Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 15

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  2:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool. The best to you.
ed

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2017 :  3:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, you might find the first page of this thread interesting;
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49334

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/28/2017 :  7:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed!

Thanks for the well wishes. I do hope retirement turns out to be what I hope it will be.

Hi Bob!

Long time, no chat. However, I have been watching (and enjoying) your updates to your CV&WB thread.

Thanks for that link. I understand in part where "Dan" is coming from. Health wise, I'm doing quite good. (Overall health, BP 120/75 or so, joints, dexterity, etc.) Much better than average for my age. (For that I am very thankful.) I'm still able to ride dirt bikes, fly control line model airplanes at 100+ MPH, and more. However, Old Fartdom comes at one a bit quicker than any of us realize, thus I too, am re-evaluating and prioritizing.

Here's a look at the progress I've made over the past couple of days. First up is an overall view of the workshop/supply storage area:

And here's my workbench that I'm still organizing/optimizing:

And here's where the railroad will go:

The layout can utilize that entire side of the room between the HVAC and wall. I will not be using a duck under to access the operational area. There will likely be a stand-inside helix (for cleaning/maintenance) that will be accessed by using a mechanic's roller chair. The roller chair will also be used for under layout wiring work/etc.

Now... need to get off this computer and get in there to the kitchen table and resume working on a track plan!

All fer now!

Edited by - OK Hogger on 10/28/2017 7:56:25 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  12:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on retirement and welcome back Andre! That empty space looks very tempting. A thought to keep dust to a minimum as the layout share space with the work area could be to use a air cleanser in the room. I have one in the layout room and it helps keeping the layout dustfree.

Håkan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  3:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hakan!

Great seeing you here again! Even though I haven't had anything to contribute at this forum, along with Bob's thread, I've also kept up with your CR&NCo thread. Love your work. I never tire of seeing pictures of it.

Air cleanser? The HVAC has filters... but of what do you reference? A link perhaps?

As for my C&P idea...

I've decided that I want it to offer decent operational fun amidst some very "imaginative" mountains. Even if this means I'll need to take some liberties in regards to squeezing in a few online industries. However, it's main emphasis will be helpers through ridiculous mountains. Owing to my new, smaller constraints, the tracks will be quite minimal and only represent a short helper section of a larger "system".

Also, I have come to the conclusion that what I find most appealing with TOC19 steam is the thought of small engines tackling impossible mountains.

I also accept that I am of the "Funky Fantastic" persuasion, and I do hope I have the creativity needed to concoct, and learn to create, a layout that I enjoy looking at and operating as it develops.

To illustrate, here's a couple of pics from one of my "inspirational" folders. First up is a picture of Malcolm Furlow's Denver & Rio Chama...

Though I doubt I'll go such extremes in regards to verticality/etc, I must say that such a scene stirs my imagination!

Here's another picture from another of my "inspirational" folders...

I don't know who's work the last picture is, but I do like the overall "feel" of the scenery, though I will not be portraying such a large industry.

There is still so much to consider, and I still don't have a "Version 1" trackplan!

All fer now!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  3:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, the last shot is in my Inspiration file too. It's the work of Frederic Testard. His work is found here;
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22575

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  4:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bob for supplying information on that picture!

Frederic and I used to correspond waaaay back when I was trying to do Sn3. Sn3 is a PERFECT size for a narrow gauge modeler. I turned out to be too lazy to do all the intensive kit/kit-bashing/scratch building required to do TOCn19 modeling in Sn3. (I'm back into TOC19 modeling because of the Bachmann NT 4-4-0's that can be had RTR with DCC and acceptable sound.)

I can see from just a quick glance at that thread you linked that I will be filling up another "inspiration" folder with pictures!

In all, I feel very excited about the possibility of having an outlet for my TOC19 interest via downsizing my planned scope.

Right at 30 years ago, I designed a completely self standing sectional layout that had something like 75' of mainline run, some minimal staging, and a connecting helix for continuous run. This was all within 9' square exterior. I got all of the bench work built and the homasote installed. It was my intention to use the cubicle layout as my outlet for TOC19, while my main layout (a tri-level diesel theme housed in a 24' RV trailer) was my outlet for my diesel interest. Anyway, some of my model railroad friends came over for a look see at my layouts. A friend of a friend offered to purchase the entire cubicle layout at a very good price. Well... hard to pass up hard cash! While he was gone to get his truck, I unbolted the sections and when he returned we loaded it into his pick up truck and off it went! Downside: I can't find the plans to that 9' cubicle... was going to take a look at how I solved some issues thereon for possible help in opening up some options for me this go around.

Anyway, it's great to have the hope of a reasonably sized TOC19 layout once more. It's been a long time since I've indulged myself into hands-on modeling of TOC19. (For the past 15+ years, V scale has essentially been my only medium/outlet for TOC19.)

I'm hoping for the best!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  6:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I'm wishing you the best.

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  9:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankee Mr. Harris!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  9:11:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andre,
I meant a machine that circulates the air in the room through a filter. Here is a link:
http://www.toptenreviews.com/health/wellness/best-air-purifiers/

I have a Coway. It helps keep the layout dustfree. Its so sensitive that it even starts if I in the other end of the basement have sawn something or used a spraycan

Håkan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  11:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hakan:

Thanks for the info on an air purifier! I have bookmarked that page and will investigate the idea more fully at the appropriate time!

All:

Wow... the room constraints I'm trying to work with are kicking my butt BIG TIME in regards to developing a mainline that I can be happy with and yet avoid all the things it's got to avoid (windows, entryway, HVAC, etc, etc!)

Going to dig out all my old track plans that I can find that I drew over the decades and look through them for some idea fodder. I'm also looking at as many track plans as I find online.

The perfect room for track planning: A room with NO windows, NO wall mounted devices, NO doorways ( ), essentially NO obstructions AND containing unlimited space!!

Ah, to dream.

Edited by - OK Hogger on 10/30/2017 11:45:25 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  08:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got one of these for $100 when Grizzly put them on sale. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Hanging-Air-Filter-3-Speed/G0738

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  5:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link/input, Dave. I suppose that unit does not REQUIRE suspension in order to function correctly?

Back to the drawing board to see what develops on the track plan!!

Edited by - OK Hogger on 10/31/2017 5:05:01 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  5:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Thanks for the link/input, Dave. I suppose that unit does not REQUIRE suspension in order to function correctly?

Back to the drawing board to see what develops on the track plan!!

It works best when suspended. But I used it sitting on the floor to 'suck up dust' when they sanded our wood floors prior to putting on the new finish.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  5:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to seeing your layout progress.

I think the model railroading law of relativity goes something like this: space available is infinite until you start drawing a track plan, at which point it shrinks at an ever-increasing rate with every inch of track added to the plan.

I can assure you it's been proven scientifically by Albert Eisenbahn.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 15 Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000