Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 53 ]  [ Total: 56 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Upgrading a Pocher boxcar Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 54

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  09:20:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks pretty darn good, Andre.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  10:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike!

Aside from the interruptions and some delays, total time invested was less than 2 hours... and much of that was learning how to do it!

I think it's going to be a quick way to add some place holders hither n' yon on the layout.

As I type, I'm going through my texture library looking for usable 1960s Ozark structures. Most of my really cool stuff has "Colorado" stamped all over it.

Here's what I'm currently dabbling with (addressing "keystone", removing unwanted features, etc) in my photo software;

The likes of the basic structure can be evidenced in many places in the Ozarks, 1960s in particular, but that dark bergundy color is atypical for the Ozarks. Would commonly be plain white.

All fer now!

Andre

EDIT: Replaced the original photo with one that better illustrates the process.

Edited by - OK Hogger on 07/31/2019 10:18:29 AM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  1:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!

Layout/equipment wise, I'll be on my diesel theme for a while, as I try to get at least one of my eras up and operational.

SO... my posting of updates will slow significantly, but I will try to share things that are appropriate to our common theme here.

All fer now. Off to a friend's birthday party!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  1:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW...

I have piddled with my steam engines. I've been applying myself to learn DCC as in how to assign engine numbers, modify performance and sound features, as well as how to create/use "consists" (multiple units responding as one unit).

As of now, I have all of my Bachmann 4-4-0's w/Sound Value decoders assigned numbers. I've also dabbled with the whistle selection the Sound Value decoder offers (only 3 whistle options). I've retained the factory default whistles on two of them, and assigned one of the three optional whistles to another, and the final whistle option to the another engine. That gives me three whistle types on four engines. Cool! OH, and seeing as I'll be modeling the late 1880s, it is appropriate for the engines to have air pumps, so I activated the single phase air pump sound that's resident in the Sound Value decoder. (The air pump sound is silenced from the factory on account of the models reflect engines without air.)

Gotta' admit, they sounded SO good sitting there with those single phase air pumps panting. My 1880s era is going to be SOOOO fun.

NOW I'm off to that birthday party!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  3:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, Air brakes were still being tested in the late 80's and not adopted until the new century.
(I like the sound of the air pump too)

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  5:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

Well, my reading and photos show differently?

For example, the first Schenectady-built 2-8-0's of the Colorado Midland came with air pumps, and they were delivered to the CM in 1886?

Also, the D&RG began receiving engines from the builders with air pumps in the early 1880s? Construction photos of the Marshall Pass line (early 1880s) show engines w/air pumps?

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  7:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
passenger equipment started in 1879. The Colorado Midland and Northern Pacific lead the way on freight equipment but everybody else was dragged there by the evil central government.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a9-pc07KKc

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  9:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Okay... so the video says late 1880s... photos indicate the D&RG, CM, and NP (and ??) were some of the exceptions. Either way, "late 1880s" sounds like I can model air cars and non-air cars. Using a CM's Employee Timetable as an example, air cars will have to be handled up front, non-air behind.

SO, in layout and model building terms: More switching. More "operation". Don't HAVE to have air brake castings under ALL cars.

Sounds good to me! Seems like a win-win.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  10:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, exactly. And Engines dedicate to a particular service because they were equipped with air brakes. Head end helpers had to coupled in front of the road engine if they didn't have air brakes. It adds a lot of fun. I plan to have the compressors and other hardware being uncrated in the shops. My passenger engines will have air brakes.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  11:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 1888 Equipment Register lists cars equipped with airbrakes all over the US. But most railroads had them in relatively small numbers.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  11:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

The 1888 Equipment Register lists cars equipped with airbrakes all over the US. But most railroads had them in relatively small numbers.

Mike

Mike, about what percent of the Southern Pacific have Air brakes in 88?

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  08:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

In 1888 the Southern Pacific Company (aka Pacific System S P Co.) with all its subsidiaries owned 11,022 cars. Thatís everything, including Central Pacific RR, Southern Pacific RR, Southern Pacific Co., etc. A footnote states that ďAll freight cars of the Pacific SystemĒ were fitted with automatic air brakes, except for the S P Co. Northern Division (684 cars) and the Sacramento & Placerville and Sacramento Valley Railroads (40 cars).

Mike

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  09:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Omaha Public Library has MCB annual reports back into the late 1800's. I read a few from the late 1800's and early 1900's. In their they have the results of disputes over car repair charges. One railroad repairs a car, charges the owning railroad for the repairs and the owning railroad disputes the charges. It was amazing the small amounts of the charges, many less than $5. The SP surfaced in several of the disputes as a third party to the dispute. A railroad replaced air hoses or repaired a train line on a car and charged the owning road, but the owning road refused the charges because the car was not equipped with air brakes. The common thread in these cases was the car had been on the SP and the SP equipped the other road's car with a train line and air hoses so it could mix the cars in with its trains of cars that had air brakes. The car then returned home, off the SP and the train line or air hose failed and was replaced and the owning road was charged.

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  09:31:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave H, great story!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  12:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave H and Mike, Thank you. And apologies Andre.
Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: Upgrading a Pocher boxcar Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000