Railroad Line Forums - 1892 Standard Oil Empty Barrel Car
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 1892 Standard Oil Empty Barrel Car
Previous Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Offical Railway Equipment Register Measurments? Topic Next Topic: new (to me) line of HO and O scale figures
Page: of 3

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  06:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another Cooperage Car that I am building. It is from the Little Rock Cooperage Co. It is very similar to the HD Williams Cooperage Co car. While having similar length, notice that the truck are sunk into the framing. These cars are great and I'm looking forward to building them.

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  5:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another A. Knabb & Co. Cooperage Car. This car is a sister to the AM Welti & Bros., 60 feet long, 10'6" high. I am having decals made of both! Awesome! Cooperage! Wahoo!

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2019 :  11:08:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys,

Great news! Decals for the A. Knabb & Co and the AM Welti & Bro Cooperage cars have been made! All scales available N-HO-S-O-G. Three more will be coming. I'll announce those later. Please check out K4_Pacific on eBay. He is making decals for us as I am supplying him with photos from my 1800+ collection of 1880-1916 photos. More to come. Working the plans out. Will have them posted up shortly.

Levi

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 04/16/2019 :  11:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds great Levi! Modern day spirit of the old Art Griffin collection. I bet you've got a lot of different stuff. I would say "new" but that isn't fitting at all considering the prototype source age!

Blair

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2019 :  11:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news again! Decals for the HD Williams Cooperage and Little Rock Cooperage 60' Giants have been made. All scales available N-HO-S-O. You may have to ask for "G". Please check out K4_Pacific on eBay. More to come. Working out plans for these as well.

Two more cooperage cars to come: Another Little Rock and Russell Bros out of Kansas.

Levi

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2019 :  6:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Any pictures of your progress?

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  3:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Y'all,

I have no forgotten this thread, or the drawings of the cars to scale. I've been a little busy with a hail storm we had back on the 13th of April, and the mess it has created for me. I will be posting up shortly.

So far, we have as available decals:

A. Knabb Enclosed Cooperage Car
AM Welti & Bros. Enclosed Cooperage Car
HD Williams Cooperage Car
Little Rock Cooperage Car

and now, soon to come:

The Russell Cooperage Car:

I have one or two other cooperage cars to be done and that rounds them all out.

I hope to have some plans up shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Levi

SAFN SAAP
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  10:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Y'all,

K-4 just released the decals for the Russell Cooperage car! Also, I worked with him on making decals for all the builders marks for ACF and predecessor car builders, along with those which were not absorbed by ACF. They are available in all scales, multiple colors and are on two sets. Check them out on eBay.

Thanks,

Levi

CVSNE
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  11:08:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit CVSNE's Homepage  Send CVSNE a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
An old (late 1970s - 1978 perhaps?) issue of RMC had an article on building a Standard Oil "Old Timer" tank car - the tank is sitting on a flat car as opposed to a "frameless" type tank car.
I recall that same article had some information - and may have included a Howard Fogg painting showing some version of the barrel cars.
There might be a tidbit or two of information in that article. Worth checking out.
Marty

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA
www.centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  11:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: Marty's post...

And this may be the Howard Fogg painting to which he refers...

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  11:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way...

Here's another form of hauling loaded barrels as depicted by yet another rail art painting:

images/icon_paperclip.gif

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  1:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's my understanding that Fogg had access to UTL records and expertise when doing the Allegheny River painting. So I personally consider that "almost authoritative" for the color of UTL cars. There's also, I believe, documentation of mineral red and even "silver" (aluminum?) colored UTL cars in the 19th century.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Offical Railway Equipment Register Measurments? Topic Next Topic: new (to me) line of HO and O scale figures  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000