Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: DanielR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New W&N Topic Next Topic: Max Engine Miles per Hour
Page: of 55

RyanAK
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  11:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the progress youíve made. Such a neat layout. Keep on it, Hogger!

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  2:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some belated replies...

Bob:

I got lazy and didn't get out to see the Big Boy. I sort of regret that now... but it seemed like the thing to do at the time.

Yes, I've been pleased with the overall performance of my older NCE over the 12+ years I've owned it and messed with it.

HŚkan:

Yes, I hope the NCE will last the lifetime of this layout. I purchased all at once so all the items are compatible as to versions, and I shouldn't need to add to the system later. I could possibly be interested in one more "cab", but honestly, four operators out there would definitely have the potential for clogging up the alcove area. Three trains moving at once will likely have to be the maximum.

Like you, I don't have any interest in using my phone (WiFi). With the tactile nature of the NCE handhelds, one can learn to adjust speed, direction, and a few other rudimentary functions, by feel. Can't really do that with a flat, featureless, screen that requires LOOKING at where your finger is placed on the screen for control.

Ryan:

Thanks. So far it's proving to be what I had hoped for. Next time I have the steam stuff on it, I'll snap a few pics. (Diesels are on it currently.)

All:

Over the past week I've installed Caboose Industries switch throws at ALL switch locations. Gone are the temporary fiddle-some safety pin throws. The installation of the Caboose throws has really made a world of difference in making switching easier.

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2019 :  4:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Itís good to see an update and to read of your progress.

Iím pleased with my NCE and donít see going the cell phone route either.

Meanwhile, installing switch throws is fussy work but so necessary to good operation. Iíve tried sticking to the rule of installing them as soon as Iím happy with new trackwork.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  12:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A follow up...

Unfortunately, my planned Saturday rendezvous with the second group of two train nut friends didn't pan out. Took a direct shot of the "crud" on Friday, and by that evening I had no voice, only being able to whisper. I had no choice but call off the Saturday operating session.

The final days prior to the ill fated session, I had created/printed simplistic switch lists and manifest sheets for use on switch jobs and through freights.

I had also entered the car #'s and destinations on the switch lists and had the manifest sheets ready for the through trains that were to run.

Oh well, maybe later this week.

Though I'm still firmly entrenched in my 1960s diesel era (trying to get it up to operational speed), I still thoroughly enjoy seeing/reading about TOC19 endeavors such as prototype history, prototype pictures, and TOC19 modeling efforts of others.

"One of these days" the layout will be converted to accommodate my late 1880s era and my fledgling group of operators (all operator prospects to date have diesel-oriented interests) will get a chance to operate under totally new circumstances with drastically different motive power and operating practices.

However, for now, they just need to learn the basics via the more simplistic railroad world of diesels.

Occasionally, I will see prototype pictures that can be superimposed onto the Ozarks with a bit of imagination. I recently saw this picture on one of the several TOC19 Facebook pages I frequent:

Aside from that Belpaire firebox, THAT scene could represent many locations in the Ozarks in the late 1880s-early 1890s. Love the small diameter logs on the flat car!

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 01/06/2020 12:52:29 PM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  5:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just saw these today and found them fascinating.

Thought of you all and decided to share downsized versions of them here. These are from the Portland Lumber Company up at Grays River, WA. Circa TOC19.

Whereas I'm quite happy with my Ozark theme, I can't help but feel that these photos could be quite inspiring for someone dabbling with the idea of a proto-lanced NW US logging theme via On30, or even HO std gauge.

And, after sharing pictures of your layout, should someone play the "Too Funky" card on 'ya... you could show them these pics!!

All fer now.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  5:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
love these pictures! Quite the contrast from a 1880's main.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/08/2020 :  09:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed them!

The logging pictures are fascinating. Such a tight, small hollow to work within!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/08/2020 :  12:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hm.

Don't know what kind of glitch that was, but I posted my above post several hours ago and it never showed as an update within the thread listing?

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  2:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Even though I'm hip deep in my diesel era, I'm still looking to the future and my 1880s era. Just picked up this NIB earlier today:

Nickle silver wheels/etc. Currently, the roster projects are heavy with 2-6-0's and not enough 2-8-0's. This will help some!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  3:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Even though I'm hip deep in my diesel era, I'm still looking to the future and my 1880s era. Just picked up this NIB earlier today:

Nickle silver wheels/etc. Currently, the roster projects are heavy with 2-6-0's and not enough 2-8-0's. This will help some!

Andre

Some indeed, put a AHM Reno body over the drive. I think you'll like the results.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 55 Previous Topic: New W&N Topic Next Topic: Max Engine Miles per Hour  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000