Railroad Line Forums - Making Metal Look Like Wood
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Making Metal Look Like Wood
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rusty Stumps Sandy & Pyne  Cabinetmakers Build Topic Next Topic: Moonshine Still  

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  1:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks,

A friend is going to build some overhead catenary (think: Milwaukee Road), and he has assembled several pole assemblies. He has used welding rod for the poles, and brass for the arms and brackets.

He posed a question to me: "How do I make the metal poles look like wood?" That has me stumped. I can make styrene look like wood, but not sure how I'd go about making metal look like wood.

I suggested roughing up the poles by sanding it (vertically) with some very coarse sand paper, i.e. 50 grit, then priming with a very thin primer, i.e. Vallejo, then staining with a thin brown stain.

However, I'm wondering if there are any other methods for achieving this result? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Al Carter

rda
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  1:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al:

For myself I'd go with all brass, like the long OPP Sydham line, and distress the wooden bits with anything which cuts half-hard brass, paint as usual.

RDA

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  1:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something that small should be easy to make looking like wood.
Most metal can be primed first; then use dark brown for indentations; next a honey color; then a medium brown; final step - light brown as a highlighter. Lay out the pieces and just hit with spray cans, or an air brush if he owns one. When painted, just weather to color choice.
What you suggested Al is about the same method, and the only choices he has.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  3:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to go with Louis on this one.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  9:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, I don't see any other method. If so I am interested in seeing what it is'..

ted :<)

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  06:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can add grain to metal just like any other material and paint it the same, however that steel welding rod will be harder and take more effort to add grain than brass would. you could try priming them with surfacing auto primer, they make it in a light gray color. Surfacing primer goes on a little thicker than regular primer because it is made to fill low spots in metal. you could spray some of that surfacing primer on and then drag your saw across it to add groves in it just like styrene.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  10:41:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I will share these with my friend, and share pictures when the poles get completed.

Al Carter

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  11:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al...
Just a short thought, but by wrapping the welding rod with a single layer or so of florest tape, it may be possible to introduce the texture to represent wood when the pole is painted.

To eliminate the 'wrap' seams, one would need to roll the welding rod onto a long piece of floral tape lengthwise. I'd probably trim the tape to width with a wavy cut to avoid a straight line seam down the length of the pole.

-- KP --

Edited by - hon3_rr on 11/17/2016 11:36:38 AM

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2016 :  10:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris,

That is an interesting idea - I'll pass it along to my friend; thanks!

I used some (green) floral tape (that I've had for many years) to represent rolled roofing the other day. My tape was not adhesive backed, so I had to use my own gluing method (I chose rubber cement, but I could have used transfer tape, I guess). Point is, unless there is an adhesive backed floral tape, I would guess that it would have to be glued onto the welding rod poles, which could get a little messy.

Thanks,

Al Carter

artvdw
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  09:44:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al,

I am not sure about how to add grain, but for color, I use a suggestion from George Sellios and that is to spray the part with Rustoleum Kahki, and after it dries, give it a wash of A/I. I have had good luck with this.

Art VanDeWater
River Falls, Wisconsin

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  2:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay in response.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31999&whichpage=19

The steam pipe is wrapped for insulation. The prototype wrap had a light texture to it, and this was a problem to overcome to have both the wrap lines and ‘texture’ as well as being able to create mock flanges with the material. After trying paper, masking tape, roofing materials, tissue paper and Kleenex, I identified a pair of materials which allow for easy creation of pipe joint flanges on the tubing and at the same time have the same texture as the rest of the pipe.

TOOLS AND TECHNIQUE: Steam Pipe Wrap
1. Bend brass tube to fit.

2. Clean brass tube with rubbing alcohol. (ETOH)

3. Apply 3M Double Side Transfer Tape (#465) to brass or styrene tube or wire.

4. Apply floral wrap (Panacea Floral Stem Wrap Tape, #60037-M, white ˝ inch wide – obtained at Michael’s) keeping the floral wrap tight.
a) After applied, roll tube a lot between fingers to set wrap.

5.Cut Tarpaper stock to flange width (I used 3/64th inch wide flanges) and wrap strip of paper around the tube twice, overlapping the windings to create a flange.
a) Tarpaper stock used is Rusty Stumps Scale Models Tarpaper Roofing, #D5030, HO scale Black.
b) Use white glue to wrap the paper.(I coated the entire length of the paper being wound around the pipe with glue.)

6. Paint as appropriate. I used Vallejo Paints in the following mix:
a) 4 drops #153 Pale Grey-blue (Model Color series)
b) 1 drop #0919 Aged Pewter (Reaper series)
c) 2 drops wet water. ( 1:10 to 1:20, water:Flow-Aid)

7. Weather lightly with light dusting of pastel chalks, Rotten Stone, finely sifted dirt (sift through nylon hose) and light A-I wash. Possible addition of rust color(s) in spots may suggest rusting of underlying pipe.

AL,
In your application the floral tape will probably provide enough tackyness to attach to the welding rod. If not, suggest that you use a double sided tape like the 3-M stuff we use for roofing. You will probably find that you'll only need to wrap/roll the floral tape and paint/weather to finish.

-- KP --

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2016 :  10:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kris,

I'll pass this info on to my friend, and file it away for future use for myself - sounds like a good technique!

Al Carter

Previous Topic: Rusty Stumps Sandy & Pyne  Cabinetmakers Build Topic Next Topic: Moonshine Still  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000