Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 183 ]  [ Total: 186 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks
Page: of 68

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2021 :  3:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Early Rail groups.io had a post of a very interesting photo of what is presumed to be the "Eastern RR" ca 1880s. Here's a small version formatted to fit this forum:

And here's a link to the photo that can be expanded:

https://www.mainememory.net/artifact/12122/zoom

What an exquisite photo! Via the zoom feature the photo can be expanded and really studied.

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2021 :  3:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Besides the different railroads (all members of Hoosac Tunnel Line Fast Freight Line), note the different heights and the different door openings (some open to the left, others to the right.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  12:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

Yup. SO much can be learned by looking closely at pictures like these I posted. Yet, they also create many questions!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  1:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two of the boxcars shown are for Midwest railroads.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  2:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At that point, the Eastern and the B&M were the major freight routes from Boston to Maine. ERR #96 appears to have been sold or scrapped before the 1911 cutoff date of 'Minuteman Steam', but ERR #98 was built by Rhode Island in 1881 with 17x24 cylinders.

James

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  3:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi James!

So ERR #96 (engine pictured) would be a bit earlier build, or was it of the same 1881 batch?

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  4:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my favorite part of this picture is crew in it. Their dress, their attitude to being in the picture, The guy sitting on the brake wheel.

Great stuff.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  5:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

True dat! The figures add a bunch to the pic.

All:

MY CURVED SWITCHES ARRIVED FROM THE UK!!

That's HUGE for me. SO relieved.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  5:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So how long did they actually take?

It's only make-believe

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  5:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre, the history of ERR and B&M locos in the 1800s is complicated. Numbers were re-used as locomotives were scrapped and replaced. A 1931 roster scanned by the B&MRRHS says #96 was an 1878 Rhode Island 2-6-0, scrapped 1889. They say there is a better, much revised roster done in the 1960s but I haven't found it.

James

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  5:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

Shipped from the UK on March 4th. Arrived at Customs in Chicago on the 11th, arrived here today. SO... about 1 month to the day?

James:

Boy, do I understand about convoluted rosters. (St. Louis & San Francisco is a labyrinth!) So the above loco is a product of RI in 1878. Cool! Thanks!

Andre

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  08:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,
I have the MR cyclopedia. Here is a Brooks 2-6-0 from 1883. The one caption states these locomotives were made 1870s to the 1880s.
The other pictures are of a Dickenson and a Rogers.
I can send you a bigger image if you are interested. I also have one of an early 2-8-0 and 4-4-0.

Scott

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  09:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Scott!

Yes, a larger scan of that page would be nice. I think my email address is available at my RR-Line "Profile" page. If not, holler back and I'll get it to you.

Thanks!

Andre

Gloucesterman
New Hire

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  5:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hoosac Tunnel Line train is indeed headed by an Eastern Railroad locomotive. Number 96 was one of only four moguls used on that road, as most of its business was conveying passengers up and down the coast between Boston and Portland, and it didn't need heavy motive power. Three of the moguls, including this one number 96, were built for it by the Rhode Island Locomotive Works (the fourth one was another RI Works engine but built in 1871). According to the Eastern's 1884 annual report, all three of the 1878 moguls weighed 77,050 lbs.and had 55 1/2 inch drivers with 18 x 24 inch cylinders. As of December 1883, however, the Eastern was leased by its long rival, the Boston & Maine, and so by 1884 it's likely the B&M repainted at least the markings and changed the number.

Frank

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2021 :  10:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank!

Thanks for the additional info! I like the looks of the Moguls pertaining to this mini-topic.

All:

I have two Arbour Models "Brooks" Mogul kits that have 56" drivers (it would be nice to have a 56' driver Mogul), but I'm thinking of staying with MDC-based mechanisms, which means either 51" or Mantua 60". (I don't think I'm interested in using MDC's oversized/larger than "63 inch" drivers.)

Thought about using the Arbour boilers on MDC mechanisms... but I'm uncertain if I'll do that. I may just sell the Arbour Moguls and put the funds from their sales into my MDC-based bashes.

Andre

Page: of 68 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000