Railroad Line Forums - Geezer's lounge - Volume 23
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Geezer's lounge - Volume 23
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: 2-4-4-2 Disassembly ? Topic Next Topic: Heisler sound
Page: of 100

Curator49
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/18/2017 :  4:36:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone - It is 6:30 am Monday morning here in Ipswich. It is quite warm today at 16 degrees centigrade. Where's winter?
I see you live down on the Gold Coast brucet. I must confess I haven't been down that way since I took one of my daughters down for end of year schoolies must be all of twelve years ago. I am not one for the surf or beach for that matter. My more regular visits were when passing through to go down to see the small cane railway system at Condong sugar mill in northern New South Wales and that tramway closed in 1974.
I have just brewed some fresh coffee and have boiling water available for tea/green tea and plain toast. Nothing fancy today.
Continued to do some work tidying up the T-shed so I can do some work on the layout. I managed to make corrections and rewrite half the article about the Cairns Railway for the Institution of Engineers yesterday afternoon.
The Museum has selected candidates for my job (Curator)and the Senior Curators position which has been vacant for three years.
I only have 35 working days before I finish up.

Best Regards
David Mewes
Curator
The Workshops Rail Museum

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  12:52:53 AM  Show Profile
David, It must feel good. A little over a month to go. You must be a-twitter with anticipation!
Father's Day today (Sunday is just wrapping up here) and I got to spend some time hobbying. My daughter made me home-made ice cream sandwiches for dessert. Ice cream was Cognac-flavoured. Sweet dreams to night!
Cheers,
Dave

Curator49
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  4:28:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone - It is 6:15 am Tuesday here at the Museum in Ipswich and another warm morning.
I must admit, the closer I get to actually finishing work the more I am looking forward to it though I stress somewhat about finances. Will we have enough money to live on while the bills keep going up.
I have more than enough model railway equipment, rolling stock, kits etc - you name it so I will have plenty to keep my modelling interest peaked.
I have a very large reference library of prototype railway books mainly narrow gauge from around the world as well as files I and previous friends who have passed have compiled. Lots to do there too so I can switch from one to the other whatever takes my fancy.

High on my priorities are my three grandsons who love grandad's trains. I want to start helping them build their own small layout - perhaps 6 ft X 4 ft.
I also have a granddaughter but I have not seen her for several years since she was born. My eldest daughter and her husband are involved with some religious cult and refuse to allow us to have any contact them. My wife is in tears at times over this. So sad.
Anyway, on a more pleasant note, I have brewed some coffee and boiled water for tea/green tea and have pancakes with maple syrup and cream available. Please join me.
Best Regards
David Mewes
Curator

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  3:49:52 PM  Show Profile
David, I am sure you will be busy enough once into retirement. I have heard that one should not expect expenses to go down in retirement as while you drop some expenses you will pick up others as you fill in your free time. All you need to do is work on clearing your hobby-do list and not buy more stuff :-) I remember you said you had a financial planner so I am thinking that your are well-planned and have a budget to keep you on the straight and narrow.
I am so sorry to hear that your daughter and son-in-law keep their daughter away from you. That must be hard.
We have our own struggles with our daughter (17 and diagnosed with anorexia) The frustrating part is that she doesn't look it but her heart is so weak from insufficient nutrition that it barely beats and we worry about her having a heart-attack. Dr wanted her hospitalized this weekend but couldn't coordinate it with the hospital so it just resulted in a lot of frustration dealing with ER to get her admitted. As of today, still no luck. I guess she needs to have an actual heart-attack :-(
Anyway, I guess it is all in God's hands. We can only do so much, short of storming the hospital and occupying a bed.
Hope you are all having a better week!
Cheers,
Dave

Curator49
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  4:50:42 PM  Show Profile
It looks like I need to open up the Lounge today. I have done some cleaning, dusted off the chairs and sofa and swept the floor. I would ask that people please wash their own cups and place them back in the cupboard each day. The water is boiled for fresh coffee and tea and there are some Blueberry muffins on the counter that I have just warmed up in the microwave.
David, I feel for you and pray for your daughter, yourself and your family that everything turns out okay. There are times that you just feel so helpless and it is, as you say, in God's hands.
A new person has tentatively been appointed to fill my position. He lives in New South Wales and will be flown up here next week for a two day visit so he can get the "feel" of this place and to meet me as I will be training him. I understand he is a rail enthusiast and a railway modeller. Our Principal Curator sounded quite excited when she told me the news yesterday. His name is also David.
Hopefully, I will finish the book chapter today for the Institution of Engineers and this will leave Sunday free to do some work in the T-Shed (Train Shed). I am still occupied Saturday afternoons with sorting my late friend's estate of railway books and historical files.
Best Regards
David Mewes
Curator

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  6:05:54 PM  Show Profile
LOL. David, you are always opening because you are about 14 hours ahead of me! That's cool that he has similar interests and same first name. Your boss may not notice you're gone! At least she won't have to get used to a new name.
Time for afternoon tea, here.
Cheers,
Dave

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  7:03:13 PM  Show Profile
Hey all, I've been on the sidelines lately wasn't feeling well after my treatment.

I had a good Fathers day with my daughter.

I've got a step great grandson I hope to see soon.

David and David I feel for you both, and hope things will get better.

Have a great day all.

Mark

W,L,&E

Fritz1952
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  8:30:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi everybody!!
Haven't stopped by for awhile. And just catching up. My wife Sue has kept me busy as I am her caregiver 24/7. In between that, a little model stuff has been accomplished. I repainted and relettered two Bachmann box cars and q flat car for our layout.
Another birthday. Came and went. I am now offically retired, (actually since 2014). Retirement ain't what it is supposed to be.
Between my sweetheart,Sue, we have an autistic son that lives with us. I am also 'busy' with 4 aquariums. We have some Discus that keep me sane. I go into the Fishroom when stuff I am working on gets too stressful, like trying to blue together some Bettendorf truck kits. (Some parts are just sooo small)

Mark: you are in our prayers.i hope the treatments go well.

Curator: across the pond hub? My roots go three generations back from Devonshire.

Anywway I have to find my little Philips to install the trucks lol

Superintendent
Kebler Pass Subdivision
Colorado and Southern RR

Fritz1952
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  10:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey y'all Cindy is coming ashore here in bama. And we're all Buttoned up. The main storm I going to hit the gulf coast west of us.

Haven't been here for awhile. My duties as my wife has me busy.I am also just getting over a nasty eye and sinus infection. But otherwise we have been doing a little model RR stuff. Mainly painting and lettering two Bachmann box cars for the 1923-1932 period C&S. They are just being done to represent the era, not a nuts n bolt car.
Mark: you're in our daily prayers buddy. Keep up the good fight!
Fred

Superintendent
Kebler Pass Subdivision
Colorado and Southern RR

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  1:04:23 PM  Show Profile
We are finally recovering from our bad colds. Still a bit of a cough butt trying to avoid the doctor.

Busy packing up and order for 20 special order Tweetsie kits. Seems I am short a couple pieces of styrene rod so off to the hobby shop this afternoon.

Keep cool.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  3:23:25 PM  Show Profile
Good Afternoon folks,
It's nice to hear from long-time absentees! Dave...see a doctor! Don't let it mutate into something worse. Fred, I hope you weather the storm well. Mark, thanks for the kind words. Actually we had a bit of a reprieve. Our daughter's heartrate improved enough that hospitalization wasn't required. Some anxiety meds will hopefully allow her to eat properly and get stronger.
On the 1:48 front, I got most of the mine headframe built last night.
There's a pot of hot water on for tea. Scones and biscuits on the counter.
Cheers,
Dave

Curator49
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  4:15:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone - It is 6:00 am Thursday here in Ipswich and another morning with a not too cold temperature - 9 degrees centigrade.
David pleased to hear a little bit of good news. I pray that these first little steps lead to something better. I know you will already know this but your family should remain positive around her.
Dave M - yes I would echo David's suggestion that you see a doctor as what appears to be a relatively minor infection can indeed get much worse. My son, Raymond, came down with a chest infection several weeks back which turned into a severe case of asthma. He was on the nebuliser at home for three weeks and off work for four. He has been back at work for a week and a half and now is off again at least until the end of this week with a viral chest infection. The trouble is people go to work when they are not well and the germs they spread in the office and through the air-conditioning through their sneezing and coughing as well as through contact with telephones, computer keyboards etc spreads to other staff.
I have brought in some pancakes with maple syrup and cream to have with our coffee/tea this morning.
Best Regards
David Mewes
Curator

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  5:56:29 PM  Show Profile
Hey All, another day and I feel bad after dialisis.

Everyone down around the glf coast be safe.

Dave watch those colds as it can be something worse.

Have a great day all.

Mark

PS: I jst hit 6000 posts.

W,L,&E

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  9:19:37 PM  Show Profile
Just looked and it has been 3 weeks since I last checked in. Xrays and MRI of my back confirm stenosis in lumbar region -- no sh*t, I could have told them that! More PT and an appointment for injections in late August to put off surgery -- oh goodie!
Today was our 48th wedding anniversary -- can't believe that she has put up with me that long. We will be busy for the next couple of weeks with guests then a week in St Thomas USVI for my 70th birthday courtesy of our oldest son -- drinking will help the back I am sure.
Take care Bill

Curator49
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/21/2017 :  10:38:19 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Mark on your 6,000 posts. I have a very long way to go.
Also congratulations to you Bill and your good wife. 48th Wedding Anniversary time to party.
Best Regards
David Mewes
Curator

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: 2-4-4-2 Disassembly ? Topic Next Topic: Heisler sound  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000