Railroad Line Forums - Broke Back Mining & Logging Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 61 ]  [ Total: 64 ]  [ Newest Member: Fred of Medford ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Broke Back Mining & Logging Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry Topic Next Topic: The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30
Page: of 18

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  7:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the link to posting photos.

[quote]Originally posted by Philip

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15110

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  3:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

This is the link to posting photos.

[quote]Originally posted by Philip

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15110

Thanks

On30 Dave
seen on G+, YOUTUBE and FB

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2016 :  5:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Track work is in on lower level, frogs wired, now to run bus line and attach feeders, still have to put 3 tidings in and On18 high line but were a lot further than expected

On30 Dave

Edited by - lemkerailroad1 on 11/24/2016 5:20:57 PM

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2016 :  7:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
question for the group, as I am in need of help.......

at the bottom right corner of the pic above in the last post, right where my soldering iron sits, I need a 90' diamond, is there anyone on the forums that does stuff like this of is there a manufacturer, I would like to stay with code 83, and the micro engineering track style if all possible

also looking for info on a small turntable, something small but big enough for a heisler or a shay, ebay is just to costly to convert an N scale over, and not much available in On30 listed

On30 Dave

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2016 :  8:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your welcome. Glad your got the photos! Looks like you have a big project.

The 90 cross your wanting I'm not certain.

I used a Heljan N scale turntable for my old layout. I used an old VCR for the pivot. In hindsight a cake pan may have worked. Depends what you want

It may be seen here, last photo. It was a non powered Armstrong.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16867

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  11:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

Your welcome. Glad your got the photos! Looks like you have a big project.

The 90 cross your wanting I'm not certain.

I used a Heljan N scale turntable for my old layout. I used an old VCR for the pivot. In hindsight a cake pan may have worked. Depends what you want

It may be seen here, last photo. It was a non powered Armstrong.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16867

thanks

well i picked up an atlas code 83 90 degree diamond and installed it in the track work yesterday, also cut out the river bed for the side of the layout next to my helix entrance, no pics of this yet, will snap a few later today

small turntables are hard to find at a reasonable price tag, no one has the old yellow box n scale unit, and a lot of the gallows I like are over in the uk area across the pond, which will take a little bit to get to me, now I need to make a choice on the gallows turntable or to scrap the idea as I need to get moving on with the track work and wiring?????????????

On30 Dave

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  3:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
if there is a moderator around, is it ok to link to a youtube or google+ account on here, its my link to my layout and I just shot a video and am uploading it right now to them sites

On30 Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  3:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not a moderator, more of an immoderator, but if you mean posting links to YouTube videos like at the bottom of this page:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43466&whichpage=14

then it's been done before and seems to be ok.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  3:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
so I finally got to run a heistler on the layout today, bus line is back in on the lower level, I love the way it runs and sounds.......

but.......I purchased a couple of 0-4-2 porters from train world, I know, I got what I paid for.......
but these little guys don't run to good, sloppy sitting on the track, for those of you who have purchased these did you have to adjust wheel to tighten them up or were they fine right out of the box?????

are these locos like the HO stuff, where all you do is spread the wheels, and if so what tools do you use and is there an easier way to do this

On30 Dave

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  4:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
heres a link to my youtube video I just put up of the new layout that is being built

https://youtu.be/x1_6Yar0zng

please comment, good or bad

On30 Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  6:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I enjoyed watching your video, with commentary. I assume the current track is more at the level where your granddaughter can see it.

You have a lot of bridges to build, but they always provide interest. I thought I was the only one brave enough to run equipment over track with virtually no means of support but I see I was wrong.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  11:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Dave,

I enjoyed watching your video, with commentary. I assume the current track is more at the level where your granddaughter can see it.

You have a lot of bridges to build, but they always provide interest. I thought I was the only one brave enough to run equipment over track with virtually no means of support but I see I was wrong.

Mike

thanks mike

this is actually the lower level of the layout, modeled steel mill operations until my eyes started to give me fits again, it is housed in a 8x8 room, so I need to take advantage of all the space I can for the railroad.......maybe later down the road I may expand into the other bedroom next to this room.......but the wife is still here so I cant.....lol

yes their are 7 bridges to be built, today I am going to be cutting place holders for the track until the bridges can get built

On30 Dave

lemkerailroad1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  11:03:11 AM  Show Profile  Send lemkerailroad1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking for ideas on the easiest way to make my high line, which will be On18, automatically reverse directions as this is a point to point line......this will probably be dc as I don't think I need to spend the money for a chip as I can use it for something else

anyone have experience with auto reverse with a timer that is adjustable and what to do or better yet what not to do...........

On30 Dave

Edited by - lemkerailroad1 on 11/28/2016 11:09:23 AM

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  11:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My old layout had a dc reversing unit and it was very disappointing in terms of operation. It was a very herky jerky point to point and looked fakey. I forgot what the components were but it was very childish looking.

Your youtube video is great!

Philip

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2016 :  11:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

There are a couple of approaches. One uses optical detectors at each end and a polarity reversing unit like Circuitron makes. The other has a gap in one rail at each end spanned with a diode; the track is powered through a unit that uses a timer for reversing. I don't know who manufactures other than the British firm Gaugemaster but circuit diagrams are available on the web if you wanted to build your own.
Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 05/25/2020 6:25:51 PM

Page: of 18 Previous Topic: Devils Mountain Quarry Topic Next Topic: The Blue Ridge Stemwinder in On30  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000