Railroad Line Forums - Geezer's lounge - Volume 23
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: Loren Johnsen ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Geezer's lounge - Volume 23
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: 2-4-4-2 Disassembly ? Topic Next Topic: Heisler sound
Page: of 100

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  5:36:13 PM  Show Profile
Tom, thanks for stopping by. It's hard keeping track of everything that's going on isn't it?
Mark, thanks for the eats. I will have some of them eggs and sausage. Enjoy your train watching!
Not much going on today. Weather keeping customers away. My wife is dismantling the remainder of our deck while I'm at work - gotta love her!
Have a good day, All.
Dave

Curator49
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  8:32:22 PM  Show Profile
It is 10:30 am Sunday morning here (Mother's Day)and it is very overcast with showers and rain at times here at the Museum.
Why am I at work today? Well our former Museum Director, who is now CEO of Transport Heritage New South Wales asked the Queensland Rail (QR)Workshops Manager if he could give a visitor a special "behind the scenes" workshops tour so the workshops manager asked me if I could fill in for him and here I am (as a volunteer)and I don't even work for QR.
I have just brewed some fresh coffee and brought in a few blueberry muffins which we can heat up in the microwave and have warm with fresh cream. Please join me.
Hopefully, I won't be too late home as I was expecting to cook a roast for my better half for dinner tonight. However, I do tend to get carried away when I give one of my special tours. A 2 hour tour soon becomes a 4 hour tour

Best Regards
David Mewes
Curator
The Workshops Rail Museum

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  08:16:16 AM  Show Profile
Good Mothers Day Morning, coffee is on and hot cakes sausage, eggs, and butter an maple syrup are ready.

It's sunny and 57f here in WV.

Have a great day all.

Mark

W,L,&E

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  11:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Sorry for my absence lately. I have been lurking but no time to post. I've been playing nurse to the wife then I got sick. Please keep the place open.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Curator49
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  4:52:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone - It is 6:30 am Monday here at the Museum. It was a very foggy drive from home this morning.
I'm sorry I have only brewed some coffee this morning with hot water for tea for those so inclined.
The "behind the scenes" tour for the gentleman from New South Wales went well yesterday though I spent longer than usual showing him the Museum and the QR workshops. I do tend to get carried away.
I am really giving my home On30 layout a great deal of thought. I am starting to come to the conclusion that I have gotten carried away with too much track, too many long passing loops and leaving insufficient room for buildings. My baseboard construction (double deck) is pretty much complete except for the proposed helix.
I am still thinking I should leave it as a point-to-point with probably a staging yard at the terminus on the bottom level. I just think I have squeezed in too many passing loops at the initial terminal station and one of the intermediate stations. I am still stuck in my old HO Scale ways rather than adapting to On30 - O Scale. I am still sticking to On30 as I love the opportunities it presents. The nit-pickers and rivet counters can have their own ideas but this is Raymond's and my layout. I love the Colorado narrow gauge (especially C&S and RGS) and also the Maine two footers. Raymond and I also have a love of Queensland 2 foot gauge cane railways. We have a lot of rolling stock covering all these interests.
I am especially interested in shunting, making up trains and despatching them to another destination with a shunt or two along the way.
Meantime, until I actually retire on 4 August, there will be a great deal of thought and doodling on paper.
I believe the Museum is to start advertising for my replacement this week with a hope that they can get someone before I finish work so that "I can teach them all about railways. I think to myself "Good Luck with that idea". I have been interested in railways since I was a toddler, had my first Hornby clockwork train set when I was six and my first electric train set when I was ten. Building and operating model railway layouts since then, as an individual, with other friends and as a member of various clubs. I have been researching railway history and operations since I was about 15 - more than 50 years ago. I think it will be a little longer than a week or a few days to teach someone if they employ a candidate with no railway knowledge just the required Museum skills (Degrees in History and Museum Studies). We shall see.
Best Regards
David Mewes
Curator

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  05:36:27 AM  Show Profile
Morning All, coffee is on and danish on the counter.

I couldn't sleep so came in and opened up.

Larry I hope you and Fluffy get to feeling better.

David, I'm sure you will be tough to replace.

Have a great day All.

Mark

W,L,&E

Curator49
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  4:42:17 PM  Show Profile
Tuesday morning here at the Museum. I have brought in some pancakes to have with our morning coffee or tea. There is also some maple syrup and cream for the pancakes for those with a sweet tooth.
Not a great deal to report except for searching through a couple of cartons of books from my late friend in order to donate some to the Museum. The head librarian from the main Queensland Museum will be here Thursday with a recently retired librarian who will become a volunteer here to catalogue and generally look after our library. The Museum librarian will be training the volunteer how to do things "the Museum way" .
Raymond has just received a big parcel from Micro-Mark with 10 of the Bachmann 18 ft flat cars and the updated 2-6-0. Unfortunately the person packing the loco at the factory broke off the front pony truck. This seems to happen quite a bit when they pack into those rigid pre-formed plastic inserts with ladders, steps and other details being broken off. We do not blame Micro-Mark for the damage but the damage could easily have been seen if it was inspected (through the clear panel on the box) before it was packed for shipment to Australia.
Best Regards
David Mewes
Curator

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2017 :  08:45:40 AM  Show Profile
Morning All, coffee is on and I oiled the door hinges so it's easy to open.

It's 53f and the sun is shining.

I've been continplating my next move as far as the hobby goes.

Well everyone have a great day.

Mark

W,L,&E

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2017 :  11:45:29 AM  Show Profile
Morning Mark!

Have a great day. Nothing with me except work.
Been hanging out @ FB On30 group......armchair modeling...

Philip

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2017 :  3:15:04 PM  Show Profile
Morning Mark, Philip,
Hectic morning as always when it's first day back after the weekend. We finished pulling up the rotten deck and arbor Monday to get it hauled to the dump. Final weight that was hauled away.....6500 lbs!! Most of that was ripped up and moved by my darling wife while I was at work. Part 2 - replace said deck.
Hope you all have a good day
Cheers,
Dave

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  08:31:52 AM  Show Profile
Morning All , railbender cffee is on and stale donuts on the counter.

Off to the foot doctor this morning see you'll later.\mark

W,L,&E

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  6:23:38 PM  Show Profile
Afternoon! Someone ate all the donuts....
Left some craft beer from by buddy's brewery. Enjoy!
Long weekend coming up (Queen Victoria's birthday) this weekend. Sun is supposed to be out with a high of 25 C!! Woot!
Cheers,
Dave

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  11:20:58 AM  Show Profile
Morning, barely.
It was hot yesterday and warming up again now today.
I'll get some sliced ham and turkey ready for lunch. Make your own sandwich, all the fixin's in the 'fridge. Ice tea is also made so you can relax and enjoy a cool one.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  2:07:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey all,
Thanks for the lunch fixin's Dave. Our backyard is slowly drying out and what once looked the fields of Flanders in 1917, is a bit drier. Hopefully new deck will start in a few weeks.
Have a wonderful day!
Cheers,
Dave

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  5:00:53 PM  Show Profile
Afternoon All, thanks for the tea andsandwich fixins Dave.

Hot and humid here with thunder storms moving through.

Just got home so I'm relaxing.

Have a good evening.

Mark

W,L,&E

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: 2-4-4-2 Disassembly ? Topic Next Topic: Heisler sound  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000