Railroad Line Forums - Geezer's lounge - Volume 23
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Geezer's lounge - Volume 23
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: 2-4-4-2 Disassembly ? Topic Next Topic: Heisler sound
Page: of 100

Curator49
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/25/2017 :  09:41:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone - I need to be severely chastised because I haven't posted since my retirement on the 4 August. The first two weeks flew by with me spending quite a bit of time with my 97 yo father (nearly 98) and organising things for our trip to the US.
Pauline and I are now in Durango having ridden the train to Silverton yesterday. We spent Monday and Tuesday in Chama taking the Cumbres & Toltec Chama to Antonito then Antonito to Chama the next day. I am pretty upset with the rental car company as I paid extra for a GPS unit but it broke down at Beuna Vista on our drive down from Denver to Chama last Sunday. Fortunately I remembered the was on Route 285 from my last trip here in 2013. I am very concerned about our return to Denver via Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs and Silver Plume especially the section over the Million Dollar Highway past Silverton. I have been told some scary things about that road and I have been suffering somewhat from altitude sickness.
I am going to see if I can arrange something with the local branch of the rental car company in Durango today.
After Silver Plume on Sunday we will head to Denver, return the rental car and book into the convention hotel for the 37th NNGC. Hopefully, I might be able to catch up with some of you during the convention. I have already come across three locals from Houston who were part of the group that organised the Convention there in 2015 and also two other Aussies one from Cairns and one from Mackay.
Take care everyone and wish me well over that Million Dollar Highway.
Best Regards
David Mewes
Retired
(Curator The Workshops Rail Museum)

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2017 :  12:20:49 PM  Show Profile
David, glad to see you are doing well and made is safely over to this continent. Sorry about the altitude sickness - I guess the air is a little thin there, especially if you are used to be being around sea level. Enjoy the show and good luck on the drive! If you make it to the cafe, there is hot coffee and croissants waiting.
Cheers,
Dave

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2017 :  12:52:37 PM  Show Profile
Dave, Have a wonderful time at the Convention.
ed

Fritz1952
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  9:17:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone.
Been a while since I oosted. So here goes.
I just got out of the hospital.. stayed four days to get a handle on what we thought was a hasty xold. Turned out to be pluersy. Plus my esphogas is a bit inflamed. The doctor put me on strong antibiotics and percocet.it's going to take 6-10 weeks for recovery. But that's ok because I have lots to keep me busy. Honey-do lists and train stuff.
I did have time to finish "More Up Clear Creek and do a little doodling to get something down on paper.
Fred

Superintendent
Kebler Pass Subdivision
Colorado and Southern RR

Fritz1952
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  9:19:28 PM  Show Profile
Just a quixk note:
Everybody have a great time at the NNGC.
FRED

Superintendent
Kebler Pass Subdivision
Colorado and Southern RR

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 08/29/2017 :  07:31:48 AM  Show Profile
Morning All, coffee is on and eggs, sasage, gravy, biscuits, butter and jams in the warmers.

I've been lurking lately but still here.

Have a great day.

Mark

W,L,&E

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2017 :  10:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage
Morning gents......lots of rain at the beach today so there's time to head into the shop to work on various rwy. projects that need completion.
Haven't spent much time on the forum lately, so it's nice to catch up with reading about OLD friends (and NEW projects!).
Nice to see such nice thoughts again about
Geezer with his anniversary coming around.
Best wishes Bill! and keep modeling!! Sully

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 08/29/2017 :  12:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Fred, best wishes for a speedy recovery. Rest up!
Mark, thanks for brekkie - I could definitely use some good sausage.
Sully, welcome back!
David, how was the convention? Worthwhile coming all this way?
Hope everyone has a good day!
Cheers,
Dave

Fritz1952
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/30/2017 :  11:55:16 PM  Show Profile
Greetings all!!
Just a,quick in and out to get a cold one.
As of tomorrow we are moving into a house. More room for us. Aftr 8 months in this roach palace. We Wil be able y fish in our own pond and even put I a garden. With the long growing season a should have veggies almost hear rounx.

Fred

Superintendent
Kebler Pass Subdivision
Colorado and Southern RR

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  05:49:26 AM  Show Profile
Morning All, coffee is on and danish on the counter.

Fred, that's good to hear you are getting a better place, just not for that reason.

Not much to report here just maintaining.

Have a great day All.

Mark

W,L,&E

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  12:59:22 PM  Show Profile
Good morning all! Last day of August and unofficial end to summer with kids going back to school next week. Slightly overcast with smoke coming up over the border from Washington. Really!? Hasn't there been enough forest fires already? Still no rain - lost count as to number of days without.
Fred, good luck on your move. I hope it goes well. sounds you found a nice haven.
Mark, thanks, again, for opening. Have a good day.
Cheers,
Dave

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  9:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage
Sad news in California. A forest fire started very near the Yosemite Suger Pine railroad on Hwy 41. It's been dubbed the Railroad fire. Yes, there has been damage but the full extent is unknown. Photos on the net show that the snow plow and tank car behind it have been burned and a video clip from ABC Fresno shows fire at the foot of the entrance sign. One photo shows that #10 seems undamaged.

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  11:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage
If you have FB, this is the longest vid clip I've seen on the damage at Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine RR. Contrary to the reporter, the fire didn't start here but this is a well known location so that contributed to the naming of the fire. The staff deserve much credit for saving their railroad assets. They were the first defenders when winds shifted and blew the fire back toward the railroad.

https://www.facebook.com/ChristinaFanABC30/videos/1438229272931260/?fref=gs&dti=419439331500405&hc_location=group

And a bit more info:

http://sierranewsonline.com/historic-equipment-burns-at-yosemite-mt-sugar-pine-railroad/

Edited by - kewlbrew on 09/01/2017 03:18:39 AM

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  09:25:16 AM  Show Profile
Morning All, coffee and coffee cake are ready.

it lloks like the fire didn;t do too much damage out west.

Everyone have a great day.

Mark

PS,Any word from the NNGC?

W,L,&E

Edited by - BBLmber on 09/01/2017 09:29:39 AM

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  10:28:10 AM  Show Profile
Been at the convention for the first few days. It's my first one so I have nothing to compare it with. Rumour has it that it's the biggest ever with just under 2300 registrations! Keep in mind I said 'rumour' but it came from an official.
Vendor halls have sent my credit card into cardiac arrest!! Some competition models are beyond wow. Clinics have been great.
Only down side I can mention is the competition room is too small and the aisles in the vendor halls are too narrow. Oh and finding a car park can be an adventure in itself! Otherwise 10 out of 10 to the organizers.
About to get into the car now and head there.

bruce

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: 2-4-4-2 Disassembly ? Topic Next Topic: Heisler sound  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000