Railroad Line Forums - New W&N
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 New W&N
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Upgrading a Pocher boxcar
Page: of 4

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  5:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its an L about 12 x 12 more or less.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  9:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Dave!

Also, enjoyed reading and seeing the pics at your "Op Session #5" blog over at MRH!

Andre

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  09:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For some reason the forum will not let me load pix to this forum, so here is a link to the op session thread on my MRH blog:

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/31881

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  10:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the reason!

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/sites/model-railroad-hobbyist.com/files/users/dave1905/IMG_2309.JPG

Size: 273.43 KB (279,994 bytes) About 173 KB too large.

Dimension: 1,600px 1,200px (scaled to 750px 563px)

Even though it was scaled down, the resolution is too high, try changing the resolution to 72 pixels (screen monitors can't do better than 72 ppi, so anything higher is just wasting bandwidth. OR

If you're a Windows user, do a File > "send to" "email", it will downsize your photos, you can change the size to 800 px as suggested, and they should post.

Jim

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  2:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a great time was had by all. That's what it is all about.
ed

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  08:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The layout's looking good Dave, really nice fall scenery!

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 12/16/2017 08:18:32 AM

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  11:37:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Latest project was building Coatesville, PA. After I found some additional information I redesigned it to have 3 smaller steel mills rather than the one large one I had originally planned. It was designed so the yard and much of the main track,siding and running were built before the industries, that way I could keep things operating during construction. I completed the last track work about a month ago and have been working on the switch linkages, fascia, recessed switch controls and car card boxes. Last week I had a friend over to test switch Coatesville and it worked as intended.

Here is a diagram of the Coatesville terminal:

An overview of the southern half, with the yard, Worth Brothers Steel an Lukens Steel in the corner:

A view of the northern half with Viaduct Steel and the depot:

Bob switching Worth Steel:

A through freight making a set out into the North Belt:

Bob switching up the pick up for the freight, who is patiently waiting on the main:

One enhancement I didn't have ready for the trial run, but that I have added are car card holders along the fascia. I saw this on line, so its not my original idea. I bought binder "combs", punched 3 holes in them and attached them to the fascia with three small pan head screws. I tried J strips previously but like the combs better because they clamp the cards, making them less likely to fall or blow over. Plus they are 'soft' and will give if bumped into.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  1:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice update, Dave! Thanks for taking the time to compose/post it.

I noticed you're using an Atlas turntable. How's that working out? Is its inclusion only temporary or are you going to incorporate it into the scheme of things permanently?

I have two turntables designed into my layout... had wondered about using the Atlas if nothing else as temporaries until the time comes that they can be replaced with Diamond Scale's 50' Gallows tables.

Andre

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  3:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's for the feedback! I use Atlas turntables as temporary turntables until I can get around to making/building something appropriate. They work well for a manual turntable. I also have the crews use them as trains have to turn their power after they arrive. The power arrives at Wilmington pointed south, the crew takes it to the house, runs it through the coaling track, turns the engine and puts it on the ready track. At Coatesville I will eventually run occasional turns that will run from Wilmington or Birdsboro to Coatesville and return, so the crew will have to turn the power to make the return trip. The late Rev. Jerry McGee (the Puye and Phui RR that was written up in MR several times) had a 65 ft turntable where the pivot was attached to a 33 1/3 record that stuck through the fascia, you rotated the record and it turned the turntable.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2018 :  8:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, turntables. Great little devices: Compact, efficient... cool looking... but such a pain in the arse to construct. I remember Malcolm Furlow used the Atlas TT with a scratch built Gallows on it. Not bad (look surprisingly good to me, actually)... but at 9", the Atlas 'tis a bit big for what I need. I need something like the 50' - 55' table (I can't remember which it is) that Diamond Scale offers (at $150+ per table!)... or scratch build one. I've only scratch built one TT in my modeling career. It turned out "okay"... but I'd rather avoid scratching another.

As I mentioned over at the MRH forum: Really like your idea for card holders. It will be interesting to see how they hold up under use and bumps and stuff that goes along with us 1:1 size operators.

Speaking of MRH: Glad to see you've made a good installment on your thread here. MRH is a place with a lot of very good modelers... but seems to me there's quite a bit of ego's involved, too. I really like the "feel" and "culture" of this forum, just wish more of us small band of Merrie Olde Men (TOC19'ers) made this forum their home and that it was more active.

All fer now!

Andre

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  5:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The car shop has been busy. I have completed three more of my homemade resin kits for P&R class GHa gons. There they are prior to paint:

And in the paint booth:

I also had some Roundhouse steel underframe cars, total foobie's. I saw an article in the "B&O Modeler" several years ago about converting them into a B&O M12 boxcar, so decied to try that. It was actually a pretty easy conversion. New sides, roof and details from Tichy.

Here it is under construction:

Next to the original type of car, with a coat of primer:

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  5:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice development of the railroad. The cars are looking really Sharp. On turntables there are a couple of Good kits available on the 2nd hand market. Cliff line had an excellent A-frame. Model Masterpieces had a couple of nice kits. One for a gallows turntable and one for a plate girder bridge. A New Zealand company makes a kit for a Sellers turntable.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  7:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice stuff, Dave!

The cars are coming together great. AND, I had forgotten about the above binder "combs" idea for car card holders. Gonna' have to look into that soon. Are you pleased with the way those card holders are working out?

All fer now.

Andre

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  8:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only issue I have with the combs is they are a bit obvious on the fascia, but I have had several operators use them and like them.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2019 :  12:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another enhancement for the M12 boxcars. I decided that I wanted the corner braces on the boxcars, so I used Tichy #3068 Large Strap Hinges, and cut a section off the end of the long strap, then glued it to the side of the car.

Here is a picture of the strap hinges, with some of them trimmed for corner braces.

And the car sides with the braces applied.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Upgrading a Pocher boxcar  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000