanical drives, motors, receivers and (sound) decoders, transmitters, batteries and charging, etc.

Otherwise, there's a tendency to go off-topic in a discussion after many posts, and difficulty in going back to a topic for re-reference. I've often abandoned further reading on other forums when faced with looking up something important that was mentioned a month or a year ago.

Maybe someday there will be a manual on the subject we could all read...including Standards and RP's for BPRC Operation!

Comments?

Dan

Edited by - DanT on 06/06/2018 2:52:38 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  07:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DanT

Hi Bernd,

This subject can be complicated. I know, I was there. I think the best way I can help others, and myself, is to break down any discussion into sub-topics like general arrangements and concepts, mechanical drives, motors, receivers and (sound) decoders, transmitters, batteries and charging, etc.

That's a good idea breaking the subject into sub-topics.

quote:
Otherwise, there's a tendency to go off-topic in a discussion after many posts, and difficulty in going back to a topic for re-reference. I've often abandoned further reading on other forums when faced with looking up something important that was mentioned a month or a year ago.

That seems to be the problem on many sites with subjects that get discussed over a period of time. Would a website or blog be the answer to lessen that problem?

quote:
Maybe someday there will be a manual on the subject we could all read...including Standards and RP's for BPRC Operation!

Sounds like an NMRA standards type idea.

Bernd

DanT
New Hire

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  11:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I reviewed many of the DEAD RAIL FORUM posts this morning and I'm having second thoughts. Seems many important subject areas have already been discussed and I have neither the time or desire to "beat a dead horse". I see many truths, some half-truths, and a few untruths, IMO of course. I mean this in a nice way.

So, how to be helpful to the confused, would-be dead rail enthusiast is the question. Maybe the answer is to address the issues as they come up, and respond accordingly. Hopefully they will appear under the proper topic, creating new topics only when needed. New and better ways of doing things keep expanding the quagmire of dead rail information. Tough staying ahead in this game.

Dan

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Where Did All The Dead Railers Go? Topic Next Topic: Welcome- What are you using or thinking about  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000