Railroad Line Forums - FSM Skinner's Row Photo & Info Posted!!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 67 ]  [ Total: 73 ]  [ Newest Member: detective35 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 FSM Skinner's Row Photo & Info Posted!!
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Finescale Urban Modeling Topic Next Topic: Cedar Shingles Method by Brian
Page: of 2

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  03:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The following post was over in the FSM Forum. It was intitled “Skinners Row - On Line at Trains.com”.

“Well, the secret is out !

Model Railroader Product News for the week of September 10th, has
posted a photo of Skinners row on their web site along with the
following notation:

Fine Scale Miniatures has released the sixth kit in its Jewel Series:
Skinner's Row. The kit builds into an 11 x 22 inch diorama, and only
630 kits will be produced. Skinner's Row is $280 plus $12 shipping
(U.S.) or $17 (Canadian). Massachusetts residents add 5 percent sales
tax. (Money orders, bank check, or personal check). Fine Scale
Miniatures, 49 Main St., Peabody, MA 01960.

Looks absolutely fantastic. Go peek guys !

And now can we have some decent piccies please ?

Regards,
Phil”

The below pictue is posted at TRAINS.COM!! It does look good!

The link is: http://www.trains.com/home.asp

Here is the photo of Skinner’s Row!

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 09/17/2003 03:26:46 AM

anbhurst

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  03:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,

Besides the tavern and the meat distributors, what are the other two establishments? The scene sure has a lot of color and personality. Looks like something you would find out in a rural town or its surrounding area.

Allen

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!

Edited by - anbhurst on 09/17/2003 12:31:42 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  04:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen,

Here is a copy of an earlier post that may answer your questions. It is found under the topic “New FSM kit preview” in the Finescale Modeling section of this Forum.

The link to that topic thread is: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4610

"The "Row" is just that, a row of small and medium sized buildings, three long with 2 deep in the last space for a total of four individual and separate buildings plus a small shed. There is a front street with a side street on one edge. There is an alley between two of the buildings on one end, and a tiny parking lot on the other. It is as if George carved out a pig piece of the F&SM, and gave it to you in a box.

The first building, houses a tavern on the first floor and a printshop upstairs. In the back, a covered elevator shaft gets all the supplies and equipment to the shop upstairs. Business has been good for the printer, because he has leased some space upstairs from the business next door, and he is connected to it via an elevated walkway bridging the alley. This is a cool feature and very distinctive but not uncommon at all. The meat packer next door was happy to lease excess space, and he has the largest building on the block. Last on the row, are the two buildings owned by a boot and shoe company.

George masterfully mixes all the usual surfaces, but has some surprises this year, including a totally new corrugated metal treatment that blends the rusted and the original galvanized metal so well, you'll just have to try it. Details will be in the instructions.

Many new castings populate the row, adding that special FSM touch so prized by modelers.

The kit builds up into approximately 11 by 22 inches, but the buildings can, of course, be separated and placed wherever there is space on your layout. Many of you have expressed an interest in an FSM waterfront scene. George believes that this kit will give you just what you are looking for. He expects it to be priced slightly higher than Baxter's, but it has so much more. For comparison, Baxter's came with 48 pieces of 1/8 bracing andSkinner's has 60."

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 09/17/2003 04:02:29 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  10:08:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

All I can say is WOW!

IMO, that's the best looking kit/diorama George has come out with in a long time. It looks like an actual slice of the F&SM!

It's almost enough to make me reconsider the era and locale of my layout.... change things a bit, so I could fit this in...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern

Tom Hopkins
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  10:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Tom Hopkins an AOL message  Send Tom Hopkins an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Well that gets me off my butt(he says as he reaches for the checkbook}

tom

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  4:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It looks like I've got to order a load more Sierra Scale cedar shingles for this kit.Can't Wait.

NickO

Hangem Harry
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  5:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I reserved mine and sent out payment today I figured I better before they are all gone.

George said he would be posting photos on the web site soon.

Harry

Edited by - Hangem Harry on 09/17/2003 5:44:03 PM

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  8:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skinner’s Row looks different than what I expected. Mike, you are right about it being typical FS&M. I don’t think I have seen another kit like it from anyone & in IMO it is one of his best kits. I think it will sell out fast!

I don’t think the picture does it justice. There is supposed to be more photos posted on the FSM Forum later tonight as well as some on his website in the near future. Maybe we can get a better idea how it looks.

I just have to figure out how to pay for one! I think this would be a good kit to buy. The problem is my wife informed me today that we need a new couch & dining room set. How do I explain to her that I can buy a whole row of buildings much cheaper??!!??….and my layout needs them!!

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 09/18/2003 6:27:53 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  10:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Yes I like the new FSM kit and I think it would look very nice on my proposed layout.
However I may not get the kit since I am not sure when I will be able to build it.
I am working on the challenge project now and have ordered 2 kits from FOS so that means the rest of this year is planned.
Then I still have to finish the BIS Waterfront Kit and complete that diorama which will take a while.
Then I hope we could start a group project on Qunicy's around next June.
Also there is the structure that Bruce posted that I want to scratch build.
Of course I am sure that Brett will bring out another kit that I will want.
So as of now I think I will pass on the new FSM kit.
Of course Rich is going to post more pictures which will probably make the kit even more appealing.
Decisions, decisions, decisions...........

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  10:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
Well Rich posted 10 pictures of Skinner's Row.
They are in the following groups files section.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FSMpix/?yguid=51475743

You will have to join that group in order to access the files section.

John Bagley

Edited by - Bbags on 09/17/2003 11:03:58 PM

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  02:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

John,
I really wouldn't dither around trying to make you mind up whether to buy or not,because it won't be around for long.This time next year I imagine it will cost you over $500,so if you think you will ever "need" one,now is the time to get it.I know this is fuelling the feeding frenzy that is going on at the moment but this one looks too good to miss.IMO it does not look over priced and you seem to get alot for your money.
I should imagine George's phone is red hot at the moment,

NickO

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  09:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Hi all

John, I followed your link but all I saw were three folders of photos and two individual photos. None of them were Rich's Skinner's Row photos.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  10:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

quote:
Originally posted by Bbags

Hi all

John, I followed your link but all I saw were three folders of photos and two individual photos. None of them were Rich's Skinner's Row photos.

Hi Mike
I just went there and everything worked fine.
Make sure you click on the Files button and then it is the fifth folder down beneath the folder marked Rappa's stuff.
This is the folder
Skinner's Row
George's 2003 Kit

However there were 3 posts on the Yahoo Group saying that they were locked out from the pictures.
However it worked fine for me just a minute ago.
Edit
Now I can get to the file section and open the folder for Skinner's Row, but when I try to view the pictures I am getting an unauthorized error which other people on the FSM Group are also getting.
I think it is a Yahoo problem.
Anyway the pictures were very good.

John Bagley

Edited by - Bbags on 09/18/2003 12:14:57 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  12:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I found the folder. I was looking in "Photos" rather than "Files." However, when I tried to look at Rich's photos, I got a message that said something about "download limits" having been exceeded and the file was unavailable. Since I'm leaving for the lake in a few minutes and will be on my old slow dialup for the next couple of days, I'll wait until I'm back home to try again.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  1:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
Well since there are problems at the Yahoo Group
Here are the pictures.
There are 10 total.
These pictures were taken by Rich Josselyn for use in the advertisement for Skinner's Row.

Download Attachment: DSCN1311.jpg
56.59 KB

Download Attachment: DSCN1323.jpg
41.78 KB

Download Attachment: DSCN1334.jpg
48.39 KB

Download Attachment: DSCN1335.jpg
43.94 KB

Download Attachment: DSCN1340.jpg
52.5 KB

Download Attachment: DSCN1341.jpg
54.21 KB

Download Attachment: DSCN1485.jpg
53.62 KB

John Bagley

Edited by - Bbags on 09/18/2003 2:58:58 PM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  6:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting the photos, John. Rich did a nice job of photographing Skinner's.

I agree with Nick's comment that there's probably a feeding frenzy going on right now over this kit. I'd probably order/reserve one just for the sheer fun of putting it together, but I've got a big wedding to pay for in 3 weeks. My daughter and her mother (aka my wife) are driving me into bankruptcy with this wedding stuff. They seem to think this wedding is more important than my model building interests. They just don't get it...

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Finescale Urban Modeling Topic Next Topic: Cedar Shingles Method by Brian  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000