Railroad Line Forums - The Gallery:Noví16 "Show Us Your Weathering, v2.5"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 79 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 The Gallery:Noví16 "Show Us Your Weathering, v2.5"
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Chasing Durango & Silverton #480 Topic Next Topic: Good exposure on these...
Page: of 9

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  09:21:31 AM  Show Profile
The first (and last) time we had a thread with this title was in January of 2011, so you would think this should be Version 2.0. However, in July 2013 we had a Gallery Theme on weathering with a different title, hence the decision to call this Version 2.5.

We spend considerable time weathering our models. In fact, there are many threads on this Forum devoted to the subject. So, it is most fitting for us to share photos of some of our favorite examples of weathering on either structures or rolling stock. If you have any prototype pictures that show great examples of Mother Nature's weathering, feel free to post those, too.

I once however.again caution everyone to keep copyright issues in mind. If you didn't take the picture, it isn't yours to post. Links to photos on the web, however, are allowed.

In consideration for those on dial-up, please keep your photos to 80KB or smaller.

Thinking Ahead: In January I will open a Photo Gallery devoted to 'night shots'. Since these take some staging and experimentation, I'm giving all members some time to try their hand at it. Give it a try. I think you will have some fun. Be ready to share your results with the rest of the crew to help kick off the new year!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  09:33:50 AM  Show Profile
One of my weathered hoppers. All weathering on the hopper itself was done with a pastel pencil. The wheels and trucks were weathered with a thin wash of rust colored water based paint.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  10:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
That looks terrific, Bruce. What pastel pencil did you use?

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  4:00:09 PM  Show Profile
This was done with baking soda, acrylic paints and I/A washes.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  6:15:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

That looks terrific, Bruce. What pastel pencil did you use?

Russ,

It is the Contť Pastel Pencil that on their color chart is called No. 1 and described as Bistre.

I rub some on the ribs, rivet joints, top edge, etc. and then smooth around with an eye shadow applicator (sponge).

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  7:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage
Terrell I like it.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  7:16:00 PM  Show Profile
Terrell, I agree with Frank-nice work.

May I ask how the baking soda is used?

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  7:41:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Frank and Carl. The baking soda is used to give the rust that flaky, crusted look. I painted on the rust colored paint, sprinkled the baking soda over the wet paint. Then wet it down and went over it with a wash of the same color paint. Then maybe a little I/A after it dried or sometimes a different rust color.

But.... "warning".... after several months I noticed the white from the baking soda was bleeding back through. So I recently had to go back over several places and re-rust them. Don't know why it does that, but I may have to still touch up a few places. When I get around to it.

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  9:31:44 PM  Show Profile

Wood was stained with RIT dye in alcohol. Rust was done by dissolving steel wool in bleach, and adding a drop of white glue. Everything but trucks and couplers is "scratch".

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  10:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage

Hi all,

Here is a recent example of mine in HO scale. I use auto primer, dull-cote, chalk and black wash.

ek

Red P
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  06:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message

This was done a while ago, but I thought it would fit.

P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eightnotch/

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  08:45:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for helping get this month's Gallery up and running, guys.

Here is some crusty rust on a wheelset destined for a discard heap near the backshop. (Brush dipped in alcohol and then into weathering powder.)

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  12:28:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Thanks for helping get this month's Gallery up and running, guys.

Here is some crusty rust on a wheelset destined for a discard heap near the backshop. (Brush dipped in alcohol and then into weathering powder.)

Nice looking wheel Bruce.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  2:27:10 PM  Show Profile
Bruce, that wheelset look wheely rusty.

Greg Shinnie

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  4:18:47 PM  Show Profile
Same technique as the Porter above, except this was done first, as an experiment.

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  6:02:09 PM  Show Profile
Tops of sides distressed, interior distressed and re-painted, lettering streaked, and general weathering applied with oil washes and Bragdon powders:

Cheers,
Jeff.

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Chasing Durango & Silverton #480 Topic Next Topic: Good exposure on these...  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000