Railroad Line Forums - Scratchbashing an HOn3 Reefer
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Scratchbashing an HOn3 Reefer
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Carolina Central Moves To Hon30 Maine Topic Next Topic: HOn3 flea
Page: of 4

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  8:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had an old HOn3 reefer sitting in my parts bin and I thought it would be a good candidate for a rebuild. I'm not sure of it's lineage it came with printed basswood sides and cast metal details.

I peeled off all the metal castings. It was missing enough of them to make them unusable except for spare parts on other projects.

I ordered a set of decals off ebay for White pass and Yukon. The original set was for a boxcar and in yellow but the seller was able to print me a set in black, for a reefer.

From Grandt Line I got:
D&RGW HOn3 reefer hardware set
D&RGW Bolster and end beam set
and a set of 6" queen posts

Now this isn't going to be an entirely prototypical WP&Y reefer. Their's has a metal frame where I plan to build a truss-rod frame for mine. It's more of a freelance deal.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  8:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I started by peeling off the original sides to the car, removing the original wood bolsters and sanding things as smooth as I could get it. I plan to replace the original sides and ends with basswood car siding, add a trussrod frame and the grandt line details.

I added the grandt line bolsters and the stringers to the bottom as well as the queenpost beams.

Then I test fitted a pair of grandt line trucks to it. I also found that I had to use 0-80 screws for the trucks as everything is smaller.

The small size of the grandt line trucks takes a bit of getting used to the larger trucks are from MDC. I might add some spacers under the trucks as they seem to ride a bit low to my eyes. I also need to see the track clearance for the 6" queenposts. More later.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  8:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be popping in now and then to keep an eye this project. It's got my interest.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  9:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice project you have started here! Looking forward to your progress.
FYI, That is a Binkley HOn3 Kit Narrow Gauge reefer box car for Denver South Park.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  11:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Looks like a fun project. Looks like there won't be much left of the original model.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  01:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that info Louis, I've been dabbling in HOn3 for a few years but mostly logging stuff. I also recently found a East Broad Top Hopper kit from C&BT shops.
There's enough on the original to make the project possible, Mike. I just needed the 'box' especially the roof as I'd have trouble duplicating it's pitch.
Thanks for following along on this thread Bernd. HOn3 has always intrigued me, and my favorite has been the WP&Y RR
I added the queen posts tonight:

I've been trying to figure out what the underside of these things plausibly looked like and through a bit of research and looking at a standard gauge boxcar figured out this is where they go.

I'm not sure how detailed I'm going to do the underside, probably just install the K-brake cylinder. Mostly the topside will be visible anyway.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  07:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

The queenposts look good to me. Generally they are about 5 to 5 1/2 ft apart, lining up approximately with the door posts.

I have all kinds of narrow gauge plans in magazines if there's anything you would like me to look up. There was a nice article in a late 1980's MR on scratchbuilding narrow gauge cars that has plans.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  07:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fascinating project, Glen. It will be interesting to watch you put it all together.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  08:58:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My interest in this thread just piqued this morning. I have a box of HOn3 cars, seven to be exact, that are in need of restoration, plus an 0-4-0 saddle tank switcher which I believe to be TT scale in size, but yet has HOn3 gauged drivers. It doesn't look like the wheels have been re-gauged though. I'll start a separate thread and post some pictures later.

I'll definitely be visiting this thread often to see how you progress Glenn.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 07/25/2016 08:59:22 AM

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  09:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for following along everyone.
Mike I was using the HO boxcar for the width-wise spacing of the queenposts. I had figured out the beam location from an indent on the floor from the originals. If possible do you have the issue date of that MR?
Bernd, do you know if TT has the same gauge as HOn3 or was that engine just set up that way?
I just realized that I don't have turnbuckles for the trussrods. I might have to order some if shipping isn't too expensive or wait until I go on a trip to a larger hobby shop. At any rate until I get some I can't do much on the project until I do.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  09:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glen Haasdyk

Mike I was using the HO boxcar for the width-wise spacing of the queenposts. I had figured out the beam location from an indent on the floor from the originals. If possible do you have the issue date of that MR?

Model Railroader, February 1987.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  1:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bernd, do you know if TT has the same gauge as HOn3 or was that engine just set up that way?

Glenn,

Not wanting to hi-jack your thread I started a thread on those cars here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47671

Bernd

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  2:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glen, TT gauge is more HOn3-1/2 gauge. HOn3 is HO scale on track representing 3ft gauge railways. Track gauge is 10.5mm.

HOn3-1/2 is HO scale on track representing 3'6" gauge tracks. This uses 12mm gauge (TT) track.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2016 :  12:21:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information guys. I'll have to keep all of that in mind.
Just to prove I haven't dropped this project I was over at another modeller's house the other day and he gave me a few packs of these:

I don't really need anything out of them except for the turnbuckles, which are old-school stamped brass but they will do the job.
On another note I have three more HOn3 cars n the way from Ebay, a Rail Line boxcar and two Labelle passenger cars. I guess I should start looking for a decent engine, seeing as my two Logging tank engines are both unpowered and won't look right pulling passenger cars.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2016 :  2:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been mulling over this project and decided that I need some HOn3 tools essentials to make this work properly. Most importantly I need to be able to set coupler heights right so I have a Kadee coupler gauge on order. In the meantime over the past week I've been working on my Railline HOn3 boxcar:

For a plastic kit it's quite the challenge, particularly deciphering the instructions. I would say the kit itself is about as complicated as a Tichy kit but the instructions:

This is a photocopy of the original but I found they were somewhat overly complicated and difficult to follow. It did get easier as I continued, probably because there were less parts on the sprues

I had to repair the roofwalk on one end. the Pervious owner cut the boards flush with the end of the car so I used a bit of strip styrene to re-lengthen them.

The kit also came with full under body detail but I had to search out a picture of a Blackstone car to completely figure out how everything went. I'll be doing a similar setup o the reefer.

this is about how far I've gotten. I have to spray primer before adding the couplers and trucks. But I can get back to the reefer soon now that I have the rigging figured out.
I have one or two other HOn3 cars to build so instead of opening more threads, I'll just build them here.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2016 :  3:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The instructions might be difficult to follow, but it looks like you have figured them out. It is shaping up into a nice looking boxcar, Glen.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Carolina Central Moves To Hon30 Maine Topic Next Topic: HOn3 flea  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000