Railroad Line Forums - Centralia/Intermountain HO NE-5 caboose markers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 161 ]  [ Total: 161 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Centralia/Intermountain HO NE-5 caboose markers
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tichy USRA signle sheathed Boxcar Decals Topic Next Topic: In a pickle....again  

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2016 :  5:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just finished adding Tomar LED Adlake marker lamps to a B&M NE-5 caboose sold RTR by Centralia Car Shops (with Intermountain as a business partner). I choose Car Shops because the issues were much more mechanical than electronic. Details in the next post, for editing.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2016 :  6:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My first problem was getting the shell off the chassis and interior moldings. Prying and poking eventually broke the glue joints: a small dab of what was probably ACC more or less under the door at each end.

Alas, I broke a couple of the vertical handrails on the end platforms. I don't see an easy way to separate the end platform castings before working on the body, so your best bet is probably to pop the handrails out of their holes in the roof and pop the top of the ladders loose from the roofwalk. Then maybe masking tape to hold them together and keep them from hanging up on the end of the roof as you work?

At any rate, the railings are styrene, so they can be glued. I'll have to handle my car very carefully from now on, lest I have to fabricate new railings from wire.

I needed a hole by each truck center for power wires. The largest drill that will fit between the center sill members is 9/32", but I drilled a larger hole in the steel weight to keep its edges clear of the wires. You can see a center punch mark in the steel just below the truck screw.

Tomar's mounting spigots require the lamps to be set on the flat side of the car, rather than offset from the corner like many prototypes. I found a #42 drill made a good press fit, which I backed up with ACC.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2016 :  6:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I added pickup wipers to the trucks, I forgot to take a picture, sorry. First I marked each uninsulated wheel with red paint. My wipers are Tichy's .010 phosphor bronze wire, bent over the top of the center beam and hooked under each axle. Before installing the wipers, I soldered #30 stranded wire off-center on each, so the joint would be beside the hole in the floor.

I decided to use the space under the cupola seats to organize the wiring a bit:

I drilled holes in the bunk sides to route the wires. They can't be seen through the windows.

Tomar instructs us to wire up the supplied bridge rectifier according to its labeling, but some 'Big Secret' reflex at the factory had erased it. Shortly after I figured out it could be read with magnification at a low angle, one of the pins broke off. So I used a really tiny surface mount rectifier. Luckily I got it into the void without shorts or broken connections.

I also used a 2-pin connector set from Micro-Mark, so I could separate the body from the chassis without soldering.

Even with Tomar's 2.2K ohm resistors, the result is pretty bright, on the lines of "Remember the time Joey put gasoline in the markers?" For my next caboose installation, I'll experiment with larger values before closing it all up.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/26/2016 :  7:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot,of,work,but it sure looks nice. Are those the LED lit markers?

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2016 :  10:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, Tomar's 'H-807-L R-G-G Lighted Adlake Markers LED Lighting'.

Red P
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  06:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
They look great. Nice touch.
P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eightnotch/

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  07:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The working marker lights really add a lot to the caboose. Thanks for showing us how you did it, James.

Bruce

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  10:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the result was well worth the breakage. After looking at yours I may do a caboose or two myself.

Frank

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  12:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done James! That does look sharp!

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  12:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Red, Bruce, Frank & Mark. My Tour de Chooch visitors liked the markers too.

During today's punch-list cleanup, I took a moment to photograph the qick/dirty pickup wiper installation described above:

For DC users, the marker LEDs light up on leakage current from my old AristoCraft Train Engineer wireless throttle. So there's a chance you'll get 'constant lighting' with no additional work.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  4:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those marker lights dure add a lot to the caboose. In the past I've added dummies, but from now on they will be working lights.

Are your pickup wires rubbing on the axles?

George

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  5:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, they rub and make the caboose significantly less free-rolling. But I cleaned the axles with a Bright Boy and contact is very reliable. If I see the phosphor bronze starting to wear away, I will re-configure them for less friction. This buggy normally travels about 110' per op session, so it will be a while.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  7:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good to me, James! Thanks for the SABS-- I have several buggies that need markers. Like most of them....

Lissen, don't go dissin' Joey, dough. He's a good kid 'n' he wuz tryin,' knowwhumsayin?' He gonna do OK he learns some stuff.... Good kid, Joey....

Pete
in Michigan

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 11/28/2016 7:57:20 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2016 :  7:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

This is inspirational.... Just ordered several sets for "wintah projecks."

Many thanks.

Pete
in Michigan

Previous Topic: Tichy USRA signle sheathed Boxcar Decals Topic Next Topic: In a pickle....again  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000