Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 192 ]  [ Total: 194 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks
Page: of 68

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2021 :  5:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Track Plan version 1.2...

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2021 :  9:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out Wild West Models. They have excellent log buildings. I'll be starting two soon.
Crude details can often be replace with nice ones for big differences.
The new track plan is better but I think you need more roundhouse at a lease one end.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2021 :  10:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi 'Ya Bob!

Wild West Models:

Good tip! Love 'em! A bit pricey... but nice stuff. I also see some of their paints, washes, and blackener that I could be interested in.

Crude details:

Yup. That's what I was trying to say, just that my words got in the way.

"Need more roundhouse". (Cowbell?):

Perhaps. However, I already feel like the closet vignette is a "freebie". I was originally just going to use it for fiddle staging and as a continuous run provision. However, now I get to have that cool little mini-scene in there that is an actual place to switch and assemble trains. I mentally "see" it as a small sub division point. Sort of like Wild Horse on the CM or something along that line. I also envision it as being some distance from the main portion of the layout

Speaking of the closet "Redcloud" scene: I've already decided since it will be in the closet, thus detached from the rest of the layout, and seeing as trying to paint a back drop in the cramped quarters would be frustrating, I've already decided on the "Instant Horizons" printed backdrops I want to use in there and have begun watching eBay for same. (Apparently like so many things in this hobby, "Instant Horizons/SceneMaster" backdrops are out of production or so far back-ordered I'll be at the rest home by the time they're back in stock.)

Pleasant surprise:

Did my switch inventory today. IF I make no seat-of-the-pants changes as I make two minor revisions on my big layout, and assuming the current C&P track plan stays as is, once I receive my Shinohara curved switch order from the UK, I'll have enough switches on hand to do both: The revisions on the big layout, and the needed switches for the C&P layout.

Impulse, or well thought out?...

Purchased a NIB vintage RTR Roundhouse 2-8-0 today, too. I'm thoroughly impressed with the one I have, so much so, that I'll be watching eBay for RTR 2-6-0's and 2-8-0's to replace my much older brass wheel versions. (The later RTR's have NS wheels.) Not too hep on the Athearn/Genesis DCC/Sound 2-8-0 I purchased last year. Sort of looks "funky". I foresee some work ahead to address the funkiness.

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/05/2021 10:53:56 PM

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  7:13:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I received my 2-8-0 I mentioned above. Runs fantastic! Here 'tis...

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  7:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations!

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  11:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike!

And this one shipped today!

This will make four later model MDC w/NS drivers and tender wheelsets. They are destined to be the C&P's "latest greatest" for use in helper service on those tough cuss switchbacks!

Andre

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  3:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Kludge Locomotive Works" news....

The Shop Foreman at KLW, "I. Hackengouge", has had another bright idea. So, the shop forces are busy building a mock-up to test his theory.

Here's what they have so far...

What yer lookin' at:

I had a junk Mantua/Tyco "10 Wheeler" shell laying around, so I decided to see if I could make an 1870s looking shell for an MDC 2-8-0 frame/mech. After some hackin' gougin' the above is what is shaping up. I think I like it. I will likely lower the boiler to snuggle down a bit more on the drivers, and I'm also thinking bashing the MDC arched cab into a peaked cab.

Bottom line is, though, I like where this is headed and may call it a "Definite Maybe". Could even spread to that Mogul mock-up (Mantua drivers into an MDC frame) in the background.

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  5:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks good, and will look even better with the boiler lowered.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  8:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Defiantly a very good start. Remove all that cast on piping, the dynamo would improve thing. Remove the Boiler ban by the cut and add one about 6" in front of the sand dome and just start adding details you want. It's a go!

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  9:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

I definitely think it has promise. There's a lot still to do. I was actually just testing the waters (this shell has a lot of issues, and that green plastic... yuck!), however, I do believe the concept is a keeper. I'll probably start watching eBay for those Mantua/Tyco shells and pick them up if in usable condition and reasonably priced. I have several (2-3?) of these boiler conversions in mind, some with a peaked cab, others with an arch/etc.

Bob:

Oh yes, all the cast-on stuff has to go. If I decide to use this particular boiler, then there's still lots to do. Why, the two portions aren't even joined at the splice! (Just two portions are just sitting in place.) Further, I may not use this shell on account of the cast green will look awful if/when the top coat paints wear off a bit at various corners/edges and a trace of that awful green shows.

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/11/2021 9:20:40 PM

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  10:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way...

Picked up a very good deal on a like-new Athearn/Genesis Old Time 2-8-0 with DCC/Sound. Less than 1/2 price of what I paid for mine shortly after they were released last year. (Oh, and they've have been totally sold out at Athearn for some time now.)

Guess it just goes to show that every now n' then even a blind hog can root up an acorn!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 03/11/2021 10:48:52 PM

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  10:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to show a pic...

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  11:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
go going!!!

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  11:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope I done good. I'll know more about it once delivered!

I've gotta' stop this spending spree.

Eventually all the recent purchases will pass through the shops and get back-dated and "personalized", but for now they'll run "as is". (Well, the non-DCC one's will need to get DCC/Sound installed.)

This makes five 2-8-0's w/NS drivers/tender wheels. I need to migrate toward watching for 2-6-0's w/NS wheels.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  09:03:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You’re a lucky guy, Andre.

Page: of 68 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000