Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: Dragonborn ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sliding door reefers? Topic Next Topic: Doom!... Despair!... and Ag-o-ny!
Page: of 68

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  11:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

It's that blind hog thing. Sometimes a fella' just gets lucky! Trust me, I've paid what I thought was too much for something I just knew I "had to have". Those purchases are the ones I tend to feel silly about later. Oh well!

Andre

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  1:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,
Just read thru your start of the C&P layout. Like the layout and love the back story!
It sounds like it took a lot of effort for the C&P to get over those large sacks of alloy!
He may be Bliend, but he had nerve.
I will be following.
Scott

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  3:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott:

Well I'm glad you found some entertainment in my drivel! Thanks for saying so!

I enjoy creating back stories and such. Helps to bring my themes more "alive" in my over-active imagination.

In fact, I'm already working on creating a list of crew members, some are actual railroaders I read about in my "Little Engines & Big Men" book, others are based on railroaders I've known, or knew about. Still others are model railroad friends. Here's some of them:

Enginemen:

"Silver Tip" Adams (DSP&P)
"Curley" Culligan (DSP&P)
Mike "Paddy" O'Hara (DSP&P)
Johnny "Swede" Olson (DSP&P)
"Papa" Martino (Inspired by "Dad/Pops" Martinez on the South Park)
Andrew "Andy" Nelson (DSP&P)
"Bull" Kelsey (MR friend)
"Crazy Horse" Nelson (CM)

(Note: The above names with RR initials following were actual 19th century railroaders on the road mentioned.)

Ground Crewman

"Gabby" Fagan (based on a deceased retired railroader friend)
"Irish" Mulrennin (an actual conductor in the Ozarks back in the 19th-20th centuries)
"Tiny" Wright (long time MR friend that is... umm... slightly large.)
"Short Legged Pete" O'Malley
Lincoln Penn (a new brakeman on the C&P)
"Three Fingers" Fulgim (An experienced boomer that recently hired-out to the C&P)
"Fat Dog" Duncan (a KCS railroading friend)

(Note: I used their actual RR nicknames on the railroaders I know/knew.)

Actually, I enjoy the mental shenanigans such as creating crews, town names, business names and the like. I've done the same on my freelanced 1964 Ozark diesel era layout.

Nerve...

Indeed, I.M. Bliend had nerve. In fact, the entire Board of Directors were an audacious lot to even think of penetrating the imposing and forbidding Conejos Brazos Mountains with rails of any gauge in order to reach the gold and silver tucked out there in the wilds.

All fer now!

I've got a modeling report update to type and post soon as I click the button on this one.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/12/2021 3:06:13 PM

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  3:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MDC/Mantua Update:

Spent some of my time today further exploring my kit bash idea. Though I've experimented in the past with a Mantua "Rogers" boiler, I didn't like the way I did it. I'm liking this approach a whole bunch better. Today I removed cast-on details and rough filed/sanded the remains, narrowed the width of the running boards that were under the cab, and used a different frame that already had the cylinder saddle modified for a lower boiler. Again, no glue or anything finalized as yet, but purely still in the "mock up" stage:

In all, I'm still liking where this is headed, but it sure is a ton of work. There's going be gobs of sanding, filling, smoothing to do where the cast-on details were removed. OH... and the "Goose Poop Greene" color is paint and not the color of the plastic! SO, if I'm satisfied with the way this shell turns out, I ought to be able to strip that awful green off of it and use it.

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/12/2021 3:18:05 PM

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  4:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,
Lookin' good.

Reminds me of what I have to do to convert the German locos to US in Z scale.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53375

Scott

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  4:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good... Woodburner, with that short smokebox?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  5:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott:

Oh my! Your skills are far greater than mine! I don't how in the world you model so nicely in lil' ol' Z scale!

Dave:

Just like the short smoke boxes on all the St. Louis & San Francisco engines I posted above, I intend for it to be a coal burner. In fact, it's my understanding that the D&RG NG engines from early on were coal burners, yet had short smoke boxes. It's my understanding that longer smoke boxes began to become more widespread in the 1880s.

Speaking of that short stack...

Coincidence: I just came in from my out building workbench. I had decided to attend to that lack, so I rooted around in my parts drawer marked "Smoke Stacks" and found a stack very close to the stacks used by the Frisco on their engines of 1879-1881 vintage. SO, I temporarily fitted it to my project engine:

In spite of the smoke stack's height, I'm still really liking where this idea is heading. (I will not adjust/trim its height until I see if this is the stack I end up using.)

I can see 3-4 engines on the roster with this type of boiler.

Oh, and I looked back several pages and I don't readily see the all the pics I reference, so here's the other two showing StL&SF "Frisco" power built from 1879 to 1881:

A Rogers product of 1880...

Another Baldwin product, this one built in 1879 and is depicted here in the late 1880s after the first renumbering...

In the pic of #158, it's very obvious that coal is in the tender.

HOWEVER... I've always liked wood burners.

Hmm. Maybe one or two of the first 4-4-0's still burns wood on the C&P?

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/12/2021 5:08:02 PM

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  6:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Thanks for the compliment.

Always like the old pictures! Are you going to move the sand dome forward?

Scott

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  7:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott:

The compliment is earned.

Old Pics...

ME too. Love seeing pics from the LnP eras.

Sand Dome...

Whew... don't think so on this one, but I may on a subsequent one(s). Moving the sand dome (retaining the current moldings) will mean a complete splice and another piece inserted to create distance. However, like I said, maybe later on one of the others I'm considering, but doubtful on this one.

Another option for moving the dome(s) would be to carve those off and fill/smooth, and replace with PSC domes.

Could be that once I get some PSC domes on hand, I may end up replacing these anyway, if so, that will make it much easier to move domes without having to make another splice w/filler.

On A Roll...

Thought I see how this shell combo will look on my big-driver Mogul I have in the pipeline.

First up is the diamond stack:

And here's what it looks like with whatever stack this is (Radley Hunter?):

The drivers came off a Mantua "Dixie Belle" Rogers 4-6-0 and scale out to about 60" or so. They look a lot better under a shell than those humongous ones found on MDC's tall driver OT Mogul. The MDC "63" drivers are larger than the claimed 63"! I will use .005" brass to make more correct looking counterweights.

All for now... maybe.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/12/2021 7:10:54 PM

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  9:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another mod you could do is to cut off the dome bases so they are flush with the top of the boiler, that, would lower the domes and bring them closer to the top of the cab. It also eliminates the "step in" at the bottom f the dome.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

Edited by - dave1905 on 03/12/2021 9:20:34 PM

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  11:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

That bothers you, too, huh? (I too, keep noticing the gap at the joint, and also I'm not too hep on the height of the domes account of the too tall base.)

I've thought about doing that. (Hacking the bases off near the boiler and then smooth with a file.) I do have a clearance issue on the steam dome, though, so I'm not sure the flute portion will clear the cab roof. I may find out tomorrow.

If the dome fouls the cab roof and it turns out to be a fail, I can use PSC domes.

New Book:

Just found out a night or two ago that the author of "Little Engines & Big Men" that I enjoy so much, authored a book that followed LE&BM that includes more experiences, anecdotes, tales, and such, on the D&RG:

Found one on the Bay very reasonably priced, so it's headed my way.

Parting Shot:

I tell 'ya, I am so glad that I've come up with a way that I can finally have a shot at a Colorado TOC19 layout. Hopefully, I'll have it 100% operational before year's end. This time, I am NOT going to chicken-out on the backdrops or scenery. This time, for better or for worse, I'm going to put on my Big Boy pants and go for it!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  07:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Looks like a good read. I like books for inspiration.

The only thing better than a good book to get a personís mind in the right place for modeling is seeing layouts. If you havenít already you might want to get on your bike and see Harry Brunkís layout in the Cheyenne WY depot, when things open up again.

Mike

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  10:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another option for a low driver 4-6-0 with evenly spaced drivers is to take a 2-8-0 and remove the first driver. Remove part of the frame where the first driver was to make room for a 2 axle pilot truck. The irst driver will probably have to be moved to the 2nd driver position, and remounted with the gear on it. This strategy keeps the frame and gear train intact and eliminates structural joints in the frame. The size of the frame depends on whether you choose a 50" or 60-63" driver 2-8-0. One of the biggest gaps for our era is the lack of mechanisms with 55-56" drivers.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  11:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

Can't wait on the book. We sold our Harley after the Harley Experiment was over (which lasted about 7 years) we sold the HD. Now we only ride "dual sport" bikes. (Bikes capable of off-road and some on-road.) SO, if we ever pass through Cheyenne, WY again, it would be in the cage. Magazine-level layouts are fun to view, but where I live I don't get that opportunity at all. I seriously doubt either of my layouts would ever be "magazine-level".

Dave:

Hadn't really thought of starting with a 2-8-0 to get a 4-6-0, but I can mentally "see" your idea now.

Yes, we really need 56" drivers. I think the two Arbour Brooks Mogul kits I have contain 56" drivers... but looking them over... I doubt I'll ever build them. (Like sell them.)

Ongoing Concept Build:

I went ahead and sawed off and filed smooth the dome bases to try to get away from that "perched" look. The dome height as well as dome-to-base fit really looks tons better. However, as suspected, the steam dome fouls ever so slightly against the cab roof now, resulting in either the dome canted forward ever so slightly, or the cab lifted ever so slightly. Take yer pick. It's always something with the mish-mash ideas I have.

Anyway, here's the result with both diamond and Radley Hunter stacks placed:

I have a set of set of PSC C-16 domes on hand that will work (and probably look better doing it), but then I would have to carefully file both the existing bases off the boiler and fill/smooth. More work!

It's never as quick n' simple as my mind thinks it will be.

EDIT: By the way, that 2-8-0 frame has a Sagami 16x30mm installed and it's a smooth son-of-a-gun. THAT part of it makes these Mantua boilers GREAT: They readily fit a Sagami 16x30 without all the modification it takes on an MDC cast weight boiler!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/13/2021 11:08:49 AM

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  11:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The deliberations on drivers, dome placement, stacks, etc, is very interesting.
Since no one is doing this in Z scale, and since you are doing this close to my era, this will be helpful for my builds.

What do you use for the big head light? I grew mine in SLA in clear material so it acts like a light pipe. I ask because it can be scaled up to use on HO.

Scott

Page: of 68 Previous Topic: Sliding door reefers? Topic Next Topic: Doom!... Despair!... and Ag-o-ny!  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000